By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony in talks with MS about Blu-Ray for 360...

From Financial Times:

Sony is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, according to a senior executive.

The Japanese electronics maker has until now touted Blu-ray as an advantage its PlayStation 3 holds over Microsoft’s console. Microsoft has backed Toshiba’s HD-DVD format and offered an HD-DVD drive that can be plugged into the 360.

But after Sony’s victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Stan Glasgow, Sony Electronics US president, said the two sides were now talking about Microsoft adopting Blu-ray.

A Blu-ray drive in a 360 would make Microsoft more competitive with the PS3, but it would also mean extra revenues for Sony’s electronics division. It would also add further cost to the 360, meaning a premium edition of the console could be necessary.

A Blu-ray drive could be incorporated in its top-of-the-range Elite Xbox, or Microsoft could again offer a drive as a plug-in peripheral.

Mr Glasgow, speaking at a media dinner, added that discussions were also taking place with Apple, which has not offered Blu-ray drives on any of its computers so far and has focused on digital media via downloads and streaming through devices such as its Apple TV.

The Sony president said he did not believe Blu-ray would be overtaken by high-definition content becoming available over the internet. Bandwidth limitations meant it was still available to only a few, he said, and consumers favoured disks they could own.

“Downloading will build over time, but this will be over a period of years,” he said.

On Blu-ray pricing, Mr Glasgow expects prices of players to drop to as low as $299 by the end of the year. They currently cost $399 and higher. He feels the price of a player could fall to about $200 by the end of 2009.

The prices of Blu-ray players are not expected to fall as precipitously as they did with regular DVD players. The Blu-ray Association, the group controlling the standard, has yet to license it to Chinese manufacturers, who would be expected to drive down prices.

Around the Network

Didn't see this one coming [/end sarcasm].

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I most certainly don't think M$ is going to get it cheap. Can M$ get the parts themselves directly from the manufacturer, cause if they have to come through sony, they can put some heavy prices on them

Munkeh111 said:
I most certainly don't think M$ is going to get it cheap. Can M$ get the parts themselves directly from the manufacturer, cause if they have to come through sony, they can put some heavy prices on them

I don't think microsoft will pay much for it at all if anything. But it wont profit anything as well... It will be more like..."Hi Sony, do you want to sell your drive for our system? you keep all the profit from drives and disks sold"

Around the Network

they have to treed carefully--if they put to much pressure on Microsoft they run the risk of legal action

mesoteto said:
I'll see you and raise you one...

I don't think M$ will accept this, if they want Downloadables to be the future, beside they were ONLY SUPPORTINg Hd-DVD to delay the end of the format war..

now its over pre-maturely..I can hardly see them adopting blu-ray

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

disolitude said:
Munkeh111 said:

I don't think microsoft will pay much for it at all if anything. But it wont profit anything as well... It will be more like..."Hi Sony, do you want to sell your drive for our system? you keep all the profit from drives and disks sold"

Yes, but blu-ray is one of the biggest advantages of the PS3. What I am saying is that if Sony can charge M$ extra for the drive, it will force the BD edition price upto far above the PS3

darthdevidem01 said:
I don't think M$ will accept this, if they want Downloadables to be the future, beside they were ONLY SUPPORTINg Hd-DVD to delay the end of the format war..

now its over pre-maturely..I can hardly see them adopting blu-ray

They're in talks for a reason...