By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair - Kotaku

MDMAlliance said:
Cleary397 said:

Well the price point of the console itself would be £20 more expensive if they included the charger, so i dont see what you are moaning about?

They are doing it to give you options, rather than tying you in to having to get that specific charger. It gives you the option to save a little bit of dolla

That's only the price if you purchase the XL charging cradle with it.  The AC Adapter it self doesn't cost that much.

This also contains the fallacy that Nintendo would have to pay £20 to include it when its actually more like 50p.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
fluky-nintendy said:
Nintendo from the 80s-90s: games games games.
Nintendo from the 00s-10s: profits profits profits.

Money will kill them.

I think every company is only about money. Every one of them

Click HERE and be happy 

Wright said:
MDMAlliance said:
Wright said:

Imagine if Xbox consoles were sold without the power supply and you have to buy them separatedly. :P

Not an equivalent comparison. It would be equivalent if the 3DS simply didn't come with a battery.  

Well, that's exactly the same case. Xbox without a battery. 3DS without a battery. Neither works.

You could say 3DS lasts longer because it already has some battery life on it when you purchase it, but it will eventually run out, and it will be a great brick to have at your house unless you went and get an adapter. Same thing, you'll have to go to the store, grab a power supply if you don't have one already and then come back so that finally the console works.

Not really, though. Xbox without a battery is like 3DS without its processor.  It may sound like a stretch, but the fact of the matter is that the battery for an XBox resides inside the hardware, while the battery for the 3DS is an easily removable piece of hardware.  

The fact is that the price and availability of an XBox adapter would be more so equivalent to a 3DS battery, not adapter.

It's just annoying to not have it included.

teigaga said:
Cleary397 said:
Why is picking up a charger from the store you are buying the New 3DS from such a big deal?!

This is being blown way out of proportion

Its like selling you a console without HMDI or any tv adapter for that matter. Obviously not the end of world seeing as you can pick them up else but an unwanted inconvenience especially for the uniformed lot bound to go home and be like.... wait!? I'm missing something.

The uninformed lot should read the clear writing on the box that says "AC Adapter sold seperately"

Around the Network
MDMAlliance said:

Not really, though. Xbox without a battery is like 3DS without its processor.  It may sound like a stretch, but the fact of the matter is that the battery for an XBox resides inside the hardware, while the battery for the 3DS is an easily removable piece of hardware.  

The fact is that the price and availability of an XBox adapter would be more so equivalent to a 3DS battery, not adapter.

I see, that's different then.

MikeRox said:
MDMAlliance said:
Cleary397 said:

Well the price point of the console itself would be £20 more expensive if they included the charger, so i dont see what you are moaning about?

They are doing it to give you options, rather than tying you in to having to get that specific charger. It gives you the option to save a little bit of dolla

That's only the price if you purchase the XL charging cradle with it.  The AC Adapter it self doesn't cost that much.

This also contains the fallacy that Nintendo would have to pay £20 to include it when its actually more like 50p.

I was just going along with it since I imagine most companies would add the price they would sell it separately to how much they say the price would have been if they had included it with the system.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

Imagine if Xbox consoles were sold without the power supply and you have to buy them separatedly. :P

A better comparison would be Xbox controllers. The charger for those is sold seperately...

That's a better comparison, but it still has the problem of price point.  A controller is going to be at least $20, and used would likley be a minimum of $10, while the equivalent for a 3DS adapter would be $2.

edit: After seeing the reply, I realized that you were talking about Xbox controller chargers.  I honestly didn't even think about that since I still think about controllers as being wired most of the time.

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
It's always, always lame when a company doesn't give you everything you need to play out of the box. I don't care which company it is, it bugs me. It's not even really me, I can deal with it just fine, but a lot of kids won't know and a lot of parents won't know.

Yeah, I know $.50 times a few million is a lot of money but come on.

Actually most consoles (sans the bundles) are not coming with a game, that is needed to play with said console.

I agree it is annoying, but it isn't world shattering bad and definitely not a deal breaker. This would be even less a problem, if Nintendo didn't do a stupid propietary charger but used one of the USB-standards.

Actually most consoles nowadays (at least the PS4) have a selection of F2P titles, and decent ones at that, which you can play right after getting the console. If you get PS+ that's multiplied, but we'll keep it to free for now.

Cleary397 said:
Munkeh111 said:

That £20 is the price you have to pay from the official Nintendo store. I get that you can get them cheap, but personally I'd really prefer a 1st party one, don't really know why especially as I use any old usb cable to charge my phone...

My main point was that it has not been communicated clearly and can be confusing for first time buyers like myself

Are they not interested in getting new customers?

Do you not see how it's a bit of a pain for a new customer to have to work this out and then buy one seperately? If I buy something like this, I'd really like it to work without me having to buy an accessory

As for the price, it would cost them a couple of £ to include the charger. My point about the £20 is that if you go through the official Nintendo store, that is the most obvious solution presented to you. When/if I buy one, I don't think I'll be spending £20 on a charger/cradle