By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair - Kotaku

Neodegenerate said:

The uninformed lot should read the clear writing on the box that says "AC Adapter sold seperately"

That isn't even that clear.  A lot of consumer electronics are sold with USB charging cables, but no AC adapter.

Also to people in general in this thread.  If it is no big deal for the consumer to spend ~$10 extra on a charger, why is it a big deal for Nintendo to include one when it costs them far less?

Around the Network
Barozi said:
Euphoria14 said:
Cleary397 said:

Have been using 3rd party chargers on all my DS's for years and never had a single problem. Nothing would happen.

You are cluching at straws to keep hating them for this 

I'm just telling you what the risk could be. I'm not hating on anything, i'm just stating the truth, which is why I also mentioned that if god forbid anything happened due to that charger it is very unlikely that Nintendo could link it to that, unless of course you actually went ahead and actually told them. Nothing I mentioned thus far is false.

Don't like it, ignore it. I would say something if Apple or anyone else with propietary accessories failed to include them too, and i'm a BIG iPhone fan.

1000 times this.
Always go for the original product if you can, even if it's 10 times more expensive.

risking a defective console/handheld would be the least of your concerns. 3rd party chargers, batteries etc. are much more prone to break, which can cause electrocution and/or fire.

Then pay the extra £20 for the official one, which would have been an extra £20 on the bundle anyway.

If that is what you want then you have nothing to complain about.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Munkeh111 said:
Cleary397 said:
Munkeh111 said:

That £20 is the price you have to pay from the official Nintendo store. I get that you can get them cheap, but personally I'd really prefer a 1st party one, don't really know why especially as I use any old usb cable to charge my phone...

My main point was that it has not been communicated clearly and can be confusing for first time buyers like myself

Well the price point of the console itself would be £20 more expensive if they included the charger, so i dont see what you are moaning about?

They are doing it to give you options, rather than tying you in to having to get that specific charger. It gives you the option to save a little bit of dolla

Are they not interested in getting new customers?

Do you not see how it's a bit of a pain for a new customer to have to work this out and then buy one seperately? If I buy something like this, I'd really like it to work without me having to buy an accessory

As for the price, it would cost them a couple of £ to include the charger. My point about the £20 is that if you go through the official Nintendo store, that is the most obvious solution presented to you. When/if I buy one, I don't think I'll be spending £20 on a charger/cradle

If they actually included the AC adapter, I don't think they would have included the cradle.  They didn't include the XL cradle with the regular 3DS XL.

There are people around the world homeless and/or starving or dying from disease or things like terrorist attacks.  And yet there are all these people that live comfortably enough and can afford to be online and think about buying one of these systems and are bitching like little ass-children because an ac adapter doesn't come with the unit.

Get a fkg clue or go suck an egg and piss off.  you make me sick.

Warned - Leadified

Munkeh111 said:
Cleary397 said:
Munkeh111 said:

That £20 is the price you have to pay from the official Nintendo store. I get that you can get them cheap, but personally I'd really prefer a 1st party one, don't really know why especially as I use any old usb cable to charge my phone...

My main point was that it has not been communicated clearly and can be confusing for first time buyers like myself

Well the price point of the console itself would be £20 more expensive if they included the charger, so i dont see what you are moaning about?

They are doing it to give you options, rather than tying you in to having to get that specific charger. It gives you the option to save a little bit of dolla

Are they not interested in getting new customers?

Do you not see how it's a bit of a pain for a new customer to have to work this out and then buy one seperately? If I buy something like this, I'd really like it to work without me having to buy an accessory

As for the price, it would cost them a couple of £ to include the charger. My point about the £20 is that if you go through the official Nintendo store, that is the most obvious solution presented to you. When/if I buy one, I don't think I'll be spending £20 on a charger/cradle

The charger and cradle is priced at £20 by Nintendo.

I think its a reasonable assumption that the New 3DS bundle is £20 cheaper than originally planned due to them removing the charger.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Neodegenerate said:

The uninformed lot should read the clear writing on the box that says "AC Adapter sold seperately"

That isn't even that clear.  A lot of consumer electronics are sold with USB charging cables, but no AC adapter.

Also to people in general in this thread.  If it is no big deal for the consumer to spend ~$10 extra on a charger, why is it a big deal for Nintendo to include one when it costs them far less?

It isn't a big deal if they included it as well.  It's the preferred way, really.  However, given how people have been reacting to the news that it isn't included clearly shows that it's being blown out of proportion.  It's at worst an annoying hindrance.

Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

Imagine if Xbox consoles were sold without the power supply and you have to buy them separatedly. :P

A better comparison would be Xbox controllers. The charger for those is sold seperately...

Well, I've never had a problem with that :P

MDMAlliance said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

Imagine if Xbox consoles were sold without the power supply and you have to buy them separatedly. :P

A better comparison would be Xbox controllers. The charger for those is sold seperately...

That's a better comparison, but it still has the problem of price point.  A controller is going to be at least $20, and used would likley be a minimum of $10, while the equivalent for a 3DS adapter would be $2.

He's not comparing the AC adaptors to the controllers, he's comparing it to the cable to charge the controllers. Though it's still not quite right, since you get one with the console and you can just use that one for all of them with no problems, unless you want to have an all-day 4-player gaming marathon or something. They're also Micro USB, so it's not exactly rare for you to have more than one way to charge it even before you get the console.

Yakuzaice said:

I would say it is pretty clear.  After all, the iphone I recently bought my wife didn't include the wall piece (read: ac adapter) but didn't actually have any indicator on the box that it didn't.  It did, however, include the cord.  Thus, they didn't feel the need to mark the box.

It is not the fault of the company providing the product that someone might not read the box or might misinterpret what "no AC adapter" might mean.  Consumers need to be held accountable for knowing what they are purchasing.

st0pnsw0p said:
MDMAlliance said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Wright said:

That's a better comparison, but it still has the problem of price point.  A controller is going to be at least $20, and used would likley be a minimum of $10, while the equivalent for a 3DS adapter would be $2.

He's not comparing the AC adaptors to the controllers, he's comparing it to the cable to charge the controllers. Though it's still not quite right, since you get one with the console and you can just use that one for all of them with no problems, unless you want to have an all-day 4-player gaming marathon or something. They're also Micro USB, so it's not exactly rare for you to have more than one way to charge it even before you get the console.

Yeah, I realized after Wright replied to him.  I made an edit to fix the misunderstanding.

And I think the situation he was proposing was if you didn't get a charger for the controller that came with the console or something.