By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 1080p30fps vs 720p60fps

?

1080p 30fps 258 37.34%

720p 60fps 393 56.87%

lol vidu gamez r 4 chums 36 5.21%

Total:687

60 FPS by far. 1080p is nice but usually brings nothing to the game. Theoretically there can be games where 1080p could be better, but I'm pretty sure even those games would benefit more from added effects, detail, etc.

Around the Network

Depends on the game, but 9/10 I'll choose 1080p/30fps.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Regarding TV size, I game on a 32 inch, and the gap between 720p and 1080p is still minor to me.

I can switch from playing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze in 720p to Rayman Legends in 1080p and not even really notice unless I consciously look for the difference.

torok said:
Nem said:

Are we to conclude you never played games before this new gen, or only on PC with gimped fps? Because otherwise you wouldnt be able to see anything. Yeah... the exageration isnt doing you any favors. 

The only way anyone can tell the difference is to stand really close and have a gigantic TV. Should we really be catering to such a minority at the cost of the gameplay and smoother animations everyone can benefit from? 

Logic in this industry... its missing.

I can see the difference in my 40' TV sitting at a good 2.5 meters. It isn't a gigantic TV, it's basicaly the cheapest HDTV you can pick up since 32' prices aren't much different. The upscaling messing with the quality results in a blured image so I lose detail. I don't see enemies at far distances that well. In TLOU, it isn't helping me to snipe since I prefer to keep the scope off and just try to search distant enemies with a higher fov.

If you think it don't make difference unless you have a 80' screen, then the only one that's is missing some logic is you.

If it was at 60fps you would be able to spot things in the distance very easily because you would have twice the number of frames beeing sent to your brain.

Also, saying its "blurred" is overstating it. Its still as good as what we have had if not better than last gen resolution. I'm sure no one was unable to see the games in their TV's and certainly didnt consider them "blurred".

If you think you make more logic lets aproach it: Your reason to have higher resolution are 1. shooters and 2. only the moments where you need to snipe really far away targets. 60fps improves all of your gameplay. Its not just one specific instance in a single genre. Yeah, logic.

Depends on the game and whether or not there is AA. If I were to generalize 1080p/30 fps + AA > 720p60+ AA > 1080p/30fps + no AA> 720/60fps + no AA.

Around the Network
Nem said:

If it was at 60fps you would be able to spot things in the distance very easily because you would have twice the number of frames beeing sent to your brain.

Also, saying its "blurred" is overstating it. Its still as good as what we have had if not better than last gen resolution. I'm sure no one was unable to see the games in their TV's and certainly didnt consider them "blurred".

If you think you make more logic lets aproach it: Your reason to have higher resolution are 1. shooters and 2. only the moments where you need to snipe really far away targets. 60fps improves all of your gameplay. Its not just one specific instance in a single genre. Yeah, logic.

Having 60 fps will help you to spot thing on distance because you have "twice the frames sent to your brain"? That's beyond ridiculous. It can help in reducing input lag and smoothing the animations, but seeing objects in the screen is a image quality characteristic. And image quality involves resolution, not framerate.

Yes, it is blurred. There isn't a way to upscale 720p to 1080p without losing image information because you don't have a direct correlation between pixels (unlike 1080p and 4K or 540p and 1080p). You aren't unable to see your games, but you will se them blurred and with aliasing problems.

Yes, it's logic. It's image clarity. It's about seeing better what you are doing. Seeing better the whole game. Shooter are just one single example. Being able to see far things and to see close things without blur improves your experience as much as smooth animations.

This spring; I'll be quite content with 1440p @ 60-70 FPS.

For consoles; framerate over resolution any day of the week.

1080p30fps is better for well over 90% of games out there. A weird cult mentality is the only reason non-developers think otherwise.

Only a select set of games rely on the 60fps, and most of those are things like shmups that can do 1080p60fps anyway.

Zackasaurus-rex said:

Only a select set of games rely on the 60fps, and most of those are things like shmups that can do 1080p60fps anyway.

I disagree. Any game can benefit from 60 fps (or higher) in the same way any game can benefit from 1080p. There is a noticeable improvement in all games. Whether or not such a change will affect gameplay is a different argument, though. That depends on the game. But if we are to have that argument, there are more games that will have better gameplay at 60fps than there are games that will have better gameplay for being 1080p. 

60fps easy.