By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are some of the most obscure games that you've played and absolutely love?

Game_God said:
pbroy said:

Damn you... Now I want to play that

Have you ever played it?

Nope. Looked it up and read Racing game with RPG and it reminds me of Initial D. Love that show.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

Do text games count???
If so...
Analogue: A Hate Story...
Great soundtrack and compelling story...

Have a nice day...

kaeru no tame ni kane wa naru (JP) a.k.a. The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls

It was a Gameboy game that only was released in Japan but it does have a fan translation. If you liked Zelda: Link's Awakening then you should like this game.

Folklore for the ps3

Bishi Bashi Special PS1

here is a wikipedia description of one of the mini games:

Shake the can into outer space!Players mash all the game buttons to shake a soft drink can. After a fixed period of time, all cans are placed on Space Shuttle launchpads, and launched into space with their pent-up fizz. The winner is whoever's can flies the furthest from Earth. If the player is particularly good, their can will be powerful enough to slam into the moon.

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

They may not all be obscure and loved, but there is one game that I've really enjoyed but never hear anyone else talk about.

Dragon Ball: Advanced Adventure is an action/platforming/brawler/fighter/thingy adaptation of the famous anime for the Game Boy Advance. Unlike most game adaptations of the franchise, which emphasize the "Z" era, this game focused on Goku's adventures back when he has a cute kid who flew around using a magic cloud. I appreciate this; although DBZ is more popular, and mostly for good reasons, I think Goku's earlier days are a better fit for most games outside your standard fighters.

There are a couple of distinct modes, but the main focus is the main storyline. It loosely recreates the early adventures of Goku. This means the story is something of a mess, but it manages to set up the levels and enemies for you to face. There are 15(ish) levels total, which are replayable, which are typically fairly long and contain variety within them. We'll get to that in a minute.

Despite being seems to be a fairly simple action game, Advanced Adventure gives Goku quite a few options.There's the standard walking, running, jumping, and a basic melee option, but there's a hidden amount of depth, especially as you find upgrades via finding collectables and progressing through the story. Goku can use his trusty power pole to deflect bullets and bombs, use said pole to perform attacks over larger areas and bash multiple enemies, charge and use energy attacks, wall jump, etc.

Levels are diverse enough to give players a chance to use this entire arsenal. Most sections of levels are structured similarly to standard platforming levels, albeit with a design philosophy more akin to the Final Fight school of action games. Fighting opponents is the most important task, and even many regular enemies will need to be dealt with, but traditional platforming and exploration are regularly rewarded, especially in some of the later maze-like levels. The second type of "section" is the flying section, autoscrolling levels where Goku travels on his Nimbus cloud through the air. Despite my usual dislike of many autoscrolling levels in this sort of game, the controls' being similar to the usual and cooperative behavior of your ride make these a fun change of pace.

The third and most distinct type of a level is "Fighting" mode. The game's controls are slightly different here, becoming more akin to a traditional fighting game, albeit one with an emphasis on mobility and juggling opponents over picking the correct move. This mode is a bit more different than normal to be ideal, but can still be easily picked up and dropped after the other sections. The same buttons do the same things, even though the game's mechanics change. This "Fighting" mode lends the game two big gifts. First, it helps recreate the "Martial Arts" aspect of many Dragon Ball fights, especially in the tournaments. Not all bosses are fought this way, but many are. Second, it is the basis of the game's multiplayer. Two players can select fighters and compete in a traditional fighting game. The character roster is apparently pretty large for the GBA, with something like 20 or so playable fighters. Unlocking them all is far from simple, but this still adds a fair amount of value to the package.

