By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony in talks with MS about Blu-Ray for 360...

gebx said:
Username2324 said:
gebx said:
Hmm.. anyone else think this article is full of crap?

What are the advantages of having a Blu Ray add on for the 360??

Blu Ray isn't the dominant format, and won't be for a couple years (if ever), so why push Sony technology... on top of that, MS will have to pay Sony to do it?

And whats with the Blu Ray Elite comment?? Will developers have to create two different games/cd's for the 360? One for the Blu Ray drive and one for the regular drive?

PS3 kind of sort of loses an advantage over the 360.
Clearly you haven't read around, Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years.
As with the HD DVD add-on, the Blu-ray add on would just be for movies, not for games. And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs so if they released a console with it built in (unlikely) it wouldn't cause any problems.

You're an idiot.... ok, lets take your comment one step at a time

"Clearly you haven't read around, "

Yeah, I'm really new to these forums... please point me towards the sales forum... thanks!

"Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years."

Could you please share your crystal ball with the rest of the community?? That would be great! People always sound like ass's when they think they know exactly how things will prevail with no DATA/FACTS to back them up. We don't know if any of that will happen!

"And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs"

Xbox 360 drive and the PS3 Blu Ray drive spin at different speeds, 360 games are optimized for the DVD drive (that whole spiel about faster data needs to be on the inside of the disc and slower data on the outside)... the tech stuff is way beyond my head, but from my basic understanding is that the Blu Ray drive can't access the inside part fast enough (Oblivion being the example)... therefore any 360 game might have problems ranging from slow framerate to slow loading times to crashing on a Blu Ray drive.

Let me rephrase the first part. Clearly you haven't read around ELSEWHERE, this is a Video Game Sales site, not a Blu-ray, DVD format site. Well in 2 years when BD Players are $100 or less, and almost everyone has one, then you will know it has become the standard. You cannot provide facts for the future, but if you understood the market, you'd see Blu-ray will become the HD standard.

Let me ask you this, how come my PS3 can play DVD's? How come it can read anything off of any DVD? Because it plays DVDs! The spin speed doesnt matter, and like I said, if the 360 does indeed get a Blu-ray player, it will be an add-on, and also like I said, it'd be just like the HD DVD add-on where as it will not be used for games, but for movies.

There will never be a game released on the 360 on a Blu-ray Disc, there's no point in releasing a version on DVD and one on Blu-ray, you'd have to design two different games for one console, which is a waste of money. 

So tell me, why am I an idiot?

Around the Network
gebx said:
ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
kuraobi said:
I really don't understand why MS would want to add a BR player to the 360... What's the point ?

To drop the advantage the PS3 has over the Xbox 360 in terms of a blu-ray player.

Reread the article...

Everyone is assuming MS contacted Sony.. but its probably the opposite

Blu Ray drive added on or in the 360 is a win for Sony... not for MS.

Why would MS PAY royalty fees to Sony to promote its technology?

BluRay isn't the dominant format yet (if ever) so why help it along if your a competitor?

None of this makes sense, unless its Sony who's pushing MS to adopt the Blu Ray drive!

to support what their customers want. Unless of course M$ saying they care about their customers is bs.

You clearly have no clue about the 360 customer...

They're gamers, they want a gaming machine. If they wanted an HD movie player, they would of purchased the PS3.

The only reason why the HD-DVD sold was because it was a cheap option to get HD movies.

You clearly are a 360 fanboy, if all 360 customers were just gamers why would Microsoft have sold a HD DVD add-on (Why would anyone want the option to play HD movies if they were just gamers), why do they offer videos on XBL?

I'm actually quite surprised you'd put that stereotype on your own kind.

Username2324 said:
gebx said:
Username2324 said:
gebx said:
Hmm.. anyone else think this article is full of crap?

What are the advantages of having a Blu Ray add on for the 360??

Blu Ray isn't the dominant format, and won't be for a couple years (if ever), so why push Sony technology... on top of that, MS will have to pay Sony to do it?

And whats with the Blu Ray Elite comment?? Will developers have to create two different games/cd's for the 360? One for the Blu Ray drive and one for the regular drive?

PS3 kind of sort of loses an advantage over the 360.
Clearly you haven't read around, Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years.
As with the HD DVD add-on, the Blu-ray add on would just be for movies, not for games. And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs so if they released a console with it built in (unlikely) it wouldn't cause any problems.

