By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - American Football - What should be the penalty for the Patriots underinflated balls vs the Colts?

BraveNewWorld said:
The_Yoda said:
BraveNewWorld said:
They have to use deflated footballs on offense for the next 10 years.

It was my understanding that a few pounds less of pressure in the football is desirable.  It makes the football easier to grip and catch.

I mean fully deflated.

Ah the "Fuck You Field Goal" football, now I'm with you.

Around the Network

As a Ravens fan I have to believe they cheated doing the same thing against my team too.They could not score and all of a sudden they were able to tie the game,really? I think the Ravens and Colts should have to play each other for the REAL AFC championship game and the winner goes to the super bowl instead.

The_Yoda said:
yvanjean said:
Non-story if anything punish the referee for not inspecting the ball correctly.

The balls are inspected then given back to the team, at which point thy can tamper away if so desired.  As another poster pointed out the Refs should be the ones to hold onto the balls after inspection.

Had the refs done their due diligence, it really wouldn't be taking the NFL this long to come out with the information (I can imagine the last thing the NFL wants is this debacle overshadowing the Pro Bowl and SB).  What seems like has happened is basically the refs were supposed to use pressure gauges, and maybe didn't.  And we know they shirk this duty on occasion because Rodgers admitted over-inflating balls, and being upset 'when they deflate them', which means they don't always catch it.  Sounds like this is a widespread issue and varies from QB to QB.  I'm assuming there'll be a league-wide memo w/ a new process for ball evaluation prior to a game.

I will say this, however, as a Patriots fan, if the NFL comes out with pre-game levels, and half-time levels, showing that w/in the 2 hour period the balls were altered in a way that cannot be explained via mother-nature or some other occurance, I certainly support the 25K fine.  Not because I believe the Patriots got an unfair advantage, but because it's a rule that they broke.  I think the league should also send out a league-wide memo, iterating this entire policy.  So that there's no confusion over this.

If they're not going to document the levels of each individual ball pre and post-game, or have a camera on them at all times, I don't honestly see how this changes anything.  You know full well that at LEAST 2 QB's (Not including Brady) who've won the SB in the past 10 years, like either over-inflated (Rodgers), or under-inflated balls (Eli).

I really dont think this is much of a story. Patriots outplayed Colts in every way, unless we are saying that the balls were so deflated that Blount just floated to the first down on every run.

Does it make a difference how inflated the ball is..?

Consoles owned: Wii U wii gamecube DS DS lite DSi 3DS Xbox 360 Gameboy Gameboy color Gameboy advance Gameboy Advance sp Gameboy micro and PC. 

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
I really dont think this is much of a story. Patriots outplayed Colts in every way, unless we are saying that the balls were so deflated that Blount just floated to the first down on every run.

You have to consider that the deflation makes the ball easier to carry as a running back,which hall of famer running back like Jerome Bettis pointed out.Blount is an average running back and he looked like Jim Brown sunday and the reason is because he knew he did not have to protect the ball during contact.Blount has never had that type of game in his life.

SkyHold said:
JayWood2010 said:

You have to consider that the deflation makes the ball easier to carry as a running back,which hall of famer running back like Jerome Bettis pointed out.Blount is an average running back and he looked like Jim Brown sunday and the reason is because he knew he did not have to protect the ball during contact.Blount has never had that type of game in his life.

You're kidding, right?

vs. Colts 2014 - 30 att/148 yards/3 TD's

vs Buf 2013 - 24 att for 189 yards and 2 TD's.

vs Colts 2013 - 24 att for 166 yards and 4 TD's

The Colts had the 18th ranked rushing defense in 2014, giving up an AVERAGE of 113.4 yards/game.  They're known to have a soft front, which is why big physical backs can run straight through them, and why their rushing D isn't that great.

SkyHold said:

They did that to the colts the last two times as well.  Its because colts have a small front is why.  

And is there any excuse to why the colts only had 7 points? Or was they throwing cinderblocks out there?

I get that somebody may or may not have done something shady somewhere, but it really doesnt look like it had any effect on the game.  Even football analysis laughed at this when it was first brought up and said how little this mattered.  

basically whats going to happen is somebody will probably be fined.  Theyll try and figure out who did it.  And fans across the world will criticize patriots as cheats even though it had little to no effect on the game

Pats are cheaters that's all that matters.Blount is an average running back.Do you think he is on Peterson's level or Marshawn? No.His yards don't matter when he does not have to fear dropping the ball.That is what I was saying.I hope Seattle crushes that cheating team.How come Blount could not run against the Ravens?

SkyHold said:
How come Blount could not run against the Ravens?

Ravens rush defense > Colts

Ravens has the 4th best rush defense in the league