By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - American Football - What should be the penalty for the Patriots underinflated balls vs the Colts?

RolStoppable said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
RolStoppable said:
Elimination from the playoffs. Let the Packers play in the Super Bowl instead. Everyone wants to see an exciting rematch.

Seeing the Seahawks win a second time will get boring.

Fine, then the Patriots' penalty will be that they will have to play against the Packers in the Super Bowl.

I'm fine with that

Around the Network

I don't know, whatever they normally do for inflated balls?

Burn their stadium to the ground, cut the right hand of the 5 players with the top salaries in the team and break the legs of the remaining players, then cut the head of the head coach and parade it around the city as an example? is this how this work in American Football when a team cheat?

They have to use fully deflated footballs on offense for the next 10 years.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

mornelithe said:
OP - Just a quick correction - The League hasn't actually accused the Patriots of anything, so to say they 'cheated', is incorrect at this time. Should probably wait until the investigation has finished.

True, I added "if found guilty" to the end of the question . 

The_Yoda said:
mornelithe said:
OP - Just a quick correction - The League hasn't actually accused the Patriots of anything, so to say they 'cheated', is incorrect at this time. Should probably wait until the investigation has finished.

True, I added "if found guilty" to the end of the question . 

Right-o, just a minor update.  Easy to miss, since most media sources are already reporting on it like it's been confirmed the Pats did something.  Hell, even Matt Lauer and Hines-Ward asserted guilt last night.  I suppose people should remember the NFL, and the media have as much or more integrity woes than the Patriots.

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:
They have to use deflated footballs on offense for the next 10 years.

It was my understanding that a few pounds less of pressure in the football is desirable.  It makes the football easier to grip and catch.

Non-story if anything punish the referee for not inspecting the ball correctly.

yvanjean said:

Seems legit.  I'm surprised the NFL hasn't produced a list of the pressures of all 48 balls (Each team had 12 game balls and 12 backups) from the Pre-game check, and the pressures when they checked at half-time.  They 'say' the Refs went through the right process, however, they've yet provide any solid numbers from the pre-game check (which is supposed to be done with a gauge in every ball).

yvanjean said:

The balls are inspected then given back to the team, at which point thy can tamper away if so desired.  As another poster pointed out the Refs should be the ones to hold onto the balls after inspection.

The_Yoda said:
BraveNewWorld said:
They have to use deflated footballs on offense for the next 10 years.

It was my understanding that a few pounds less of pressure in the football is desirable.  It makes the football easier to grip and catch.

I mean fully deflated.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata