By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I dont understand the hate Anita Sarkeesian is recieved over Mirrors Edge 2

What do you think of Anita

She sucks! 196 61.83%

Shes awesome! 18 5.68%

Don't care 60 18.93%

Sometimes I agree with he... 43 13.56%

Total:317
S.T.A.G.E. said:
OttoniBastos said:

She doesn't have any qualification to work in game's development.She don't even play Video games as she said in one youtube video.

She is just a person with her on political agenda who chose VG as a hot topic for discussion.

The first time I saw on of her Youtube videos, she said she was a big fans of gaming and had been gaming since she was a little girl. She might have an agenda, but the online gamers are giving her fuel when she speaks to the mass media and at gamer conferences.

Yes she said that and that is one of the first things that triggered the gamesgate people cause after that someone found a a video of Anita giving somekind of "lecture"(i don't know if that is the right word sorry) where she is talking about female vs gamming and she says she never was into gamming.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Augen said:
I have no issue and pay her no mind. To me she brings to mind various figures in politics and religion who know there is an audience or market to make money on by stating certain views that reinforce their own. She figured out targeting games over other media would make her far more of a lightning rod in the internet arena and bolster her profile and in turn make her more money. If it were not for gaming sites and communities constantly telling me to be angry about her I never would have heard of her.

Its interesting that you say this, because I don't know how famous she would've become without gamergate. Her popularity skyrocketed.

Or before that her Kickstarter which seemed to stir a hornets nest (how I was introduced to her existence) on some forums.

I think of her like Ann Coulter or Al Sharpton types who thrive on attention and want to be in spotlight in any given controversy as the "go to" person on issues.  I wouldn't be surprised if she wrote a book (if she has not already) to plug and sell on various outlets.

TruckOSaurus said:
I realize Anita Sarkeesian is a controversial person but let's stay away from insults like "nut-job" and "feminazi". If you don't like her or her views, please explain why you think that way and leave the insults out. (For the record, most of the replies are doing it the right way)

Just curious, why our rules are there to protect her while any other person I am sure we could insult endlessly?

Not that I have any idea who this woman is or anything about Gamergate. This is the only thing I have really read up on in this whole "scandal". Just wondering if in the future we can expect to get banned for insulting other public figures 

the_real_dsister44 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
I realize Anita Sarkeesian is a controversial person but let's stay away from insults like "nut-job" and "feminazi". If you don't like her or her views, please explain why you think that way and leave the insults out. (For the record, most of the replies are doing it the right way)

Just curious, why our rules are there to protect her while any other person I am sure we could insult endlessly?

Not that I have any idea who this woman is or anything about Gamergate. This is the only thing I have really read up on in this whole "scandal

We're more leanient on insults of people outside the site (which is why there was a thread warning and the moderations handed out were only warnings thus far) but as a general rule insulting anyone is not a desired conduct on VGC.

Signature goes here!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
OttoniBastos said:

She doesn't have any qualification to work in game's development.She don't even play Video games as she said in one youtube video.

She is just a person with her on political agenda who chose VG as a hot topic for discussion.

The first time I saw on of her Youtube videos, she said she was a big fan of gaming and had been gaming since she was a little girl. She might have an agenda, but the online gamers are giving her fuel when she speaks to the mass media and at gamer conferences.

Hatemail and death threats are something almost everybody who speaks their mind get. There are plenty of people who are anti femisist or MRAs who get death threats and hate mail just the same...they aren't a byproduct of mysogyny, they are a biproduct of anonymity. While it is shitty, her exploitative use of these threats, is just as misrepresentative and bias as her "insights" on video games.

In no way do they prove her right about anything or give anybody a reason to stand behind her "cause"

Around the Network

She's a fraud, and she's using ignorance to try and make changes in an industry she admittedly knows nothing about. She doesn't play video games. So gamers are going to react negatively no matter what she does in the gaming world.

sundin13 said:

Hatemail and death threats are something almost everybody who speaks their mind get. There are plenty of people who are anti femisist or MRAs who get death threats and hate mail just the same...they aren't a byproduct of mysogyny, they are a biproduct of anonymity. While it is shitty, her exploitative use of these threats, is just as misrepresentative and bias as her "insights" on video games.

In no way do they prove her right about anything or give anybody a reason to stand behind her "cause"

Whats wrong with her exploiting threats? if you were an opinionated person who wasnt afraid of making your voice heard, wouldn't you exploit extremist opposition to prove that there is problem? I mean, I'm not sayng she's right, but the fuel shes gathering isn't coming from thin air. Its coming from somewhere and she's using it in her speeches. Also, some of the hate speech that she has gained does display misogyny...including from the letter of the guy who created the threat of violence at one of her college speeches which ended up beig canceled.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Whats wrong with her exploiting threats? if you were an opinionated person who wasnt afraid of making your voice heard, wouldn't you exploit extremist opposition to prove that there is problem? I mean, I'm not sayng she's right, but the fuel shes gathering isn't coming from thin air. Its coming from somewhere and she's using it in her speeches. Also, some of the hate speech that she has gained does display misogyny...including from the letter of the guy who set up the bomb threat.

Pfft. If you are posting online andf not getting death threats than you aren't trying hard enough. I have gotten some from posting oon here and reddit. Yet you don't see me using them to push my anti Canadian agenda 

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Whats wrong with her exploiting threats? if you were an opinionated person who wasnt afraid of making your voice heard, wouldn't you exploit extremist opposition to prove that there is problem? I mean, I'm not sayng she's right, but the fuel shes gathering isn't coming from thin air. Its coming from somewhere and she's using it in her speeches. Also, some of the hate speech that she has gained does display misogyny...including from the letter of the guy who set up the bomb threat.

Err...because its misleading. She is saying "these threats I am receiving prove that my point of view is correct and that gaming as a whole is mysogynistic", which isn't true. As I said, there are a few bad apples in every bunch, they don't prove anything. She is focusing on all of the wrong things, in a way to draw the most ire from people, possibly because she doesn't have a leg to stand on when it comes to valid criticisms...

She is also giving these people attention by repeatedly talking about them and bowing to their demands, which further welcomes more hate...

She is a genius when it comes to tricking people, I'll give her that...

Well, she is a self serving piece of shit whos goal is to make the most money possible off of any topic she can bury. With that said she is not taking part in the game. I think she got the attention she wanted from the gaming industry and wants to leech off of other topics now a days.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling