By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I dont understand the hate Anita Sarkeesian is recieved over Mirrors Edge 2

What do you think of Anita

She sucks! 196 61.83%

Shes awesome! 18 5.68%

Don't care 60 18.93%

Sometimes I agree with he... 43 13.56%

Total:317
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I am pretty pumped that she's helping with Mirrors Edge to make the female protagonist as badass as possible. I am also a feminist (but foremost egilitarian) and even though I don't always agree with her words, she does bring up good points. When she won the Embassador Award at the Game Developers Choice award, Neil Druckman (who who introduced her) spoke about her influence on the character of Ellie in the Last of Us. In my honest opinion, Ellie is the most empowered female character ever created and has so much to learn in her story growth about survival. If she had an influence on that character, I really wouldnt mind her influencing the female protagonist in Mirrors Edge. I understand that she bites when she talks about subjects, but someone has to do it. If not her, then who?

As someone who signed a petition to get rid of her, addressed to EA, I can tell you that the petition got a response directly from EA that Anita Sarkeesian is not, and never was, working on Mirror's Edge 2.

As for why the hate, it has nothing to do with her criticism, but with her hypocrisy. Having sex with people to get favors in gaming journalism is terrible, especially for a feminist. A real feminist would have exposed them for the scum they are, not joined in the corruption of gaming journalism. I'm a feminist, and support better representation of women in gaming, but I would never support someone like her who sets women back.

Around the Network
fireburn95 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I understand, but she still recieved an embassador award for her work. How does his award devalue her award? 

I'm just saying that awards don't necessarily equate to "her views are valid" or "his views are valid"

Yeah, but I'm saying that she brings up some points, not that I totally agree with her. I am a feminist myself but I don't completely see eye to eye with her. This doesn't stop me from seeing light in the clouded ash of her arguments at times.

The people her agenda affects are the 1)Gamers 2)Developers that aren't necessarily a face of a company

Neil Druckman is a pretty big name in the industry, let alone Naughty Dog. He introduced her at the awards thanking her for her influence on his work in the Last of Us. Its on Youtube. The man is awesome, imho.

A lot of industry figures almost have to agree with her views, because of the positive press it gets with feminists.
Hell, a lot of feminists have actually stated their conflicts with Anita's views.

Yeah, I'm a feminist as well my views conflict with her slightly. Shes a bit too aggressive for my taste coming from a male perspective though and i've never seen her in a two sided debate (although, I would like to see that.).Its not just about the feminists, its about people. You have to be societally aware of the world around you. The media doesn't seem to disagree with her either when she speaks. Of course the industry is being demonized right now and she isn't helping, but you cannot say people aren't giving her fuel for her to speak. Its almost like they are doing the work for her.

My best advice is to ignore rather than most people allowing hatred or extreme distate to cloud their judgement, because shes taking that straight to the bank. Outside of the gaming world the perception of positivity is on her side.

Lawlight said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Thats fine. If shes out of it I am cool with that as well. I am just stating that Neil Druckman gave the seal of approval to Sarkeesian as  to why Ellie turned out as badass as she did.

Neil Druckman is an idiot if he couldn't come up with a strong female character without her.

He's obviously not an idiot. I doubt the majority of what Anita said influenced him, but perhaps some aspects to make her character retains a strong feminine presence.

HylianSwordsman said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I am pretty pumped that she's helping with Mirrors Edge to make the female protagonist as badass as possible. I am also a feminist (but foremost egilitarian) and even though I don't always agree with her words, she does bring up good points. When she won the Embassador Award at the Game Developers Choice award, Neil Druckman (who who introduced her) spoke about her influence on the character of Ellie in the Last of Us. In my honest opinion, Ellie is the most empowered female character ever created and has so much to learn in her story growth about survival. If she had an influence on that character, I really wouldnt mind her influencing the female protagonist in Mirrors Edge. I understand that she bites when she talks about subjects, but someone has to do it. If not her, then who?

