By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - iPhone SDK live blog

Some interesting stuff is going on over at the Apple iPhone SDK meeting. See screenshots of proof of concept games here (including stripped down Spore!): http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/06/live-from-apples-iphone-press-conference/

Around the Network

Einhorn from SEGA is on stage now.

Some great things are being announced.

I

Wow, I can see why they had to delay Leopard's release because of the iPhone. They were porting most of Mac OS X and it's programming tools onto it.

Spore and Super Monkey Ball. Developers choose price and get 70% of the revenue.

Mobile gaming devices might have cause for concern, if they didn't have a massive price advantage.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

@ famousringo, I don't like the accelerometer based games at all, I have a couple of games on my (hacked) iPod touch and i'm not a great fan of the accelerometer based games. Anyway, I have lost all my faith with apple cause they are charging iPod touch users to get these devices.

famousringo said:

Mobile gaming devices might have cause for concern, if they didn't have a massive price advantage.

Wait for the Google Phone (Or rather, the range of Android-based mobile phones).

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

The thing I hate is Apple charging for updates on the iTouch, but yet it's free on the iPhone. It's funny to see them and Microsoft playing nice also. The way I see it is they both need each other.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Munkeh111 said:
@ famousringo, I don't like the accelerometer based games at all, I have a couple of games on my (hacked) iPod touch and i'm not a great fan of the accelerometer based games.

Unhacked iPhone here, so I don't have any experience with that. What are the specific problems you've seen so far? Not enough sensitivity? Perhaps official games will have better implementations with the fully exposed and documented API.

Besides the accelerometer, I do think the high profile of the iPhone will cause at least a few well made games to be developed by the big guns. At the very least, I'll be happy to play a tetris clone on my iPhone.

I'm kind of skeptical about the potentential of the accelerometer control. Is isn't that exactly what the Sixaxis offers and what everyone hated about Lair? I have to say that audio and video are impressive. Way beyond any other phone and right up there with what the DS and the PSP can put out.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.