By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - High Definition Pokken Tournament Screenshots. Holy cow...

spemanig said:
vivster said:

You do know that there is a difference between a detailed giant track with 8 individual racers and a lot going on simultaneously and a tiny low res arena with only 2 participants with predictable patterns. Of course it looks better, because it is simply a lot less demanding than MK8 and as such they can incorporate more high quality assets.

We know that Wii U is capable of delivering 720p at 60fps. This game shouldn't be different considering the drastically reduced scope.

Your subjective perception has no effect on how demanding a game is. Also you may want to look back at some HD screens of MK8.

I've seen traditional 2D fighters running, at 60fps, on the Wii U. There's nothing that even slightly comes close to this. Look at Tekken TT2, a game made by the same exact company. It doesn't even come close to looking this detailed. It's not subjective perception. It's literally right there. Even I know that it isn't as simple as "well if it's 720p 60fps one one thing, it's got to be possible on everything!" Wii U is capable of MK8 at 720p 60fps. Definitely not what's shown here. I will gladly eat crow stew if that turns out not the case.

You're seriously comparing a multiplatform game (PS3, XBOX 360, Wii U) from 2012 to an exclusive high profile franchise game that will probably only release in 2016 (if at all)?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Zekkyou said:

Assuming the final game runs at 720p/60fps, i see no reason why this couldn't run on the WiiU fairly easily. Smash running at 1080p/60fps during the 8-player battles is a much more impressive technical achievement than this (which is incredibly limited in scale, like most 1v1 fighters, and appears to be sacrificing environment detail for more effects).

For the same reason that 720p 60fps XBO/PS4 games can't run on the Wii U. There's more being put into the game to make it look that good. It's a more graphically demanding 720p 60fps than something like TTT2 or MK8. Unless you thing that those games running one better hardware, but maintaining the same resolution and framerate wouldn't still look lightyears better than they do now.

I'm with vivster on this one. It has very centralized environments (with rather low quality texture work), only 2 models to render, and effects that appear mostly texture based (rather than particle). Add in it being an exclusive title, which means it'll be properly tailored to the hardware, and i really don't see anything about Pokken that i find hard to believe is running on the WiiU. I really can't see what you're seeing, sorry ^^;

Zekkyou said:
spemanig said:
Zekkyou said:

Assuming the final game runs at 720p/60fps, i see no reason why this couldn't run on the WiiU fairly easily. Smash running at 1080p/60fps during the 8-player battles is a much more impressive technical achievement than this (which is incredibly limited in scale, like most 1v1 fighters, and appears to be sacrificing environment detail for more effects).

For the same reason that 720p 60fps XBO/PS4 games can't run on the Wii U. There's more being put into the game to make it look that good. It's a more graphically demanding 720p 60fps than something like TTT2 or MK8. Unless you thing that those games running one better hardware, but maintaining the same resolution and framerate wouldn't still look lightyears better than they do now.

I'm with vivster on this one. It has very centralized environments (with rather low quality texture work), only 2 models to render, and effects that appear mostly texture based (rather than particle). Add in it being an exclusive title, which means it'll be properly tailored to the hardware, and i really don't see anything about Pokken that i find hard to believe is running on the WiiU. I really can't see what you're seeing, sorry ^^;

Not the Phos Volcano stage. FFXV ain't doing it better (it's open world of course).

It would be a very good looking Wii U game, but it's not impossible imo.

Samus Aran said:
Zekkyou said:

Not the Phos Volcano stage. FFXV ain't doing it better.

It would be a very good looking Wii U game, but it's not impossible imo.

What on earth does the texture work of an open world game have to do with a discussion about a 1 v 1 fighter...? ^^; That's one of the most bizarre compassion I've seen in a while lol.

Anyway, I'm not saying Pokken looks bad (with exception to the environment texture work, but i could copy and paste that complaint against most fighters), i just don't see anything that would imply the WiiU couldn't run it. I suppose we agree in that respect at least.

Graphically this looks better than I expected.

Fingers crossed for a Wii U version.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

What on earth does the texture work of an open world game have to do with a discussion about a 1 v 1 fighter...? ^^; That's one of the most bizarre compassion I've seen in a while lol.

Anyway, I'm not saying Pokken looks bad (with exception to the environment texture work, but i could copy and paste that complaint against most fighters), i just don't see anything that would imply the WiiU couldn't run it. I suppose we agree in that respect at least.

The environment textures don't look bad. Maybe you don't like the artstyle, but there's plenty of detail in the Phos Volcano stage. I even saw a Heatran climbing the inner walls of the volcano lol. And Slugma popping out of the lava.
The Chrom stage I think looks bland, I hope that's the only bland one in it.

And the game is still in development. In September they said this game was only 30% completed.

I see no reason why this couldn't run on Wii U. The character models and image quality (for a 720p game) are impressive. That's about it though. The environments are bland with low resolution textures, and it is all contained. It is obvious that this game would be GPU bounded, and that is the typical thing for a Wii U game.

Samus Aran said:

The environment textures don't look bad. Maybe you don't like the artstyle, but there's plenty of detail in the Phos Volcano stage. I even saw a Heatran climbing the inner walls of the volcano lol. And Slugma popping out of the lava.

And the game is still in development. In September they said this game was only 30% completed.

I am talking in relatives. Like most fighters, Pokken's texture textures are of a lower quality (not art style) than you'd expect to see in such a limited environment. If i saw inFamous:SS's textures in Uncharted, i'd say they look bad for the same reason, despite the textures themselves being pretty high in quality.

I can't actually think of a single fighting game that's texture work matches what you'd expect from the limited scope... Even SF5 and KI's are somewhat on the dodgy side.

Maybe my standards are just high ^^

Zekkyou said:
Samus Aran said:

I am talking in relatives. Like most fighters, Pokken's texture textures are of a lower quality (not art style) than you'd expect to see in such a limited environment. If i saw inFamous:SS's textures in Uncharted, i'd say they look bad for the same reason, despite the textures themselves being pretty high in quality.

I can't actually think of a single fighting game that's texture work matches what you'd expect from the limited scope... Even SF5 and KI's are somewhat on the dodgy side.

Maybe my standards are just high ^^

Probably, because I think the Phos Volcano stage is fap material. :p

I understand where you're coming from, especially with the Chrom Town stage. Further improvements could definitely be made there. 

Judging the screens with Smash Wii U, I personally believe an exclusive fighting game could come very close. Like a lot of people have said, rendering 4 players at 1080p on levels that are a bigger with lighting and shadow effects that seem closer to the new Pokken pictures than the reveal picture. That said the texture work is better in Pokken, but I think if they limited the game to 1v1 and had the smaller arena sizes it could be accomplished.

I would at least love to see them try and see what came from it.