By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One is going to be advertised and promoted to hundreds of millions of people this year, every time they turn their PC on

Smashed said:
Seece said:
Smashed said:
I would never upgrade to Windows 10, it is a rather crappy OS.
I'll stick with windows 7, it's simple, easy, and way less gimmicky. Microsoft thought they did everybody a favor by making things more "accessible"
Really all they did was complicate it, in my opinion. What happened to simplicity?

It's 7 months+ from launch and you're already dubbing it crappy? Those that have used it and all press so far suggests nothing but good things ala 7. Very different to pre (and post) 8 feelings.

After Windows 8 everything went down hill in my eyes.

You should try the free alpha build of Win10.  It runs better than Win7 already...

It is near the end of the end....

Around the Network

I don't know if it will have a significant impact, but nothing negative about it either.

I don't think the lack of advertisement is the X1's problem

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Seece said:
Fusioncode said:
Windows has had an Xbox app for a while now haven't they?

Yeah but it's on Windows 8 which has crap marketshare, and it's tucked away in the metro part AND you need to download it.

All 3 of these problems will be resolved. It'll be available to far more people, right there on the start menu/list.

i guess it's a matter of perspective but as a consumer that sounds like a problem not a resolution...

I doubt this will help the Xbox One in a meaningful way. Don't get me wrong, it's going to help spread the Xbox love around the world but I don't think it's going to make people run to the store and buy one.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

They did a lot of marketing with Skype when XOne launched, but this one is a much smarter move. It might really help to market the console to the wide crowd.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Oh great, bloatware, as if I needed more reasons not to upgrade

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Seece said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
I am pretty sure most PC people won't care since I am guessing its a live tile which I am also presuming that it can be easily removed for other live tiles like how it is in the beta

Oh yeah, you'll possibly be able to move the tile, not sure you can actually get rid of it from your PC tho, it'll always be in the list.

I am pretty sure you can since the start menu is soo limited in terms of space and the Metro UI is disabled by default in windows 10

You may not be able to uninstall it but you can certainly keep it hidden without much effort

Just like I remove all traces of Explorer from any PC I buy once I have downloaded and installed Firefox. It's still hidden away in the computer, but it never sees the light of day after I have completed setting up my PC how I want it. 

I don't see how it will market Xbox consoles to a wider audience to much effect. Xbox is still a gaming brand, and the number of PC gamers who don't already know about Xbox must be tiny. Unless these people actually see something they feel they are missing out on and want badly with the presence of this app I don't see it having much effect at all. It's certainly not going to get the non-gamer PC users all suddenly interested in a gaming console. And if they have actual Xbox advertising up in your face then that will get very annoying very quickly. The mere presence of the app will do nothing, the PC user will need to be forced to watch promotional stuff to actually get them interested, and most people don't like being forced to watch promotional stuff. Hell you get millions of people bitching about 12 second ads on Youtube that they can't skip. Just think about the moaning that will happen if you have to watch an Xbox add every time you boot up your PC.

I am glad I'll be able to get a new PC sooner rather than later now that I'll be able to skip Windows 8. A bit miffed that our work computers only got upgraded to Windows 8 last year (we went from XP straight to 8), which possibly means no upgrade wo W10. Really happy to know that I'll be able to upgrade my 2 W8 laptops to W10 for free.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

All they need to announce is PC game streaming on Xbox...then it'll beat te PS4

It is a big deal for Xbox. It's not something that will win them 50 million extra sales or something, but that kind of free exposure on something as monstrous as Windows 10, that's huge. Especially the social aspect.