By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Death of Nintendo Would Do Gaming Zero Favors

RolStoppable said:
bubblegamer said:

It not about arrogance. Sony's games are bought by the hardcore, those aren't crazy about mobile gaming, they often complain the PS4 isn't powerful enough for example! Nitendo's IP's however are much more appealing to the crowd playing on mobile devices, just watch their presence in Japan and notice how crazy Japan is about mobile gaming. Also Sony earns much more from sales of third party developers on their consoles, while Nintendo mostly sells their own software making the need for an inhouse platform much smaller.

What? If you sell a lot of your own software, then being able to keep all the profits to yourself is very desirable.

Why would that be impossible on iOS or Android? Also don't forget the much larger audience they could reach with such a move. There is a reason their investors want this, it means making more money.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
bubblegamer said:
RolStoppable said:

What? If you sell a lot of your own software, then being able to keep all the profits to yourself is very desirable.

Why would that be impossible on iOS or Android? Also don't forget the much larger audience they could reach with such a move. There is a reason their investors want this, it means making more money.

Because Apple and Google take 30% of your revenue. Well, I am not sure about Google, but Apple definitely takes 30%.

The investors that want Nintendo to go third party say so because it would make the stock skyrocket and then they could sell their shares. They are only interested in their own gains, but not what is good for Nintendo in the long term.

Yeah you're right about Apple, can't find more about Google, but it seems Steam takes 30% as well so chance are Google does the same, makes me wonder about PSN, eShop and Xbox Live now lol.

Anyways, the investor part might have some truth to it, after all that's how investors are, but shares rising means people want to get in on what Nintendo is doing and that would in turn increase their market value, which is every commercial companys dream.

OdinHades said:
I agree that the industry wouldn't gain anything if Ninty died. But I personally just don't care anymore. They just don't make games anymore that I'm interested in. I mean of course I would have fun with one game or another, but it just doesn't justify the purchase of a 299€ console. The Quality of the games also went down since the days of the Wii imo.

I would be happy if Nintendo became third party. Not because I hate them, but because that way I could play some Mario Kart with my friends on a console I already own. Instead of throwing out 500€+ for the machine and Controllers, I could just get the game For 60€. There's simply No way I will be ever buying another Nintendo console. I'm totally Fine with the PlayStation and don't miss anything.

Just my Personal opinion, not saying I'm right with everything.

^^^^^^^^^^This above post is exactly how i feel in a nutshell.  I grew up like a lot of gamers with nintendo, and it seems to me ever since sony showed up they just were never able to compete, and its only gotten worse over the years.  Nintendo for whatever reason seem to outright refuse to spend the money to create a more balanced competive system in terms of the hardware specs, and a more flushed out online experience.  Instead they want to rely on gimmicky controllers, a fickle casual audience, and running their 1st party games into the ground none of which is a recipe for a consistently competive console imo.

Poliwrathlord said:
Anyone who wishes for the death of any company is just pathetic.

What about Bayer, for example? Manufacture the pesticides that are killing bees, even though the pesticide has been shown to be ineffective at stopping actual pests. Meanwhile, as bees edge toward extinction, 1/3 of all food humans eat is threatened when the bees stop pollinating and those plants go extinct. The famines would be like nothing the world has ever known. Europe tried to ban the pesticides to save the bees, so Bayer sued the European Union. They're so obsessed with money, they'd see bees extinct and massive famines rock civilization to its core rather than face facts and make a new product and have profits dip for a bit. If you don't want them to die, fine, but you can't say it's pathetic to want it. Or what about Sea World? Horrific abuse of whales, just watch Blackfish. I'd love to see them die. How about big polluter companies? Sure, it's not too late for them to change now, but they won't, and down the line when global warming and climate change cause billions in damage, people will want them dead, and I won't blame them. 

All I'm saying is saying that "Anyone who wishes for the death of any company is just pathetic."is a sweeping, unfair absolute statement. Wanting a game company to die just because it's not a brand you're interested in is pathetic, but wanting a company to die in general may be justified or at least defensible depending on the circumstances.

HylianSwordsman said:
Poliwrathlord said:

What about Bayer, for example? Manufacture the pesticides that are killing bees, even though the pesticide has been shown to be ineffective at stopping actual pests. Meanwhile, as bees edge toward extinction, 1/3 of all food humans eat is threatened when the bees stop pollinating and those plants go extinct. The famines would be like nothing the world has ever known. Europe tried to ban the pesticides to save the bees, so Bayer sued the European Union. They're so obsessed with money, they'd see bees extinct and massive famines rock civilization to its core rather than face facts and make a new product and have profits dip for a bit. If you don't want them to die, fine, but you can't say it's pathetic to want it. Or what about Sea World? Horrific abuse of whales, just watch Blackfish. I'd love to see them die. How about big polluter companies? Sure, it's not too late for them to change now, but they won't, and down the line when global warming and climate change cause billions in damage, people will want them dead, and I won't blame them. 

All I'm saying is saying that "Anyone who wishes for the death of any company is just pathetic."is a sweeping, unfair absolute statement. Wanting a game company to die just because it's not a brand you're interested in is pathetic, but wanting a company to die in general may be justified or at least defensible depending on the circumstances.

bayer sued the EU because the reason for the ban was bullshit and the EU couldnt present any evidence for the claims.

Around the Network

I agree with the overall point the article is trying to make, but it's pretty poorly written. The author's own biases are laced heavily through out the whole thing, and his attempts to present those biases as a point of fact just make it comes across as the ramblings of a fanboy (which is a shame, since his core argument is perfectly valid if you ignore all of the nonsense puffing it up).

The part where he "dares" to state that gaming would be flat out bad with Nintendo made me groan. It would certainly be worse on the whole, they play a important role in the industry after all, but i fail to see how Nintendo themselves have a direct impact on the quality of every other developers titles.

Well, duh.. I thought that was something thatwas well-known by now!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Legendary_W said:
JoeAncelotti said:
Poliwrathlord said:

Never a truer word has been spoken. 

A company dying, whichever it is, means lots of men going back to their homes and telling their wife and kids that they no longer have a job. But oh well, it's just people behind a keyboard that most of the time don't really think nor understand very well what they're saying.

Jup, completely agree. Many people forget the employees. 

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

bunchanumbers said:
The day Nintendo dies is the day I become a retro gamer and that's it. The twins have very few ideas when it comes to innovating the industry and the ideas they do have are usually bad ideas that are meant to make them more money. Nintendo is the only company willing to give their consumers a fair shake these days.

Nintendo is very anti-consumer when it comes to their region-locking policy. Also having the New Nintendo 3DS be able to play games that the older models cannot is a huge middle finger to 40 million + 3DS owners. But you're right Nintendo always does right by consumers. /sarcasm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Locknuts said:
Skullwaker said:
None of the big 3 should die. Absolutely no one would benefit from that, I promise you. They all keep each other on their toes and the market continues to be healthy because of it.

Honestly though it would bring a smile to my face if Sony went under. I'm sick, I know. Either that or they could improve their business practices and customer service. Either is good.

:P Always remember you cant beat Sony, not even PS3 failed in the end