By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I dont understand the hate Anita Sarkeesian is recieved over Mirrors Edge 2

What do you think of Anita

She sucks! 196 61.83%

Shes awesome! 18 5.68%

Don't care 60 18.93%

Sometimes I agree with he... 43 13.56%

Total:317
ps4tw said:

So I'm guessing she's one of these crazy misandrous women who doesn't want gender equality, but gender superiority? 

Exactly - Or at least that's what she says she is. She has admitted she doesnt play games, one could assume she found a thriving industry and decided to make money off it.

160,000 dollars for 12 videos in 2 years. She got the money, made less than half the promised videos.

So yes, came in with an agenda, yanked a few dollars of real feminists, and selling her agenda straight to the people that make their games for a living.

Around the Network
fireburn95 said:

Exactly - Or at least that's what she says she is. She has admitted she doesnt play games, one could assume she found a thriving industry and decided to make money off it.

160,000 dollars for 12 videos in 2 years. She got the money, made less than half the promised videos.

So yes, came in with an agenda, yanked a few dollars of real feminists, and selling her agenda straight to the people that make their games for a living.

Which obviously begs the question which tit decided to get her involved in game development...

Game companies have to have some of the worst management I have ever seen in my life. It seems that the mangement have no clue about their audience, and then hire half-assed engineers to throw shoddy code together. This is why I like Star Citizen - a successful guy, with good vision and good management behind it, not falling for some retarded flavour-of-the-month. 

fireburn95 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Gladly EA confirmed that she is not part of Mirrors edge dev team.

Which means a lack of politics in games. And instead that age old thing called 'fun' in games

Interesting. Shes also credited by Neil Druckman of Naughty Dog as being influential in how they shaped out Ellie in the Last of Us. If he made a pivotal character based on things shes said, she can't be completely loopy.

kind of sad that a video game company would feel the need to invite an extreme feminist to help them 'craft' a female character. do they really think that tons of females are going to flock to the game just because Anita makes sure the heroine in Mirror's Edge doesn't wear any dresses or act traditionally cliche (in terms of a woman) at all? it just seems unnecessary and I don't think its necessarily good publicity for the game

ps4tw said:
fireburn95 said:

Which obviously begs the question which tit decided to get her involved in game development...

Game companies have to have some of the worst management I have ever seen in my life. It seems that the mangement have no clue about their audience, and then hire half-assed engineers to throw shoddy code together. This is why I like Star Citizen - a successful guy, with good vision and good management behind it, not falling for some retarded flavour-of-the-month. 

She is not working on mirrors edge, thats just a rumour.

You know, I wouldn't mind if her intentions were purely "treat women fairly"

But it's not, it's "remove any scene or gameplay elements that is degrading to women, add elements that is pro-woman"
Now - that's not equality. That's superiority. Something that real feminists who actually fought for equality would scoff at.

I see modern day feminism, not as equality, but as censorship.

You know that girl from big bang theory? Penny i think. She recently uploaded a picture of herself in the kitchen to instagram, and said "I love to cook for my man"
Feminists got angry with that-forced her to delete the image-and apologise

I mean WTF, some women like to cook, some women like to be sexualised, some men like to cook. They portray censorship, so it seems like feminism is a set of guidelines to the perfect, most ethical human being female. However, if everyone was the 'perfectly-behaved' dud that they expect, world would be a shit place.

Modern day feminism needs to die. It's not a movement, it's an agenda.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I am pretty pumped that she's helping with Mirrors Edge to make the female protagonist as badass as possible. I am also a feminist (but foremost egilitarian) and even though I don't always agree with her words, she does bring up good points. When she won the Embassador Award at the Game Developers Choice award, Neil Druckman (who who introduced her) spoke about her influence on the character of Ellie in the Last of Us. In my honest opinion, Ellie is the most empowered female character ever created and has so much to learn in her story growth about survival. If she had an influence on that character, I really wouldnt mind her influencing the female protagonist in Mirrors Edge. I understand that she bites when she talks about subjects, but someone has to do it. If not her, then who?

What is your favorite movie? What is your favorite game?

Now imagine someone you hate e.g Justin Bieber singing the theme song  and someone that hates movies and games assisting in making them.

There you have your answer.

She is a stupid person that wants to change something so SHE likes it. Even tho she does not even care to begin with and just wants to earn money with being controversial.   She is like a man that wants to force his girlfriend to get plastic surgery and get bigger boobs just because HE wants it and he doesnt give a fuck if its supposed to be that way or if  his "victim" even wants it or not etc.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
fireburn95 said:

Gladly EA confirmed that she is not part of Mirrors edge dev team.

Which means a lack of politics in games. And instead that age old thing called 'fun' in games

Interesting. Shes also credited by Neil Druckman of Naughty Dog as being influential in how they shaped out Ellie in the Last of Us. If he made a pivotal character based on things shes said, she can't be completely loopy.

Frankly I would credit Neil Druckman as the sole influence on Ellie. After all, Ellie is a 13 year old girl. You can hardly sexualise a 13 year old girl.

TLOU had a perfect story, and partially due to the characters that fitted so well into the story. If Neil needs a feminist to tell him that he should make a strong woman character, he probably shouldn't be in the creative director role.

Believe it or not - in the real world, everyone woman isn't a strong, independant woman. Some are... not.

fireburn95 said:
ps4tw said:

Honestly I've no idea who she is - someone explain why as a gamer I should care?

You don't have to care, but if politics get introduced into games, it's the end of game quality > everything else.

She believes women should do, be and say what her idea of a strong woman is. Little does that donkey ass brain of hers know that not every woman is born equal. Some women are weak, some are strong. Some prefer sexual attention, some believe sex should be special.

If devs get bullied into following her values, it will mean the end of variety of characters, and potentially gameplay elements.

In hitman: absolution, there is a scene where you CAN drag a strip girl around. You CAN, but DONT HAVE TO. 
However, you can also, throughout the whole game, drag men, chefs, assassins, agents, civilians, chinese men etc. around.

So either remove women from games and keep drag feature, or remove features from games and keep women is her argument.

Very well put. What most annoys me about her and her clique is how they bully good developers into following her agenda.

mountaindewslave said:

kind of sad that a video game company would feel the need to invite an extreme feminist to help them 'craft' a female character. do they really think that tons of females are going to flock to the game just because Anita makes sure the heroine in Mirror's Edge doesn't wear any dresses or act traditionally cliche (in terms of a woman) at all? it just seems unnecessary and I don't think its necessarily good publicity for the game

Well no one knew she was partially influential in the creation of Ellie in the last of us. Apparently Neil Druckman took her words to heart. I mean, given the developer is stable in the head, he could channel her statements properly when carefully crafting out what her character is about.

This is the first time I've actually sat down and read a thread about her and I can see what I long suspected is true--gamers in general really can't take much criticism lol.

I'd get into it, but my avatar... isn't really the best for discussing this topic.

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.