By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - What version of Windows do you have?

What version of Windows do you have?

XP 20 5.54%

Vista 8 2.22%

7 177 49.03%

8 6 1.66%

8.1 114 31.58%

Other 14 3.88%

See Results 22 6.09%

Total:361

Windows 7.

I've used Windows XP for a long time. I Never used Windows Vista.

Around the Network

7 on my gaming PC, will try 10 if DX12 delivers. On my other computers (including the main one, my laptop) it's Ubuntu.

torok said:
7 on my gaming PC, will try 10 if DX12 delivers. On my other computers (including the main one, my laptop) it's Ubuntu.

I don't get the point of Ubuntu, it's like Linux's windows.

OT : Windows 7 on my laptop, will get 8.1 on my new gf rig coming this week, see if it's good and think about upgrading.

Will update to 10 whenever it's out.

7, and doubt upgrade anytime soon.

RenCutypoison said:

OT : Windows 7 on my laptop, will get 8.1 on my new gf rig coming this week, see if it's good and think about upgrading.

Why would it be "Linux's windows"? It's basically Debian, but with a more up to date repository. I like Fedora too, but I prefer DEB packages and specially apt-get. It has a pretty good hardware support and it's well documented in the internet.

I already used daily (Kurumin, a Brazilian distro based on Debian), Sidux/Aptosid (based on Debian unstable, rolling release, pretty fast) and Mandriva (discontinued) and I think that Ubuntu has a good balance in all aspects.

Around the Network

the masterful Windows 7. love it. i really cant see my self updating any time soon.

torok said:
RenCutypoison said:

Why would it be "Linux's windows"? It's basically Debian, but with a more up to date repository. I like Fedora too, but I prefer DEB packages and specially apt-get. It has a pretty good hardware support and it's well documented in the internet.

I already used daily (Kurumin, a Brazilian distro based on Debian), Sidux/Aptosid (based on Debian unstable, rolling release, pretty fast) and Mandriva (discontinued) and I think that Ubuntu has a good balance in all aspects.

For me Ubuntu does a few things too fast. Upstart, systemd, Unity desktop... It's way more different than just a Debian with more current packages. Even worse is Mint. Currently I am more convinced by Arch linux which also has their own flavor but it's a rolling distro and do a lot of things right, in my opinion.

Version 6.1 Build 7601 with Service Pack 1 (aka Windows 7).

I have considered updating to Version 6.2 (aka Windows 8) or more likely Version 6.3 (aka Window 8.1), but without a touchscreen, it just doesn't seem worthwhile.

You can figure out which version of Windows you are running by running the "winver" application that is a part of Windows.

My last Windows computer was a custom build from when I was in high school. All I can remember for sure is it had Windows XP Pro SP2 and an AMD Athlon 3200+ I believe.. The rest I cant quite remember.

2.0Ghz single core woot woot!

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

walsufnir said:

For me Ubuntu does a few things too fast. Upstart, systemd, Unity desktop... It's way more different than just a Debian with more current packages. Even worse is Mint. Currently I am more convinced by Arch linux which also has their own flavor but it's a rolling distro and do a lot of things right, in my opinion.

The systemd situation was badly handled. It's the same thing with the Mir vs Wayland problem. Unity is another thing, I don't see a problem with it. Linux already has a lot of different interfaces, so another one isn't a problem. And being a Gnome based distro, Gnome 3 broke all their usabity for years before fixing it, so doing in their own way was probably a good decision. But upstart was just a case of being stuborn.

The main reason I like Ubuntu is because it receives the best support in softwares. Most apps will have a DEB package or are in its repositories. It's easier to get develper tools on it, which is a number one priority for me. In general, it's well balanced if you aren't willing to fuss with things. I'm wanting to try Arch for quite some time. I love rolling release distros since my time with Aptosid. I tried Fedora, but I found it quite unstable and more like a beta for Red Hat Enterprise. Mandriva was awesome, but it got discontinued. I used it on my desktop, that was the only machine without Ubuntu, but since them I ended up with it on all my PCs.