By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox One a failure?

Is XB1 a failure?

Yes! 615 40.51%

No! 711 46.84%

Gimme dem numbers! 68 4.48%

I pity Wii U :( 121 7.97%

Total:1,515
IFireflyl said:
DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:

I'm not really sure why this topic exists. I'm not trying to be mean, but you already gave the numbers, and the only logical answer is that the Xbox One is not a failure. If it were a failure it wouldn't have moved so many units. That would be like asking if the PS3 was a failure at the end of its first full year of sales. Sony was being destroyed by Microsoft in terms of sales. They ended up catching up, and then surpassing Microsoft. I personally don't see Microsoft surpassing Sony unless they get some major game changers in (e.g. Xbox exclusive titles that people actually want), but Microsoft has too much money, and too much influence to just roll over because Sony is doing better than them at the beginning of the current-gen "console wars". Microsoft knows the gaming market is huge, and they won't back out of it. This discussion is kind of pointless because anyone with half a brain already knows that.

Is that really the only logical answer though? It can't really compete with PS4 and it's probably been costing MS quite a bit, and they had to lose the Kinect. I don't think it's as black and white as you make it out to be

How can't it compete with the PS4? Did you read the first part I said about Microsoft destroying Sony with the last-gen console start, and then Sony making a huge comeback and surpassing Microsoft? Microsoft can compete with Sony. They just need to make some changes (much like Sony had to with the PS3).

Edit: And losing the Kinect means nothing. If the biggest money-maker for Microsoft was the Kinect then that was a huge problem in the first place. The Kinect is a piece of garbage hardware that was implemented as a piss-poor attempt to take over the Wii-U market.

Here: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=151051&page=1#1 It's quite apparent PS3 never were far behind X360 and didn't make a huge comeback. That come back is a myth. Their only good markets are US and UK, you can't compete on those two markets alone. And remember that MS wants to earn money from XB1, and they can't make all that much from it right now

And I think you'll find that Protendo will have quite some interesting things to say about this.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

If the xbox is a failure, then the ps4 is only "not bad" and the wiiu is "atrociously failing" the reality is the xbox one is doing fine, the ps4 is doing great, and the wiiu is doing below average.

IFireflyl said:
DanneSandin said:
IFireflyl said:

I'm not really sure why this topic exists. I'm not trying to be mean, but you already gave the numbers, and the only logical answer is that the Xbox One is not a failure. If it were a failure it wouldn't have moved so many units. That would be like asking if the PS3 was a failure at the end of its first full year of sales. Sony was being destroyed by Microsoft in terms of sales. They ended up catching up, and then surpassing Microsoft. I personally don't see Microsoft surpassing Sony unless they get some major game changers in (e.g. Xbox exclusive titles that people actually want), but Microsoft has too much money, and too much influence to just roll over because Sony is doing better than them at the beginning of the current-gen "console wars". Microsoft knows the gaming market is huge, and they won't back out of it. This discussion is kind of pointless because anyone with half a brain already knows that.

Is that really the only logical answer though? It can't really compete with PS4 and it's probably been costing MS quite a bit, and they had to lose the Kinect. I don't think it's as black and white as you make it out to be

How can't it compete with the PS4? Did you read the first part I said about Microsoft destroying Sony with the last-gen console start, and then Sony making a huge comeback and surpassing Microsoft? Microsoft can compete with Sony. They just need to make some changes (much like Sony had to with the PS3).

Edit: And losing the Kinect means nothing. If the biggest money-maker for Microsoft was the Kinect then that was a huge problem in the first place. The Kinect is a piece of garbage hardware that was implemented as a piss-poor attempt to take over the Wii-U market.

Accessories have the best margins on market. 20M kinects and aditional console sales helped x360 a lot. X1 won't count on it so that is a loss.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I wouldn't exactly call it a success or a failure. It's doing well enough, for sure.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Zackasaurus-rex said:

Partially true, but there is a misguided assumption hidden there. Demographics matter because they construct the market. We know that many Wii owners are not traditional gamers and are not entering the new gen at all. Some stopped playing, some are on mobile, and some even died (the Wii had an impressive elderly audience).

Given that so much of the market has changed, it is evident that PS4's gains versus PS3 are the combination of gaining some Wii audience, some 360 audience, and some brand new/PC audience. Sony have commented on this, but I wish stronger numbers were possible. That would require a gaming census.

Nonetheless, we can be informed in other ways.

I am not saying that one has nothing to do with the other, not at all.  What I am pointing out is that people are quick to look at the PS4 and the performance there and label the XB1 a failure.  This is despite the fact that the XB1 hasn't really moved much in terms of marketshare.  Like you, I would love to have better data to show where exactly the market trends go.  Then we could get a more clear picture of what is going on gen to gen.  Instead we just get the assumptions of "all Wii users are now on cell phones" or "PS4 is gonna have half the market therefore the XB1 sucks" and the like.

Around the Network
IFireflyl said:

You're incompetent, and it's impossible to discuss facts with incompetent individuals. I hate Microsoft. I loathe the Xbox One. I'm just not stupid enough to say that the entire console is a failure based on one full year of sales, and knowing that they're doing better (sales-wise) than they did with the Xbox 360, and that Microsoft has a crap-ton of money to make the console work.

Actully this alone proves that you are what you are accusing me of.  

Having the money and actually spending it are to things on opposite ends of the spectrum.  No intelligent person will use the unrealistic arguments but they have money they will buy success.  Buying sales is in it self a failure.  

IFireflyl said:

EDIT: I removed my insult. I get angry when people say things that I feel are less than intelligent. My apologies.

Good. Like I said in the OP, keep it civil. Sop far the discussion has been, and I hope it continiues like that.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Ka-pi96 said:
It is by no means a failure. It is currently doing better than the 360 did and is beating what people expected it to do. Of course it all depends on whether it keeps this up throughout the gen, but so far it is far from a failure.

With the $50 off "promotion" being reinstated, with no end date, it has officially dropped price $150 from launch in 1 year, all the while packing in free games pretty much the whole time it's been on retail shelves, and only has done "better than 360"* due to the extremely front loaded launch coupled with the "fire sale" of "get it for $50 off while you can" during the holidays (which, like I said, was a marketing ploy to get people to react quickly, even though it was just gonna remain the same price afterwards). 

I really wish people would stop the "it's doing better than 360", since so many factors have changed and MS had to go to such extremes just to brag about that little "statistic".

With that said, I agree that it is by no means a failure as of right now if you just look at the raw numbers and don't consider anything else (what will happen when Sony finally reacts to all the moves MS is pulling, for example? Will that eat into XBone sales?). But, here in the real world, we don't look at things in a vacuum. 

DM235 said:
ZarskiSold said:
DM235 said:
I don't consider it a failure. I am fairly certain it is profitable for Microsoft. As people mentioned, there is no RROD fiasco like last generation. And sales are up compared to the 360. They are probably going to sell 60 - 80 million units by the time the generation is done.

From 500 to 350 in a year, cosntant free games to to spur sales.  Decupled a large invenstment like the Kinetc.  

In no chance are they profitable.  And it will never sale 60 million, 80 is just fairy tale thinking.  

The $500 to $350 included a $100 piece of hardware being removed.  Without the GDDR5 RAM, it should be cheaper to make than the PS4.  The average gamer will also buy an XBox Live subscription, another game and maybe another controller, so I don't see them losing money.

If the 360 could sell 80 million with RROD, the XBone can sell 80 million.  The market is bigger now, and the Wii U is giving up marketshare from the Wii (so some portion of those gamers will end up getting an XBone).

Hardware removed that will now never recope its costs.

360 sold much to do its direct competitor totally droping the ball, X1 has no such advantage.  It actually has NONE of the advantages that the 360 had which gave it thsoe sales.  

ZarskiSold said:
Welfare said:
No it's not. It's tracking ahead of every console besides the Wii, PS2, and PS4. People have to understand the PS4 is the market leader, and is going to have more sales compared to second place.

And that makes it a failure, i dont get why some are so scared of the word. 

If you are not the best #1 you have failed, its just a fact of the matter.  Evry counter argument is just opinion and felling but a fact is a fact.

30 teams try to win the Cup each year in the NHL, 29 fail to do it.  That makes them failures, that it.

I love it that you brought hockey into this argument...

The Toronto Maple Leafs have failed to win the cup in over 40 years.  However, they are league's most valuable team, and second highest in revenue and income.  I would not call them a failure (specifically in the business sense).

Edit: Adding Forbes link for info on value / revenue:

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/