By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - American Football - What should be the penalty for the Patriots underinflated balls vs the Colts?

Full Story Here

The NFL has found that 11 of the New England Patriots' 12 game balls were inflated significantly below the NFL's requirements, league sources involved and familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC Championship Game told ESPN.

The investigation found the footballs were inflated 2 pounds per square inch below what's required by NFL regulations during the Pats' 45-7 victory over the Indianapolis Colts, according to sources.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

League sources have confirmed that the footballs were properly inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff, before they were returned to each team.

ESPN Sports Radio 810 in Kansas City reported that the Patriots' footballs were tested at the half, reinflated at that time when they were found to be low, then put back in play for the second half, and then tested again after the game. The report did not reveal the results of the test following the game. All of the balls the Colts used met standards, according to the report.

Meanwhile, a source told WEEI.com that the Patriots used 12 backup balls for the second half against the Colts after issues were found with most of the originals. Patriots spokesman Stacey James confirmed that the team had 24 balls total available, WEEI reported.

Under NFL rules, no alteration of the footballs is allowed once they are approved. If a person is found breaking league rules and tampering with the footballs, that person could face up to a $25,000 fine and potentially more discipline.

What do you think should happen to them if found guilty?

Around the Network

Nothing.

The NFL should stop being so fucking cheap and supply match balls themselves instead of rely on teams.

Dunno

But I am curious why after the balls are checked they give them back to the teams to do with as they will for 2 hours time. I mean what possible good can come of that to begin with? Just keep the damn things under lock and key from the time they're checked until kickoff.

And for that matter, why do the teams get their own separate balls anyway? Cus different QBs have slightly different preferences on this and that? Who gives a shit if they like half a pound more or less, new or old balls, etc. How about you all just get the same regulation balls and deal with it. I swear I've never heard of rules this stupid in my life. Should we give basketball teams their own balls too and then they can switch em out on the court depending on who's on offense?

The NFL is clearly retarded

Can't the NFL keep the balls until the start of every match?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Angelus said:
Dunno

But I am curious why after the balls are checked they give them back to the teams to do with as they will for 2 hours time. I mean what possible good can come of that to begin with? Just keep the damn things under lock and key from the time they're checked until kickoff.

And for that matter, why do the teams get their own separate balls anyway? Cus different QBs have slightly different preferences on this and that? Who gives a shit if they like half a pound more or less, new or old balls, etc. How about you all just get the same regulation balls and deal with it. I swear I've never heard of rules this stupid in my life. Should we give basketball teams their own balls too and then they can switch em out on the court depending on who's on offense?

I completely agree with this.

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Dunno

Brady and Manning lobbied the NFL for visiting teams to bring their own balls, which allows QB's on both teams to get the balls the way they want them to be.

Death.

The Patriots have contacts in the mod team, nothing will happen

OP - Just a quick correction - The League hasn't actually accused the Patriots of anything, so to say they 'cheated', is incorrect at this time. Should probably wait until the investigation has finished.

RolStoppable said:
Elimination from the playoffs. Let the Packers play in the Super Bowl instead. Everyone wants to see an exciting rematch.

Seeing the Seahawks win a second time will get boring.