By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I dont understand the hate Anita Sarkeesian is recieved over Mirrors Edge 2

What do you think of Anita

She sucks! 196 61.83%

Shes awesome! 18 5.68%

Don't care 60 18.93%

Sometimes I agree with he... 43 13.56%

Total:317
FragilE^ said:
danasider said:
She's awesome. I love gaming, but in its current state, sexism, homophobia and racism are rampant. I'm glad she has the guts to say the things she does. People who aren't affected by these things are the people who bash her (mostly out of ignorance and partially out of denial). What can I say? Haters gonna hate.

#NotYourShield

Did you ignore it on purpose, or are you just blind?

I did not know about this, but I checked it out. Even so, no need to be rude in your question. Would you really talk that aggressively to someone's face when trying to get information out of them? If so, I am sad for you.

Either way, that project doesn't speak for all gamers and neither does Anita Sarkessian. Some people do feel gender politics and things other than a fantasy character's design are subjects that need to be addressed. This method of pushing aside the interests of a significant (maybe not majority, but still not insignificant) portion of the industry's consumers and acting like anyone who speaks up for it is a "white knight" is just a defense mechanism used to shame people.

If you like Jim Sterling, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnTunPrQJo

Around the Network
danasider said:
FragilE^ said:
danasider said:
She's awesome. I love gaming, but in its current state, sexism, homophobia and racism are rampant. I'm glad she has the guts to say the things she does. People who aren't affected by these things are the people who bash her (mostly out of ignorance and partially out of denial). What can I say? Haters gonna hate.

#NotYourShield

Did you ignore it on purpose, or are you just blind?

I did not know about this, but I checked it out. Even so, no need to be rude in your question. Would you really talk that aggressively to someone's face when trying to get information out of them? If so, I am sad for you.

Either way, that project doesn't speak for all gamers and neither does Anita Sarkessian. Some people do feel gender politics and things other than a fantasy character's design are subjects that need to be addressed. This method of pushing aside the interests of a significant (maybe not majority, but still not insignificant) portion of the industry's consumers and acting like anyone who speaks up for it is a "white knight" is just a defense mechanism used to shame people.

If you like Jim Sterling, check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnTunPrQJo

The passive aggressiveness is strong with this one.

I never said anything about the "issue". Yes, there are things that should be discussed. They are being discussed though. Things are happening. Anita has nothing to do with that. If you're gonna throw out blanket statements about how "Most" of the consumers are, "anyone who speaks up", "sexism is rampant" then you lack ground. Your arguments hold no weight with stuff like that. Show me some numbers. And again, I never said anything about this being a non-issue or something along those lines, I'm just saying that Anita is full of shit.

What do you want to say with Jim's video? I can only interpret this as your "evidence" for how horrible gamers and the gaming industry is. Maybe you wanted to say something else. Feel free to correct me.
The only thing he really "proves" is that the market decides the products. Yeah, there are some games done in poor taste or whatever. Some are done well. Some rocks are big, some rocks are small.

The reason people are upset about this is because she puts forth the myth that a few trolls on the internet are indicative of a massive problem in the gaming industry. The internet in general is a hateful insulting place. Anita seeks to define the whole industry based on that, and the media is all too happy to jump on the bandwagon.

There are talented female developers in the industry, and a lot outside of it who have experience creating realistic and empowered female characters. So why is Anita being picked for this role? It's a PR stunt. Plain and simple.

JWeinCom said:
The reason people are upset about this is because she puts forth the myth that a few trolls on the internet are indicative of a massive problem in the gaming industry. The internet in general is a hateful insulting place. Anita seeks to define the whole industry based on that, and the media is all too happy to jump on the bandwagon.

There are talented female developers in the industry, and a lot outside of it who have experience creating realistic and empowered female characters. So why is Anita being picked for this role? It's a PR stunt. Plain and simple.

Anita is picked for this role because she says what somebody tells her.  those are not her ideas, she is just a puppet for the agenda of a male shithead with the name of Jonathan Mcintosh...