By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Order: 1886 Is Actually Quite Innovative; it’s Time to Shelve that Boring, Generic Excuse to Bash it

Roronaa_chan said:
Dusk said:

I didn't read any of what you wrote, sorry. From what I have seen, 1886 is a TPS version of Ryse. I actually had very high hopes for the game, but the more I see, the less interested I am. 

It's nothing like Ryse.. Ryse's equivalent of a TPS would be a game where you only use a pistol from start to finish.

@wilco, whether you think it's dumb or not is irrelevant, it's not a QTE, and even if it was there's still hardly any QTEs, therefore anyone calling it a QTE fest is straight up lying, as I already said.

I wasn't referring to weapons because really that isn't all that important. If you only had one pistol in the entirty of the game it should make no difference as long as the game is of good quality and the gameplay is designed around it. 

It has the same quicktime events with action buttons followed by linear gameplay that looks to be more cinematic than game where you actually feel you have a choice and become a part of the game instead of just watching it go by. At first it seemed like it could have been a thinking persons game where you are out to track down some killer that is possibly super natural. Play the game your way, act as a sherlock holmes type character with steampunk. The original trailers left so much open and they have ended up making it a game of tunnel vision with little complexity. 

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
wilco said:

No, they are not "lying" just because they aren't using your personal definition of qte. I don't know what definition you are using but for the rest of us, that is a qte.

Even using that senseless definition of QTE it's still a lie. This is not a QTE fest. Nothing of what we've seen is a QTE fest, no matter how broad your definition of QTE is. It's straight up lies.

GribbleGrunger said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, this statement could very easily be reversed to apply to Sony fans defending it, just saying.

Defending against what? Speculation? Imagination? BS? Oh, I see, people should be able to crap on any Sony game even though it's not even out, but if any Sony fan points this out, the argument is ballanced.

Blind defense isn't any better than blind criticism. Not saying that's necessarily what's going on, on either side, but using fanaticism to fight fanaticism does not give one the moral high ground.

DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:
Curious that most if not all the complaining about the OP (which is quite good) comes from Nintendo fan who criticizes most if not all that Sony does.

To be fair, this statement could very easily be reversed to apply to Sony fans defending it, just saying.

Yes it could. But for a reason mods stablished that being overly positive about brand/game is acceptable, overly negative isn't.

I haven't seen anything yet, in this thread anyway, that I would qualify as ban worthy negativity. Nobody's spouting venomous hyperbole about how it'll be "teh wurst game eva" or anything like that. Unless I missed something.

you know a game is going to do badly when its anxious would-be fans are whipping themselves into an article-writing frenzy pleading breathlessly with everyone within earshot that, no, really, it's going to be innovative and good and stuff...

and they all just slip away without so much as a backward glance.

Around the Network

This is incredible. Just like on Gaf people are now redefining QTEs to justify the constant bashing of this game. I guess TLOU was a QTE fest too because it had just as many button prompts as this game. Why don't you all just shut up and wait for the game to come out instead of ingoring the people that have said it's great and focusing on the people who have 'concerns'. Thanks Christ the majority of PS4 fans don't bother with the internet.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

This is incredible. Just like on Gaf people are now redefining QTEs to justify the constant bashing of this game. I guess TLOU was a QTE fest too because it had just as many button prompts as this game. Why don't you all just shut up and wait for the game to come out instead of ingoring the people that have said it's great and focusing on the people who have 'concerns'. Thanks Christ the majority of PS4 fans don't bother with the internet.

When was the last time since a video game has caused as much devisive opinion between gamers as The Order? I don't think I have ever seen anything like this..

LudicrousSpeed said:
LOL what a bizarre article. I like how he lists some common gameplay complaints, like boring and generic, but tries to tell us those complaints are invalid because of these massive reaches on what qualifies as innovative, none of which are crucial to gameplay. aka the portion of the game people are worried about.

I mean, the gunplay looks like ass, there seems to be way to many QTE's and it looks extremely linear, all imho, but the music and some development tricks! Surely those make up for it. And the setting, wow. Even though you can't explore off your set cinematic path, it's still totally innovative! Weak gunplay and tired TPS mechanics in a typical espionage setting or the usual sci-fi, well that's boring. Weak gunplay and tired mechanics in a Victorian setting, baby you got a stew going.

For once I agree with LudicrousSpeed.  The games problem is not innovation, it's the gameplay.

What the heck is with the hand pistol having ridiculous recoil spasm, while bullets seem to curve and hit the target anyway?  That's some innovation that would've been better left out.

My 8th gen collection

GribbleGrunger said:

This applies to all gamers. The image of millions of people so highly invested in forums talk is pathetic.

Console exclusives get unjustified hate in general, as the consoles itself. Gladfully the average customer doesn't care.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:
curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:
Curious that most if not all the complaining about the OP (which is quite good) comes from Nintendo fan who criticizes most if not all that Sony does.

Yes it could. But for a reason mods stablished that being overly positive about brand/game is acceptable, overly negative isn't.

I haven't seen anything yet, in this thread anyway, that I would qualify as ban worthy negativity. Nobody's spouting venomous hyperbole about how it'll be "teh wurst game eva" or anything like that. Unless I missed something.

Yes you are right that there wasn't any ban worthy negativism but also there isn't blind support (just some people who likes the game even with things that are issues to others). Just saying in vgc the negative posts are less acepted than positive (mainly because the negatives lead to flaming and trolling sometimes). I actually would accept if both were accepted equally.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."