By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it normal to have "microtransactions" in $60 AAA games?

I've never made a microtransaction. I used to buy expansion packs for certain games, but DLC is usually pretty bad value. The only DLC I've ever bought is the GTAIV DLCs, Blood Dragon and Mario Kart 8 DLC. They're the only ones that ever seemed like fair value to me. But microtransactions? Never.

Around the Network

It will eventually become the norm if people keep letting them get away with it.

I'm so glad Nintendo hasn't done this yet! And I hope they never do it either! Only time I'm OK with microtransactions are on f2p or cheap games, like CHEAP. And I don't like paying for online either on consoles.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

DerpSandwich said:
Considering inflation games are cheaper now than they've ever been, so while it might be crappy, yes, it's very much a normal evolution of the industry. They're here to stay and in fact it's only going to get worse.

they are cheaper now dueto technology becoming cheaper. Cartridges used to be more espensive and so did CDs/DVDs in the earlier stage. Yet they still want 60 bucks full price along DLC and Microtransactions.

You know why microtransactions are there? Because people use them. If people did not use them then they would not be there. That's how business works. Demand propagates supply.

In that respect, the only ones to blame here, if you want to cast blame, are the consumers who indulge in microtransactions. However, those people have as many rights as consumers as anyone else.

I don't see the problem as long as a game does not DEPEND on microtransactions to function correctly. If the game is the same experience for me as if it did not have them to begin with then I'm satisfied. Even better if a lazy rich kid is subsidizing gaming for me by putting more money into developer's pockets.

I think I must be one of the few people who want studios and publishers to make money, so they can keep producing games, so I can keep playing.

Around the Network

Mircrotransactions belong in free to play games not 60$ full priced games.

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

as long as the items can all be obtained in game through simply playing the game its not a problem imo

uncharted 3 multiplayer as you mentioned had micro transactions, for example, however, all of the special guns and hats and so on could still be obtained by simply picking up treasure drops which is how i got them

so it pretty much did not impact upon me at all... i suppose competition may be steeper because your opponenets can get gear more easily but if you are a skillful player it shouldn't really matter much imo

pokoko said:
You know why microtransactions are there? Because people use them. If people did not use them then they would not be there. That's how business works. Demand propagates supply.

In that respect, the only ones to blame here, if you want to cast blame, are the consumers who indulge in microtransactions. However, those people have as many rights as consumers as anyone else.

I don't see the problem as long as a game does not DEPEND on microtransactions to function correctly. If the game is the same experience for me as if it did not have them to begin with then I'm satisfied. Even better if a lazy rich kid is subsidizing gaming for me by putting more money into developer's pockets.

I think I must be one of the few people who want studios and publishers to make money, so they can keep producing games, so I can keep playing.

but what is if people use them because they dont know any other way of gaming anymore? What you think someone will look at gaming in 10 years from now being born when the xbox 360 was launched? Those people wont even know the concept of how games used to be, owning them or playing games with their own skill instead with their wallets. 

They become more while we are getting less and older.

That's the difference between Gears of War 3 and Gears of War: Judgment. Both feature microtransactions. The first one has nothing behind a paywall; you can simply unlock everything by having fun in both the singleplayer and multiplayer component, or speed up the process, if you must (which absolutely does not give you advantage whatsoever when playing against humans). The later, though, is a microtransaction-fest that allows you to cheat with all kind of things, or accessing content that otherwise would be locked forever.

I'm fine with the first model. I completely loathe the second one.

It shouldnt be.. All games become a grind. From battlefield 3 to four it felt like it took a lot longer to unlock. We are being eased into it sadly so no major boycotss take place.