By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox One a failure?

Is XB1 a failure?

Yes! 615 40.51%

No! 711 46.84%

Gimme dem numbers! 68 4.48%

I pity Wii U :( 121 7.97%

Total:1,515
IFireflyl said:
Protendo said:
ZyroXZ2 said:
In a word: no.

Looking at its healthy library that has both good exclusives and all of the same third party games actually puts it above the PS4. Of course, it still doesn't come close to the flavors of exclusives on the Wii U...

Just because something sells well doesn't always mean it's the best. Hell, iPhones are a good example of this

By that logic, Dreamcast wasn't a failure!

IFireflyl said:

I'm not really sure why this topic exists. I'm not trying to be mean, but you already gave the numbers, and the only logical answer is that the Xbox One is not a failure.

Or if Microsoft didn't have such a huge warchest, it would of flopped.  It still was a failure because microsoft is having to acces the warchest.  If the Xbox division was spun off like investors hope, It'd fail.

Exactly. Microsoft has a huge warchest, and everyone knows that.

This is exactly on point! The Xbox One is a failure that MS have been able to sustain due to scale/money. Being able to sustain failure ideally means being able to learn from it. Just look at PlayStation!

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:

I'm not really sure why this topic exists. I'm not trying to be mean, but you already gave the numbers, and the only logical answer is that the Xbox One is not a failure. If it were a failure it wouldn't have moved so many units. That would be like asking if the PS3 was a failure at the end of its first full year of sales. Sony was being destroyed by Microsoft in terms of sales. They ended up catching up, and then surpassing Microsoft. I personally don't see Microsoft surpassing Sony unless they get some major game changers in (e.g. Xbox exclusive titles that people actually want), but Microsoft has too much money, and too much influence to just roll over because Sony is doing better than them at the beginning of the current-gen "console wars". Microsoft knows the gaming market is huge, and they won't back out of it. This discussion is kind of pointless because anyone with half a brain already knows that.

Curiously all that money didn't bought success for og Xbox or Azzure or Surface or Windows Phone... Besides what some want to believe (and maybe justify failures) Money don't buy success by itself (although it can soften failure), when Dos began they hadn't money, nor google. Japan wouldn't ever be what it became nor would the wealthiest man in korea be an ex-waiter... And all the chield of rich would be successfull..

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Outside the US it is a total failure.

I think things are getting muddy as there is a difference between being a corporate/business failure and to being a failure from a gamer’s perspective.

Some of the biggest corporate failures were my favorite consoles and the biggest success as a gamer.

Sega Saturn had amazing exclusives, and the best import scene around but it was a huge corporate flop.
Dreamcast was revolutionary at the time and I was glad to be part of it.
PSV had wonderful hardware and some really wonderful games, and was a success to me as a gamer but a flop on the business side.
Sega Nomad was a business disaster, but man was it great.
N64/GameCube both were great consoles to own but a failure regarding market share, while the N64 wasn't a flop it was a failure in a lot of ways.  Which lead to GameCube being a failure, but man were they great systems to own as a gamer.

I don’t think the Xbox One is a failure from a gamers perspective, but from a corporate/stockholders perspective it’s a dud.  A failure is still a failure no matter how much money you have to throw at it.  Losing money on it's own merits is a failure.

ZarskiSold said:
In comparison to the market leader, its a failure.

That's like saying, "In comparison to steak, bologna is a failure." Bologna sells very well. I personally don't like it. I personally wouldn't care if it stopped being made. I know that even though it isn't a top contender in the meat world (health wise, or taste wise) it is not going anywhere. The Xbox One is bologna in this analogy. I personally hate it, but I know it isn't going anywhere.

Around the Network

I would say that it's doing alright with sales but MS's policies are a failure. I don't how much they've lost on it. I guess only Phil could really answer that.

Zackasaurus-rex said:
Neodegenerate said:
small44 said:

Not sure how ps4 is eating wii market share which games attract people who bought wii for Wii play/fit and sport

Market share and demographics are not the same thing.  Last gen market share was 37.4% Wii, 31.3% PS3 and 360 each.  This gen it is currently 48.1% PS4, 28.6% XB1, and 23.3% Wii U.  That is indicative of the market share lost by the Wii U being taken up by PS4 more than it is that PS4 is taking it all away from the XB1.

Partially true, but there is a misguided assumption hidden there. Demographics matter because they construct the market. We know that many Wii owners are not traditional gamers and are not entering the new gen at all. Some stopped playing, some are on mobile, and some even died (the Wii had an impressive elderly audience).

Given that so much of the market has changed, it is evident that PS4's gains versus PS3 are the combination of gaining some Wii audience, some 360 audience, and some brand new/PC audience. Sony have commented on this, but I wish stronger numbers were possible. That would require a gaming census.

Nonetheless, we can be informed in other ways.

I don't believe Sony when they said they gaining wii audience because i don't see any games that attract people who bought wii for games like wii play or wii fit or any other system sellers casual game

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

IFireflyl said:
ZarskiSold said:
In comparison to the market leader, its a failure.

That's like saying, "In comparison to steak, bologna is a failure." Bologna sells very well. I personally don't like it. I personally wouldn't care if it stopped being made. I know that even though it isn't a top contender in the meat world (health wise, or taste wise) it is not going anywhere. The Xbox One is bologna in this analogy. I personally hate it, but I know it isn't going anywhere.

They are nothing alike.  There is a correlation with market share, exclusives, deals for exclusives, you get team A and they get Team B for the ports, deals on exclusive content, and we could go on.  How does that compare to Bologna, besides being vaguely similar to Boloney.

Protendo said:
DonFerrari said:
Companies care less about marketshare than About total sales and profit. Of course bigger presence and MS preffers total domination but no need to fret over it.

Exactly.  It's just like how developers supported the PS3 before the turnaround.  Sure more developers will focus on the Xbox 360 to build a game on, using their B team on the PS3 ports.  Sure the 360 will get cheaper exclusives.  It's the same thing but the rolls are reversed.  Though outside of the US and UK where Playstation never lost ground and Xbox is losing more ground, Playstation will gain exclusives.

I don't think it was a real turn around as it was managed drop... Certainly Sony invested a lot to keep ps3 viable, but their growth even with the bumps seemed more like natural than forced.

But I agree with everything else. Perhaps some genres/budgets can see more ps exclusives than gen 7th but most of the big guns will be multiplat.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Protendo said:

I think things are getting muddy as there is a difference between being a corporate/business failure and to being a failure from a gamer’s perspective.

Some of the biggest corporate failures were my favorite consoles and the biggest success as a gamer.

Sega Saturn had amazing exclusives, and the best import scene around but it was a huge corporate flop.
Dreamcast was revolutionary at the time and I was glad to be part of it.
PSV had wonderful hardware and some really wonderful games, and was a success to me as a gamer but a flop on the business side.
Sega Nomad was a business disaster, but man was it great.
N64/GameCube both were great consoles to own but a failure regarding market share, while the N64 wasn't a flop it was a failure in a lot of ways.  Which lead to GameCube being a failure, but man were they great systems to own as a gamer.

I don’t think the Xbox One is a failure from a gamers perspective, but from a corporate/stockholders perspective it’s a dud.  A failure is still a failure no matter how much money you have to throw at it.  Losing money on it's own merits is a failure.

You hit the nail on the head. Well spoken. This seems to be confusing most people in this thread so far.