Regular enemies in this game are largely forgettable, including a combination of humanoid and robotic foes with both close and long ranged options. Seeing as how you are going to be defeating a bunch of them at once though, and they have to be able to fit in a wide diversity of environments, that is acceptable. Bosses, on the other hand, are quite enjohyable. Even ignoring tournament stages, which are essentially Fighting Mode boss rushes, the game will offer quite a few bosses, which are generally quite distinct and colorful. Unlike DBZ, early Dragon Ball had Goku fighting a wider array of opponents than the technicolor humanoid destroyer of worlds that day. You get to face giant beast men, teams of mechs, a magical shapeshifting pig, an obese Kirby that hates cold weather, and so on. Even the humanoid enemies have their own unique flavors. The super ninja is actually a team of five identical brothers who tagteam opponents, the flamboyant Brownshirt wannabe uses psychic powers to stun Goku, the blue devil flies around attacking you with a trident while you avoid falling into an endless pit, and so on. Even though they're taken from the source material, bosses are adapted to the specific genre in interesting ways to make fighting them enjoyable while feeling like they originally did in Dragon Ball.

Before I finish, a few things: there are dozens of items to collect from the various levels, which often provide great rewards for exploring and replaying old levels; beating the game lets you play the story as Krillin, who has a slightly different skillset than Goku; the graphics are perfectly fine for the GBA and stylistically on the mark; music is only okay, but the sound effects are excellent; minigames that show up are intuitive and can be replayed for high scores.

This game was a bit overshadowed by coming out right after the DS and PSP were launched, but I recommend playing this game if you come across it.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network
pbroy said:
Game_God said:

Have you ever played it?

Nope. Looked it up and read Racing game with RPG and it reminds me of Initial D. Love that show.

It has to be one of the best games I've ever played, unfortunatly it was never released outside of Japan, since it's a RPG all in japanese, the game is quite difficult to follow story wise, lucky for me I have a friend who can read & understand enough japanese for us to play it. The sound track is mind bending & suits the game just per-fec-tly!

For you, the beginning of the game (that jazzy soundtrack...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka0GLYZRU_I

All I can say to you is that the game just sucks you in, the atmosphere of the night racing underworld of Yokohama, the combat/race system, the tuning of the cars... all the events, the music... I have goosebumps just speaking of it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Two of my favorites that most haven't heard of: Space Griffon VF-9 and Devil Dice on the PSX.

Devil Dice was just one of those unique 'simple to learn, tough to master' puzzler gems where you'd look up after a round and realise you'd lost an hour. The follow-up 'Bombastic' on the PS2 just didn't hold the same simplistic charm.

VF-9 was a mech-based dungeon crawler with an interesting story and full (though maybe not the best) voice acting. It hasn't aged all that well, but I'd love to see it reborn with dual-shock support so they finally have the impetus to follow up on the sequel threatened at the end. I still go back to it from time to time...

Zisbest said:
Now that I think about it... probably Shenmue. The story is kinda weird, but at the same time pretty epic. That's what I love about this game, making it one of my favourites.

Shenmue is hardly obscure! It was on the cover of many magazines and sold hundreds of thousands of copies. A lot of games in this thread can hardly be described as obscure.

-The shmup game Shooting Love 10th Anniversary for the 360 showed like 18 people with the game on True Achievements when I picked up the game after it had been out for about a week. That is obscure. A niche game for a niche community on a niche console (in Japan).

-I love PuyoPuyo Tetris. It has a fantastic single-player story mode (!) and great 4-player local multiplayer (online as well). The game tanked on PS4 and Xbox One in Japan and is only available as a physical purchase in Japan for Tetris-rights reasons. Both versions are region free, import friendly, and are strongly recomended. Although, the Xbox One version includes the DLC free on the disc and the PS4 version does not, so pick up the Xbox One version.

Edit: Two-player Typing of the Dead on the Dreamcast is insanely fun.

Right now I remember Atelier Iris 3, Project Justice, The Last Blade II, Denjin Makai II, Battle Circuit, Dynamite Headdy, Seiken Densetsu 3 and Demon's Crest.

Paatar said:

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn

The most underrated game in an underrated franchise (Before Awakening was released)
It is regarded as the hardest game in the franchise
Most Fire Emblem fans prefer the other games

Despite that, it is my favorite game of all time, in my favorite franchise of all time.

Is Radiant Dawn really an obscure title? If it is, it makes me sad. RD was one of the best games in the series.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread