By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon: The Hype is real?

siddhartha87 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
siddhartha87 said:
Looks ok at best, nothing special or innovative. Seems like a discount price dlc shooter

But observing the lack of any shooters on the wiiu it would have some people hyped.

You either didn't even look at the game, or you're just flat out lying!

This is what I dislike about fans. Is it that hard to comprehend that I might not have the same opinion on the game as yours

Except we're not dealing with opinions. It's a fact that it not only looks different, it plays differently to most every other shooter, so for you to say it's not unique can only mean one of the two aforementioned scenarios.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
siddhartha87 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
siddhartha87 said:
Looks ok at best, nothing special or innovative. Seems like a discount price dlc shooter

But observing the lack of any shooters on the wiiu it would have some people hyped.

This is what I dislike about fans. Is it that hard to comprehend that I might not have the same opinion on the game as yours

Except we're not dealing with opinions. It's a fact that it not only looks different, it plays differently to most every other shooter, so for you to say it's not unique can only mean one of the two aforementioned scenarios.

It looks like a shooter with cartoonish graphics, and it seems similar to ratchet and clank. Its no groundbreaking masterpeice which is going to take the genre by storm, a previous post mentioned plants v. zombies and i believe that was an apt comparison. I dont think this worth the full 60$ (which i believe no multiplayer focussed game is) but at a discount price coupled with Us  free online I would most likely get it.

And that is my opinion. Since you had accused me of lying from the get go I know this is not going to go anywhere, this is also the main problem with nintendo discussions, any post containing any opinion apart from fawning praise gets jumped at.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Areym said:
Let's hope it doesn't destiny.

Part of the problem with Destiny is that it had an unreasonable amount of hype behind it and wasn't significantly different from other shooters. Splatoon will have neither of those problems!

I wouldn't say unreasonable but the hype killed the beast. Word of mouth will be the saving grace for splatoon. Kids now a days will pick CoD and Halo over Splatoon anyday.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Will it support Wiimote/nunchuck?

siddhartha87 said:

Since you had accused me of lying from the get go I know this is not going to go anywhere

Yet here you are still responding!

Yes it is a colorful third person shooter, but beyond that it is completely different from PvZ and R&C especially, or any shooter for that matter. Anyone who's actually looked at these games would be able to tell you that. You don't think the game is worth $60? Sure that's fine. My issue as I already clarified is you saying the game isn't unique when that's factually incorrect. And lol please, you will be called out for saying ignorant nonsense anywhere.

Around the Network
Areym said:

I wouldn't say unreasonable but the hype killed the beast. Word of mouth will be the saving grace for splatoon. Kids now a days will pick CoD and Halo over Splatoon anyday.

Yes it was very much unreasonable and not fair to Bungie at all when the game they made is still very solid.

You can say that about practically any game lol.

Einsam_Delphin said:
siddhartha87 said:

Since you had accused me of lying from the get go I know this is not going to go anywhere

Yet here you are still responding!

Yes it is a colorful third person shooter, but beyond that it is completely different from PvZ and R&C especially, or any shooter for that matter. Anyone who's actually looked at these games would be able to tell you that. You don't think the game is worth $60? Sure that's fine. My issue as I already clarified is you saying the game isn't unique when that's factually incorrect. And lol please, you will be called out for saying ignorant nonsense anywhere.

If by unique you mean certain unique features, then fine you are correct, but in that case even every new iteration of CoDs have them. But if you mean it so unique that it provides a never seen before game experience that I would have to disagree with you. Pretty much every game is "unique" in its own way.

And while i appreciate the fact that you are responding to my posts and clarifying your position, I would prefer it if you could tone down with the "ignorant nonsense" stuff. Not every disagreement has to be peppered with insults.

Areym said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Part of the problem with Destiny is that it had an unreasonable amount of hype behind it and wasn't significantly different from other shooters. Splatoon will have neither of those problems!

Truth. Its really going to be adults playing these games for fun and kids as well, but the kids will mostly be playing Halo, Uncharted, Gears and COD.

siddhartha87 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
siddhartha87 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
siddhartha87 said:

It looks like a shooter with cartoonish graphics, and it seems similar to ratchet and clank. Its no groundbreaking masterpeice which is going to take the genre by storm, a previous post mentioned plants v. zombies and i believe that was an apt comparison. I dont think this worth the full 60$ (which i believe no multiplayer focussed game is) but at a discount price coupled with Us  free online I would most likely get it.

And that is my opinion. Since you had accused me of lying from the get go I know this is not going to go anywhere, this is also the main problem with nintendo discussions, any post containing any opinion apart from fawning praise gets jumped at.

I think multiplayer focused games ARE worth the full price, as they provide many more hours of entertainment than a single-player campaign. And I certainly agree with the other posters here: the game is obviously creative and innovative. Your grasping at straws trying to prove otherwise. Your fancy words can't hide the thinness of your argument.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

siddhartha87 said:

If by unique you mean certain unique features, then fine you are correct, but in that case even every new iteration of CoDs have them. But if you mean it so unique that it provides a never seen before game experience that I would have to disagree with you. Pretty much every game is "unique" in its own way.

And while i appreciate the fact that you are responding to my posts and clarifying your position, I would prefer it if you could tone down with the "ignorant nonsense" stuff. Not every disagreement has to be peppered with insults.

By unique I mean the core gameplay itself. The territorial mechanics are what really seperate it from eveything else, as I certainly can't think of a shooter with similar traits. Movement is highly dependent on turf, as you move faster on your own but slow as molasses on the opponent's. By painting on walls and through grates you'll be able to access otherwise inaccessible areas, but of course if the enemy's paint is there it's a no go until you paint over it. Having access to high vantage points will be important because ink bullets are affected by gravity which means it's easier to shoot at someone below you than someone who's higher. There's also a stealth factor, as ink bullets are visible so you'll be able tell where enemies are when they're shooting, and you'll be able to infer that someone's nearby if you see enemy ink on the ground. When in Squid form on your own ink, you're completely invisible, and even while moving you only leave small ripples in the ink. While these mechanics add depth to the gameplay, at the same time the game's main mode Turf War also raises accessibility. The main objective isn't to get the most kills but to cover the most ground in your team's ink color. This means even if you're not that good you can still help out your team without being a burden. Even if all this doesn't interest you, you can't deny that it's definitely unique! And yes I would hope that every game is unique from each other lel, but even still this game is unique to the shooter genre as a whole.

Well you came in here with what appeared to be a typical anti-Nintendo response so naturally I responded with a typical anti-anti-Nintendo response!