You're an idiot.... ok, lets take your comment one step at a time

"Clearly you haven't read around, "

Yeah, I'm really new to these forums... please point me towards the sales forum... thanks!

"Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years."

Could you please share your crystal ball with the rest of the community?? That would be great! People always sound like ass's when they think they know exactly how things will prevail with no DATA/FACTS to back them up. We don't know if any of that will happen!

"And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs"

Xbox 360 drive and the PS3 Blu Ray drive spin at different speeds, 360 games are optimized for the DVD drive (that whole spiel about faster data needs to be on the inside of the disc and slower data on the outside)... the tech stuff is way beyond my head, but from my basic understanding is that the Blu Ray drive can't access the inside part fast enough (Oblivion being the example)... therefore any 360 game might have problems ranging from slow framerate to slow loading times to crashing on a Blu Ray drive.

Let me rephrase the first part. Clearly you haven't read around ELSEWHERE, this is a Video Game Sales site, not a Blu-ray, DVD format site. Well in 2 years when BD Players are $100 or less, and almost everyone has one, then you will know it has become the standard. You cannot provide facts for the future, but if you understood the market, you'd see Blu-ray will become the HD standard.

Let me ask you this, how come my PS3 can play DVD's? How come it can read anything off of any DVD? Because it plays DVDs! The spin speed doesnt matter, and like I said, if the 360 does indeed get a Blu-ray player, it will be an add-on, and also like I said, it'd be just like the HD DVD add-on where as it will not be used for games, but for movies.

There will never be a game released on the 360 on a Blu-ray Disc, there's no point in releasing a version on DVD and one on Blu-ray, you'd have to design two different games for one console, which is a waste of money. 

That highlighted line is the biggest bull crap I've seen on these forums in a long time.

No one knows how any market will turn out, all we can make is educated guess' and I've never seen you say anything educated.

What do you mean this isn't a HD DVD vs Blu Ray forum?? Have you been around these forums lately? Everyday at least two new threads on Blu Ray are created.

And you don't know what you're talking about concerning the spin speeds.

Oh and I agree with you that they'll never be a Blu ray game released for the 360!!  <-- NOT sarcasm.. really, I agree with you

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Username2324 said:

You clearly are a 360 fanboy, if all 360 customers were just gamers why would Microsoft have sold a HD DVD add-on (Why would anyone want the option to play HD movies if they were just gamers), why do they offer videos on XBL?

Actually, you bring up a good point.  MS sold approximately 300,000 add-on HD-DVD players to their 17,000,000 customer base.  That means about 1.7% of all 360 customers bought an HD-DVD add-on.  Or put another way, 98.3% of all 360 customers decided NOT to buy an HD-DVD drive.

What were you saying about not stereotyping 360 owners?  

@Username2324 :
You can't say that BluRay will replace DVD when the numbers show the BR at less than 2% market share. Lots of formats never became standard. Minidisc never became a standard. Neither did Laserdisc, VCD, WMA, AAC, MP3pro, SACD, DVD-Audio...
All of these had interesting features, some had nice retrocompatibility etc... but none of them never became standard.
When I see how hard it is to explain to someone what a BluRay is, and when I see how good DVD-upscalers can make really nice pictures, I'm really not sure at all that the BR will ultimately replace the DVD.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
ugh.

Not enough gifs.

Fixed!

On topic I think Sony is the one approaching MS about this deal. I don't think MS should do it either. To me it would be a dumb move!

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Username2324 said:
gebx said:
ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
kuraobi said:
I really don't understand why MS would want to add a BR player to the 360... What's the point ?

To drop the advantage the PS3 has over the Xbox 360 in terms of a blu-ray player.

Reread the article...

Everyone is assuming MS contacted Sony.. but its probably the opposite

Blu Ray drive added on or in the 360 is a win for Sony... not for MS.

Why would MS PAY royalty fees to Sony to promote its technology?

BluRay isn't the dominant format yet (if ever) so why help it along if your a competitor?

None of this makes sense, unless its Sony who's pushing MS to adopt the Blu Ray drive!

to support what their customers want. Unless of course M$ saying they care about their customers is bs.

You clearly have no clue about the 360 customer...

They're gamers, they want a gaming machine. If they wanted an HD movie player, they would of purchased the PS3.

The only reason why the HD-DVD sold was because it was a cheap option to get HD movies.

The only reason why the HD-DVD sold was because it was a cheap option to get HD movies.   <--- DEJA FREAKIN VU?? oh yeah, its my last comment on what you just quoted..