As someone who signed a petition to get rid of her, addressed to EA, I can tell you that the petition got a response directly from EA that Anita Sarkeesian is not, and never was, working on Mirror's Edge 2.

As for why the hate, it has nothing to do with her criticism, but with her hypocrisy. Having sex with people to get favors in gaming journalism is terrible, especially for a feminist. A real feminist would have exposed them for the scum they are, not joined in the corruption of gaming journalism. I'm a feminist, and support better representation of women in gaming, but I would never support someone like her who sets women back.

Dude... Anita had nothing to do with the sex scandal, it was Zoey Quinn. She is reason Gamergate started because her boyfriend ratted her out to the world after she cheated on him with a writer from Kotaku. The rumor that caused Gamergate was because of the rumor that she was giving sex for good reviews for her game. This was debunked (which pretty much knocked the legs out from under Gamergate) and caused a media shitstorm when people attacked Anita Sarkeesian for speaking out against Misogyny in gaming. Zoey Quinn did recieve a lot of misogynist statements from people and it caused a hail of crazed press until the mainstream media took notice. Kotaku investigated the situation and confirmed that he was never reviewing her game to begin with, she just felt like cheating, which was on her. The statements that were thrown her way were quite misogyist.

Zoey's boyfriend ended up starting a shitstorm to get back at his ex and because Anita spoke out against the sexism she became a threat to the status quo outside of criticizing games.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
fireburn95 said:

I'm just saying that awards don't necessarily equate to "her views are valid" or "his views are valid"

Yeah, but I'm saying that she brings up some points, not that I totally agree with her. I am a feminist myself but I don't completely see eye to eye with her. This doesn't stop me from seeing light in the clouded ash of her arguments at times.

The people her agenda affects are the 1)Gamers 2)Developers that aren't necessarily a face of a company

Neil Druckman is a pretty big name in the industry, let alone Naughty Dog. He introduced her at the awards thanking her for her influence on his work in the Last of Us. Its on Youtube. The man is awesome, imho.

A lot of industry figures almost have to agree with her views, because of the positive press it gets with feminists.
Hell, a lot of feminists have actually stated their conflicts with Anita's views.

Yeah, I'm a feminist as well my views conflict with her slightly. Shes a bit too aggressive for my taste coming from a male perspective though and i've never seen her in a two sided debate (although, I would like to see that.).Its not just about the feminists, its about people. You have to be societally aware of the world around you. The media doesn't seem to disagree with her either when she speaks. Of course the industry is being demonized right now and she isn't helping, but you cannot say people aren't giving her fuel for her to speak. Its almost like they are doing the work for her.

My best advice is to ignore rather than most people allowing hatred or extreme distate to cloud their judgement, because shes taking that straight to the bank. Outside of the gaming world the perception of positivity is on her side.

Her views include male dystopia. And she has a loud voice. It's hard to ignore, and better to try and convince the game developers at the end of the day to not buy into HER idea of feminism

return 0;

Around the Network

Because a lot of young male gamers are not mature enough to examine their own prejudices and take her points as an opportunity to grow.  For many young gamer males - a game world is the one place where they are not impotent. Its the one environment they can exercise control over.

Its far easier for them to issue anonymous threats that they don't have to be accountable for than actually make an attempt to understand the value in what she is saying.  Of course their reaction has totally validated every one of her criticisms but its far easier to attack the messanger as being somehow illegitmate than seriously examine the merits of her points.

For young male gamers who typically have no close female friends and no skills to bridge the gap  - she sounds like an alien.  The fundamental problem is one of self awareness.   

I've seen similar insanity where devs have introduced gay characters in their games.  A certain segment of gamers reject the notion of being prejudiced  - by behaving in an entirely prejudiced way.  They simply don't have an understanding of what prejudice means or how damaging it is to others.

niallyb

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Dude... Anita had nothing to do with the sex scandal, it was Zoey Quinn. She is reason Gamergate started because her boyfriend ratted her out to the world after she cheated on him with a writer from Kotaku. The rumor that caused Gamergate was because of the rumor that she was giving sex for good reviews for her game. This was debunked (which pretty much knocked the legs out from under Gamergate) and caused a media shitstorm when people attacked Anita Sarkeesian for speaking out against Misogyny in gaming. Zoey Quinn did recieve a lot of misogynist statements from people cant it caused a hail of crazed press until the mainstream media took notice. Kotaku investigated the situation and confirmed that he was never reviewing her game to begin with, she just felt like cheating, which was on her. The statements that were thrown her way were quite misogyist.

Zoey's boyfriend ended up starting a shitstorm to get back at his ex and because Anita spoke out against the sexism she became a threat to the status quo outside of criticizing games.

I think he's saying - Despite Zoey's actions which one would regard conflict with Anita's feminism superiority views - She didn't call her out in the same way that she calls out IO Interactive for giving you the OPTION to drag a half naked woman around in their hitman game.

TechnoHobbit said:
fireburn95 said:

And Anita is the one that blocks her youtube comments section hmm...

I can see why reading this thread. There is a point when criticism becomes hate, not to mention all of the criticism she gets for things she didn't even say/do. If people were reasonable and gave her well thought out counter arguments instead of all this ridiculousness I'm certain she would allow comments.

So I'm guessing you've never searched for any videos regarding her, or read any other forums, especially when her videos were new.

The entire strategy of gamergate has ALWAYS, AAAALLLLWWWWAAAAAYYYYYSSSSSSSSS, been facts. Facts and logic. Since femenist logic is based on feelings and .. uhm, clouds or whatever, the idea was always to defeat them with facts. That is what GG have been doing, countering her garbage with proper, well researched arguments. Provided evidence. Provided proper sources (as in, NO femenist research). What happened? Censorship. Every time people get silenced on the internet, people start digging. More censorship, even on reddit and 4chan. Censorship on FOURCHAN. That in itself is ridiculous. "Gamers are dead"-articles, Bring back bullying... Yes, people got angry. Really angry. But civil arguments are still being made, and they wont stop. A small minority however started stupid shit, with threats and pranks and so on. BAM! In less than 2 seconds, Anita and her friends became filthy rich (but pretty much all of the "famous" pro victims already have filthy rich parents. They're already millionairs o.o its weird). People are STILL countering her garbage with proper well backed arguments. It is getting quite annoying though when the whole world of media is whiteknighting so hard for her and her friends.

But she doesn't want the arguments! She can't handle the evidence! That is why she wont allow comments. Its as simple as that, has been since day one.
And if a GamerGater said something big, thousands of other gamergaters would fact-check the shit out of that and if he/she was proven wrong, they'd be stomped. Well, not so brutally, but still. People would make sure to mark that as false, and provide evidence for their claim. If a femenist goes out publically, says some random bullshit that is easily disproven, even gets laws enacted, no one in power bats an eyelid. If someone else speaks out, no matter what, its "harrassment" and she's a victim.

Gamers can't take criticism? What criticism? Please explain. If you're referring to Anita's lies, well... Don't. Since they're lies o.O If you have good criticism, or know someone else who does, bring it out. Normal, reasonable people can handle it. I as a gamer would love it if media treated gaming as more than a waste of time, and taking in criticism is a very good starting point. If it is valid, of course.

Come on, why do all Anita Sarkeesian threads end like this?

Ignore her if you don't like what she does. Raging gamers are the main reason for her popularity.

And many popular claims about her are false.

Well, at least it seems that, with a few exceptions, we're arguing in a civilized manner. There's no need for unnecessary hate here. Personally, whatever she does isn't going to affect me. She's not going to take away my games, she's not going to destroy the gaming community (unless the harassers don't fall into a huge pit within the next few months), and she's not going to care whatever we think anyway because we are all nobodies to her. It sounds selfish, but I think that's better thinking. Now if you don't mind, I'm going to go play some video games.