By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - American Football - What should be the penalty for the Patriots underinflated balls vs the Colts?

The Patriots have a history of cheating. Once a cheater, always a cheater. Ban them.

Around the Network

So, BB just did a presser, talked about their preparations of the football, how they're selected (they're picked for grip and texture, seaming, and stitching) etc... they also did tests where they'd take a ball filled at 12.5psi and then use it out in practice for an hour, which showed a 1.5psi drop over that timeframe. Then were brought back inside, and the pressure raised back up to near original levels. Also said don't believe him, do the tests yourselves. The barometric pressure, temp etc.. are all publicly available bits of information, so should be easy to replicate.

Additionally, they said throughout the course of their investigation they found that none of their QB's could tell the difference between balls w/ a 1psi difference, and while they were able to identify 'some' that were 2lbs different, their ability to identify them was inconsistent.

Anyway, some good stuff in the interview, and Tom Curran being a jackass hah.

mornelithe said:

Just came in here to post that actually lol

Great press conference  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462743/article/bill-belichick-patriots-followed-every-rule-to-the-letter

JayWood2010 said:
mornelithe said:

Just came in here to post that actually lol

Great press conference  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462743/article/bill-belichick-patriots-followed-every-rule-to-the-letter

Yeah, that's Belicheck in a form...well, I don't think anyone has ever seen him in.  He literally slapped all the sensationalist hacks, the NFL and the refs, with one giant 5 across the eyes, and then dared them to prove him wrong.  And they'd probably want to think twice about their response, since it's likely that Matt Patricia was behind the testing (Aeronautical Engineer major).

Highly, highly entertaining, and a great My Cousin Vinny reference in there, total shocker hah.

The_Yoda said:
mornelithe said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gd0kGhIcF4

If you believe that video and their "conclussion" then why were the colts footballs all still within the acceptible PSI range? Those balls were in the exact same weather.  I'm not convinced they did cheat but I'm also not convinced they didn't.

By the way, another factor regarding the Colts Balls.  They brought them with them, so they would've gone through numerous pressure changes on the plane, whether the cargo hold was heated or not.  So, honestly, they're a tainted sample.  Not to mention that the Colts may have a completely different 'breaking in' process.

However, all that aside, in situations such as this, the Patriots wouldn't have to explain anything about the Colts equipment.  They merely need to provide a plausible explanation for the pressure differences in their own.

Around the Network
mornelithe said:
JayWood2010 said:

I really believe this is the biggest non story ive heard in the NFL.  I just hope they can get back to football and everybody can calm down about this.

JayWood2010 said:
mornelithe said:

I really believe this is the biggest non story ive heard in the NFL.  I just hope they can get back to football and everybody can calm down about this.

Oh it's absolutely a non-story until the NFL provides...ANYTHING for evidence (And even then, as far as potential league infractions this year, this ranks down near the bottom, easily).  It's disgraceful what they've done at this point.  They took days to speak w/ Brady, interviewed 40 people, hired an outside investigator, forensics experts/video experts etc... dafuq?  And in that time, Bellicheck and Patricia ran repeatable scientific observations regarding air pressure, temperature and weather, and already came up with a reasonable doubt scenario.  Is anyone actually running the NFL?  lol.  After all the botched investigations this year, and last...why is no one questioning the NFL's integrity here?  They literally had a sting setup, that they've thus far, spectacularly failed.

mornelithe said:

The worst of it all is that this is during time where patriots should be focused on the superbowl but instead Bill has had to take time to deal with all this.  

"I'm embarrassed at how much time I've spent on this in the last week" was a  quote from that press conference that sums up my thoughts on it.

JayWood2010 said:
mornelithe said:

The worst of it all is that this is during time where patriots should be focused on the superbowl but instead Bill has had to take time to deal with all this.  

"I'm embarrassed at how much time I've spent on this in the last week" was a  quote from that press conference that sums up my thoughts on it.

Not as embarrassed as he just made the League and it's hired attack dogs look, by beating them to an announcement of any kind of substance.

Nothing should happen. they played with legit balls the whole second half and thats when the beat down really took place