By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Captain Toad as DLC for 3D World would've been better

Do You Agree

Yes, Captain Toad is overpriced 57 26.76%

No, this should be sold full price 116 54.46%

Who cares about this anyway? 40 18.78%

Total:213
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Tootylicious said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
Tootylicious said:
It's already $20 less than normal Wii U titles, that's a lot.

The games length seems to be totally fine, there's many games of that length nowadays.

There's many games that are 6 and a half hrs?

I thought it'd take more around 10 hours?
Well, the Uncharted games, Tomb Raider, Bayonetta, any CoD/Battlefield if you're not into Multiplayer, DmC, Metal Gear Rising

Going by this site http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=19217 its 6 and a half hrs.  If u wanna do everything like get the collectables I guess its 10, but the story is 6 and a half.

Non of the Uncharted games are that short, neither is Tomb Raider.  You said it, cod and battlefield also have multiplayer.  DMC reboot is 9 hrs.  Metal Gear Rising is about the same length.

Going by that site, the Uncharted games take 9,11,9,10 hours to complete the main story.
And I am much more inclined to 100% a game whose major reason to purchase is not the story.

There's tens of thousands of people who will play CoD or Battleflield because of the singleplayer campaign. They just play it through in one rush and that's it. They'll never touch the multiplayer part.

I'm not saying that Captain Toad couldn't have more levels, but it is in that range of games that you can finish in one weekend. Take into account that it costs 2/3 of most of the games mentioned and there's no need to criticize the game for its length when other big AAA titles do the same.

Around the Network

You guys complain about 40$, here in Sweden the game costs about 64$, full price games are 76$. :( Still getting the game though.

I think Captain Toad gets better attention when released like this. Don't think you can advertise a DLC the same way, and it's harder for parents to pick up for their kids too.

So you think Nintendo should restrict Captain Toad to the 3 million people that own 3D World, instead of releasing it for the 8.2 million install base?

curl-6 said:
daredevil.shark said:
I agree with OP. Nintendo made this game as a filler game to make quick cash. Its unfortunate that Nintendo is milking its most loyal fans by every possible means.

Yeah, like how they "remastered" year-old Wii games on Wii U ... :p

And boom goes the dynamite.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

$40 is offensively overpriced for that game. $20 is ideal. Anything more is frankly a ripoff.

Around the Network

I'd rather it was stand alone... but with an even cheaper price... Or better still a bit more ambishous but released a year later.

The game feels like low key assortment of very well designed levels... but not really tied together in any meaningful way. Why are we collecting the stars? It's not like Mario 64 where a least we knew they were the key to certain doors. It seems to be for the sake of it.

TTT is one of the best 3d platform games in recent years. That's because it's a neglected genre. I do love the level design. I just wish they did more with it.

For me, a lot of games that offer a lot of playtime are beaten and forgotten relatively quickly (I skip side quests etc.) and a lot of games that are shorter take a little longer (ie: Bayonetta 2 because I savor the experience).

I remember buying Starfox 64 for like $60 and seeing the end credits about a half our later. For me, it's not about the length. It's the experience. You can pad a game out with filler or you can give me a "pure" experience. I'd prefer the latter because I just don't have the time I used to.

With that said, I haven't played Captain Toad. It's likely to be my next game purchase, though. The game looks great.

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Tootylicious said:
It's already $20 less than normal Wii U titles, that's a lot.

The games length seems to be totally fine, there's many games of that length nowadays.

There's many games that are 6 and a half hrs?

Uncharted 1 I beat it in less than that and Uncharted 2 not much longer than that...

I remember tons of people complaining about the price/length ratio of Limbo.
That was 3h30min for $15. Compared to that this game really is overpriced, even at $40.

The game is short in the way any really good book is 'short', if you really enjoy it when you get to the end you wish it wasn't over just yet.

Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker is great and is appropriately priced, anyone saying otherwise either hasn't played it or has a very strange sense of value, 8-10hrs is plenty. Because it's good, of course I'd like it to be longer so I can enjoy it more and I'd like it to be cheaper so more people can enjoy it like I have. I could say the same for many other good games as well though.

p.s. Your poll is no good, if you don't care to give people reasonable options and want to skew the results to your preferred conclusion, you really shouldn't bother.  i.e. there should be an option to say 'No, the game is priced correctly'.