By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA V is the best selling Retail game of all time!

FarleyMcFirefly said:
I find it funny how people discredit Wii sports (Wii sales in general) just because it does not meet their subjective criteria

I find it funny when people try to count a tech demo that came with every single system for years as the best selling game ever. 

Around the Network

"Tetris, the world’s most successful game, is 30 years old today. Thanks to its simple and addictive gameplay, the massive popularity of the original Game Boy and mobile phones, an estimated 170 million copies of Tetris have been sold since its debut in 1984. "

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Skullwaker said:
"Tetris, the world’s most successful game, is 30 years old today. Thanks to its simple and addictive gameplay, the massive popularity of the original Game Boy and mobile phones, an estimated 170 million copies of Tetris have been sold since its debut in 1984. "

Tetris is a game series, it isn't only one game (Tetris Plus, Tetris DS, Tetris Worlds)!
And a huge part of 170M copies sold should be digital (considering that Tetris is a Free2Play game on Smartphones).

Dr.Vita said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Still sold more.

I know that isn't easy to accept because is a shit game, but GTA V have sold less than Wii Sport.

Also, games like Super Mario, Minecraft, Tetris, and more have sold more.

GTA V is for sure a beasting, but is not the best seller ever.

Please give me a source where you show me that these series sold more than GTA V.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1319680/minecraft-ps3-and-xbox-360-edition-sales-pass-the-pc-54-million-total-copies-sold/

54m for Minecraft as of June 2014.

Its easily well over 60m now, considering in January the pocket edition surpassed 30m and the PC version surpasses 18m. That's 48m, thrm add that PS360 versions are around that PC mark. Now add in PS4, XBone and Vita.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
Dr.Vita said:

Please give me a source where you show me that these series sold more than GTA V.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1319680/minecraft-ps3-and-xbox-360-edition-sales-pass-the-pc-54-million-total-copies-sold/

Its easily well over 60m now.

You know that I am only talking about Retail?

Around the Network
Dr.Vita said:
Tetris is a game series, it isn't only one game (Tetris Plus, Tetris DS, Tetris Worlds)! 

And a huge part of 170M copies sold should be digital (considering that Tetris is a Free2Play game on Smartphones).

You really don't think it sold over 43m physical copies? It sold 30m on the GB alone. The game has been rereleased a million times.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Dr.Vita said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Still sold more.

I know that isn't easy to accept because is a shit game, but GTA V have sold less than Wii Sport.

Also, games like Super Mario, Minecraft, Tetris, and more have sold more.

GTA V is for sure a beasting, but is not the best seller ever.

Super Mario Bros. -> 46.74 million units 

GBA = 1.43 million

GB = 5.07 million

NES = 40.24 million

Minecraft -> +60 million as of October 2014

"As of October 2014, over 60 million copies had been sold, including 12 million on the Xbox 360 and 18 million on PC, making it the best-selling PC game to date." Wikipedia, 2015 (lol)

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Dr.Vita said:
Euphoria14 said:

You know that I am only talking about Retail?

How convenient, digital doesn't count.

This thread is pointless then. Even strange that in the OP you mention how PC will add sales for GTA. Those don't count.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Skullwaker said:
Dr.Vita said:

You really don't think it sold over 43m physical copies? It sold 30m on the GB alone. The game has been rereleased a million times.

No I don't think so! The original Tetris only released as a Retail on NES and GB.

BraLoD said:
Euphoria14 said:

That's considering digital, GTA 45M is Retail only, we dunno the total numbers, and the thread has Retail in its title.

Then why would OP even bother mentioning GTA PC sales? Just sounds like a thread to say "so and so is top of you exclude this, this, that and these."

I guess this is the usual "PC doesn't count" threads.

No biggie.

Currently playing: