By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will PS4 have a price cut?

pbroy said:
PS4 doesn't need a price drop. It's crushing Xbone.

WW, but thats because the price is the same in most territories, and SONY has an undisputed brand advantage. And even after the DRM fiasco and focus on TV, the xbox one is still looking to sell very well! In fact I'm estimated 70 million sales for the XBOX ONE.

Around the Network

The console is selling like pancakes, so I'm not expecting any price cuts in 2015.

E3 at the earliest.

I expect either a price cut at the end of this year (think, November) or they are going to bundle the crap out of it during the same time frame. I doubt we'll see much in the way of deals until then though. Maybe a bundle in the U.S. but unless MS start to claw back Sony has no reason to do anything.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

September 10th 2015 to $349.

Around the Network

It isn't going to get a price cut for awhile. Y'know why? Sony doesn't care about how many they sell. They would rather sell fewer at a much higher profit margin and reap the benefits of a higher attach ratio. That way they making plenty of money on the licensing and the sales of the console. Sony could really give a shit about outselling the competition.

Soon! xD

November.

Hmm I may have to recant my previous prediction. Sony historically cut the PS2's price in the US every May. Despite not needing to. Given their current focus on certain revenue streams (PS+, PS Now, PS Vue, etc) they probably care more about market share than HW profit. So, maybe it'll happen in May 2015 too, after The Order and Bloodborne are out. Or for timing sake's they might delay that until E3 day and announce the cut for the day after E3.

They might even go for 300 dollars if they do that.

I am not surprised they did not drop it in the holidays. There is enough info out there to conclude that if they had done that, they'd have been unable to meet demand due to having to ship so much outside of the US. There is no point in lowering price point to increase sales if you are unable to actually make those sales due to stock shortage. Doing it in mid-2015 guarantees a better stock situation, so everyone who runs out to buy a cheaper PS4 should be able to find one. Then it's a matter of managing manufactoring so that they are still properly stocked in the holidays.

Let's say September 2015...