A wooping 1.8% of 360 owners owned a HD DVD Add-on!!

The day you teach me anything about 360 users will be the day that pigs fly (I couldn't think of anything creative...

edit - Ah crap, I didn't read down to crumas' post... Just like what he said!!!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/01/137211

Current manufacturing lines are stretched to the max - Bob Hurley, with Sony DADC, says that Sony is churning out 200,000 UMDs a day and future capacity is expected to be 500,000 per day. 'Tiger Woods Golf is my personal favorite [game], but video has been surprisingly good to us,' says Hurley. In a few years Sony expect videos to be more than 60 percent of all UMD sales, with an expected 130 million UMDs being sold in 2008

Now, I'm not trying to do a direct comparison between UMD and Blu-Ray but I thought that this was a good way to demonstrate a very obvious point ...

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD stand alone player sales have been pretty unimpressive since both formats were released, and HD-Movie player and movie sales did not approach a level that hinted that it would one day become a sustainable movie format until the PS3 was released with a Blu-Ray player inside of it. I don't want to get into an argument on what percentage of people bought a PS3 as a games only device, or what percentage bought it as a Blu-Ray player, because I believe that PS3 owners bought a PS3 to use it as both; of PS3 owners I know, most bought it because the PS3 was supposed to become a popular gaming maching, Blu-Ray was supposed to become the popular movie format, and they really could use a High Definition media center extender.

One thing that has yet to be demonstrated is that Blu-Ray has much appeal outside of the techie early adopter crowd, in particular the techie early adopter crowd who has an interest in High-Definition television and in videogames. This is important because it determines how popular Blu-Ray will be as players hit $100 knowing they will be in direct competition with $25 upconverting DVD players that have a massive movie library and you can pick up DVDs for $5 to $10; on top of this it begs the question of how much real value to the customer a Blu-Ray player would add to the XBox 360 being that it could not take advantage of the hardware in game, and they already have a High Definition movie format through downloads on XBox Live.

That highlighted line is the biggest bull crap I've seen on these forums in a long time.

No one knows how any market will turn out, all we can make is educated guess' and I've never seen you say anything educated.

What do you mean this isn't a HD DVD vs Blu Ray forum?? Have you been around these forums lately? Everyday at least two new threads on Blu Ray are created.

And you don't know what you're talking about concerning the spin speeds.

Oh and I agree with you that they'll never be a Blu ray game released for the 360!! <-- NOT sarcasm.. really, I agree with you

I'm sorry, I tried to be nice, I tried to explain. But you obviously aren't very intelligent. Did I ever say this was a HD DVD vs. Blu-ray forum, no, but it's not its a Video Game Sales Chart, while threads are posted on the subject, it's not what the site was created for.

And your right, no one knows how the market will turn out, but your ignorance makes me laugh. Like I said, the only thing to stop BD from becoming the standard are HD movie downloads, but America and many other nations simply do not have a internet network fast enough to support such large movie files in vast quantities, Youtube causes enough problems. Aside from that, people will not want to wait for their movies to download, and most people do not have storage capacities to support a large library. So please, stop trying to insult me, you're only showing everyone else how foolish you really are.

And I don't know what I'm talking about concering spin speeds? Ok buddy, get this through your head, drives do not spin at a constant speed, and the only way BD drives can play DVD's is because they can spin at that speed, if your dumb enough to believe the 360 has some super special DVD drive then you really need to rethink the way you view things.

And you should agree with me, it would be very stupid on the developers part to release a version of a game for the 360 on Blu-ray and DVD, one being the add-on blu-ray won't support games, and second being a very small portion of 360ers will have BD drives. 

Goddbless said:
DMeisterJ said:
ugh.

Not enough gifs.

Fixed!

On topic I think Sony is the one approaching MS about this deal. I don't think MS should do it either. To me it would be a dumb move!

I think this is a great move for MS.  HD DVD is dead, so Microsoft no longer has to fight Blu Ray.  However, the 360 has had alot of trouble fighting on the gaming front.  I had always figured I'd get a PS3 later bc of part of the value that blu ray has.  But if a 360 has it, it might be more in the running.  I know Microsoft is pushing downloadable movies and they still can.  But they will be completely ignoring a fast growing market of Blu Ray purchasers even if Blu Ray never gets as big as DVD.  So they win on two fronts.  More money from accessory sales, and a way to combat the PS3.