By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - High Definition Pokken Tournament Screenshots. Holy cow...

If this game don't come to Wii U, what ever will you do Spemanig!?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
ghost_of_fazz said:

It's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about, but it's understandable as it seems you're not the only one.

These graphics are pretty easy for the Wii U as explained above: Only two fighters that don't have a very high polygon count. They look detailed because of the texture work, the normal mapping and the specular reflections. Also, the visual effects (judging from this and from the gameplay shown on Famitsu the other day) look like rather simple 2D flashes and sparks, and not even at a high resolution at that. Add to that the simple environmnet, no actual grass, low-res terrain, etc.

It looks cool because the style and art, not because of its technical features.

...Then why don't other games look this good with similar hardware? If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but it's not like these guys haven't made fighting games before. If this game looks this good, why haven't any of their other fighting games on similar hardware even come close? It's not like Pokemon particularly lends itself to more realistic art design.

Well I would say the aesthetic appeal of this title is disproportionate to the actual intensity because of all the visual flairs it has.  It *looks* very, very good, but is actually not that technically demanding due to how they are accomplishing it.  It's like looking at the Fast Racing Neo screens, which use a multitude of techniques to achieve their high level of visual appeal. 

Einsam_Delphin said:

Stop...

spemanig said:
ghost_of_fazz said:

It's pretty clear you don't know what you're talking about, but it's understandable as it seems you're not the only one.

These graphics are pretty easy for the Wii U as explained above: Only two fighters that don't have a very high polygon count. They look detailed because of the texture work, the normal mapping and the specular reflections. Also, the visual effects (judging from this and from the gameplay shown on Famitsu the other day) look like rather simple 2D flashes and sparks, and not even at a high resolution at that. Add to that the simple environmnet, no actual grass, low-res terrain, etc.

It looks cool because the style and art, not because of its technical features.

...Then why don't other games look this good with similar hardware? If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it, but it's not like these guys haven't made fighting games before. If this game looks this good, why haven't any of their other fighting games on similar hardware even come close? It's not like Pokemon particularly lends itself to more realistic art design.

It's not that much about the game, it's more about you. You're blinded because you've never seen a Pokémon game look this good, but in reality it doesn't look THAT good. But as I said, it's understandable.

spemanig said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Stop...

Fines fines, truth be told, as much I tried to avoid it, you've gotten me pretty excited for the game! So if it turns out to be japan arcade only, I'll have to hunt you down!

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:

Well I would say the aesthetic appeal of this title is disproportionate to the actual intensity because of all the visual flairs it has.  It *looks* very, very good, but is actually not that technically demanding due to how they are accomplishing it.  It's like looking at the Fast Racing Neo screens, which use a multitude of techniques to achieve their high level of visual appeal. 

But that's what I'm saying. If it's just "visual flair," then why hasn't that flair been used on fighters before, and why is it being used on next gen fighters now? This game looks much closer to SFV, MKX, and KI than it does to any of their last generation equivilants.

vs.

spemanig said:

Let's just be honest with ourselves right now, and save later disappointment. One of two things are going to happen.

1. This game will be harshly downgraded graphically on the Wii U.
2. This is not coming to the Wii U, but to Nintendo's next home console way later than we hope.

Pikachu's fur has gradience guys. At 60fps. There's going to be disappointment somewhere. Let's all just get the disappointment over with now.

But God damn, do these look good. Open them in another tab to appreciate them in their full glory. Never thought I'd say that a Pokemon game was graphically impressive.

I'm pretty sure the Wii U can handle this. So the question is will it come to Wii U? And if it does will it come to the west?

spemanig said:

But that's what I'm saying. If it's just "visual flair," then why hasn't that flair been used on fighters before, and why is it being used on next gen fighters now? This game looks much closer to SFV, MKX, and KI than it does to any of their last generation equivilants.

I don't see anything here Wii U couldn't handle. 

It's already running the likes of this:

And has these on the way:

And people say stronger hardware doesn't add enough to games like Pokemon. Better hardware creates "wow" moments that you can't get on weaker hardware.

I think the graphics, while not overly impressive, aren't the main issue. I really dislike the HUD symbols, gauges and the position of the timer.

Easily possible on WiiU and even 7th gen consoles (not in 1080p though obviously).