By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony in talks with MS about Blu-Ray for 360...

gebx said:
Hmm.. anyone else think this article is full of crap?

What are the advantages of having a Blu Ray add on for the 360??

Blu Ray isn't the dominant format, and won't be for a couple years (if ever), so why push Sony technology... on top of that, MS will have to pay Sony to do it?

And whats with the Blu Ray Elite comment?? Will developers have to create two different games/cd's for the 360? One for the Blu Ray drive and one for the regular drive?

PS3 kind of sort of loses an advantage over the 360.
Clearly you haven't read around, Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years.
As with the HD DVD add-on, the Blu-ray add on would just be for movies, not for games. And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs so if they released a console with it built in (unlikely) it wouldn't cause any problems.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
I most certainly don't think M$ is going to get it cheap. Can M$ get the parts themselves directly from the manufacturer, cause if they have to come through sony, they can put some heavy prices on them

Sony can do that if they don't mind running afoul of the US Trade Commission.  Companies can't arbitrarily charge more to one customer than another unless it's based on unit volume, etc.  At least not when doing business in the US.

leo-j said:
kuraobi said:
I really don't understand why MS would want to add a BR player to the 360... What's the point ?

To drop the advantage the PS3 has over the Xbox 360 in terms of a blu-ray player.

Reread the article...

Everyone is assuming MS contacted Sony.. but its probably the opposite

Blu Ray drive added on or in the 360 is a win for Sony... not for MS.

Why would MS PAY royalty fees to Sony to promote its technology?

BluRay isn't the dominant format yet (if ever) so why help it along if your a competitor?

None of this makes sense, unless its Sony who's pushing MS to adopt the Blu Ray drive!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

gebx said:
leo-j said:
kuraobi said:
I really don't understand why MS would want to add a BR player to the 360... What's the point ?

To drop the advantage the PS3 has over the Xbox 360 in terms of a blu-ray player.

Reread the article...

BluRay isn't the dominant format yet (if ever) so why help it along if your a competitor?

None of this makes sense, unless its Sony who's pushing MS to adopt the Blu Ray drive!

to support what their customers want. Unless of course M$ saying they care about their customers is bs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

to support what their customers want. Unless of course M$ saying they care about their customers is bs.

I would love to have a Blu-ray add-on drive on my 360 now that HD-DVD is dead, but about 90% of the people I know who own a 360 couldn't care less about Blu-ray... they're hardcore gamers and rarely watch movies anyway. I would definitely NOT want Blu-ray built in. Other than the expanded storage, I think that's a disadvantage... I don't want to use my built-in gaming machine drive for movies... that's too expensive to replace. Give me a cheap external drive instead.

Around the Network

ugh.

Too many gifs.

Username2324 said:
gebx said:
Hmm.. anyone else think this article is full of crap?

What are the advantages of having a Blu Ray add on for the 360??

Blu Ray isn't the dominant format, and won't be for a couple years (if ever), so why push Sony technology... on top of that, MS will have to pay Sony to do it?

And whats with the Blu Ray Elite comment?? Will developers have to create two different games/cd's for the 360? One for the Blu Ray drive and one for the regular drive?

PS3 kind of sort of loses an advantage over the 360.
Clearly you haven't read around, Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years.
As with the HD DVD add-on, the Blu-ray add on would just be for movies, not for games. And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs so if they released a console with it built in (unlikely) it wouldn't cause any problems.

You're an idiot.... ok, lets take your comment one step at a time

"Clearly you haven't read around, "

Yeah, I'm really new to these forums... please point me towards the sales forum... thanks!

"Blu-ray will be replacing DVD, there's no avoiding. HD downloads are not and will not be practical for many many years." 

Could you please share your crystal ball with the rest of the community?? That would be great! People always sound like ass's when they think they know exactly how things will prevail with no DATA/FACTS to back them up. We don't know if any of that will happen!

"And if you didn't know, Blu-ray drives can play both BDs and DVDs"

Xbox 360 drive and the PS3 Blu Ray drive spin at different speeds, 360 games are optimized for the DVD drive (that whole spiel about faster data needs to be on the inside of the disc and slower data on the outside)... the tech stuff is way beyond my head, but from my basic understanding is that the Blu Ray drive can't access the inside part fast enough (Oblivion being the example)... therefore any 360 game might have problems ranging from slow framerate to slow loading times to crashing on a Blu Ray drive.

ssj12 said:
gebx said:
leo-j said:
kuraobi said:

Reread the article...

You clearly have no clue about the 360 customer...

They're gamers, they want a gaming machine. If they wanted an HD movie player, they would of purchased the PS3.

The only reason why the HD-DVD sold was because it was a cheap option to get HD movies.

I can't see downloadable content which microsoft are pushing being the future....yet, which in my opinion is one of the only viable alternatives to Blu-Ray at this moment in time.

There's just simply far too many people in Europe/USA etc who don't have access/don't want Broadband.

I don't have a set of figures to hand, so would appreciate an up to date set of information for both continents, global preferable. But the last data available to me for the UK is from 2007 where 40% of the british population do not have broadband.

That's 24 Million People, or 24 Million Consumers who will not be using the download service. Where as with BD it's open to everyone.

Although what we may be seeing the use of cartridges instead of CD's
*you heard it here first!

oops *double