By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How many of you who mainly game on a Pc can run all games on Ultra @ 1080P/60fps?

I recently bought a new gaming rig (my first actually). Around 17 000 NOK, don't know how much that is in dollars, but the same thing would cost around half in the US. Runs pretty much everything new on Ultra in 60 fps. I "only" have a 1080p screen but it's good enough for me. It's still not what I play the most right now though, that would be Smash on Wii U and Ruby and Sapphire on 3DS, my favourite consoles.

Yep.

Around the Network

I bought a 1400 pounds computer in 2010. I can run all games at 60 fps, 1080p in maximum settings. The only thing that put my computer on its knees was the ubersampling setting in the Witcher 2. I upgraded it 2 year later with a HD7970 that I bought 350 pound.

Take into account I have a 200+ games library on Steam since 2007, and I barely bought full price games on it with all the sales. And full price on PC is much less than full price on console ^^

I'm now going to get another computer in anticipation of tech hungry games like The Witcher 3, Star Citizen, and I'm going to spend 2000 euros on it (because VAT for electronics products in France sucks)

Also, a lot of console only gamers on this site still claim that PC gaming requires a lot of tweaking in term of drivers and so on. It's not the case for me. My biggest problems was tinkering with effing GFWL, because some ignorant asshole at microsoft thought unifying Xbox Live and PC gamers was a good idea. Or looking for Durante's fix for Dark Soul. We're not in 2004 anymore, when Doom 3 was released and the videocard to run it on ultra had not been released yet ^^, or when we all had to change configuration because everybody wanted to play Crysis. Also, the consoles hardware have migrated closer to a PC architecture, and PC games have now much more in common with console games because devs build multiplatform games for production value.

generic-user-1 said:

you said it, most things on, not all.^^

I was tempted to make a thread "How many of you who mainly game on a console can run all games on 1080P/30fps and how much does it cost?" ;)

Conina said:
generic-user-1 said:

you said it, most things on, not all.^^

I was tempted to make a thread "How many of you who mainly game on a console can run all games on 1080P/30fps and how much does it cost?" ;)

there is no console that plays all games with stable 30 fps and 1080p...

That's my point. ;)

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
sc94597 said:
generic-user-1 said:
sc94597 said:
generic-user-1 said:
sc94597 said:
Kerotan said:
Captain_Tom said:
Mr.Playstation said:

Can you play all recent games released at 1080P/60fps with everything on high? If yes, how much money did you spend on your rig?

That's really a silly question.  Most games have a few "Overkill" settings there for those who have Uber rigs or for those who play the game a few years from now.  They really aren't neccessary to get 95% of the graphics quality most of the time.

I will just say this:  To play modern games in 1080p at 60 FPS with High-Ultra settings an $800 or $1000 rig would be fine. 

That price tag is the reason consoles still sell so well. A lot of people need to save up just to buy a 300-400 console.

But for half the price of his PC you can play games at high/ultra 30 fps 1080p. All you need is a $230 r9 280x and you can Max almost any game 1080p  and a solid 30fps. Since the general rule is to spend half the cost of your rig on your GPU that would be about a $550 PC if planned well. In comparison consoles play at medium settings and less than 1080p30fps most of the time. For console level hardware you only need to spend $450.

you can run the most games with 60 fps and a lot better graphic than console with a 280x. if you play with a consolish graphic no game should be a problem to run with 60 fps and 1080p.

Yeah, I was talking about maxing games on ultra though. Games like AC Unity, The Evil Within, Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch Dogs run at about 40 fps maxed on a r9 280x @ 1080p. While any game from last year like Battlefield 4 or Crysis 3 will run at 60fps. That is after optimization though. I considered that somebody just wants to install and play without messing with settings, they'll easily get a locked 30fps on any game, if not more. 

im not sure if any pc can run watchdogs and acu in 60 fps. the games are just to broken. and crisis 3 dont run in 60 fps on ultra, just 40 fps in benchmarks.

Well not a locked 60 fps, but Crysis 3 can stay up there a lot of the time. With v-sync this is no problem. 

Here's an r9 280x 1080p vs. 1440p with very high settings on most things. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEOJEEbN3LU

you said it, most things on, not all.^^ but who cares? even high looks better than ps4 in most games and runs butter smoth on a r280x or 270x

Well yeah, unless somebody buys the few top end GPU's and/or slis/crossfires mid-ranged ones they aren't going to be able to put all the sliders up and check all the boxes and run 60 fps no worries. But like you said, there is a lot in between that extreme and console performance. And it doesn't scale with price linearly, is my point. There are diminishing performance returns for each dollar spent above a certain GPU. In my opinion, the marginal cost above a 280x/290 is too high, and it gets higher with each next card. 

Btw, I have also a PS3 and a Wii, loading times are really too long compared to my PC with Steam on a dedicated SSD.

The worst was when I bought MGS4. When I popped the disk in, I had to wait something like two hours between PS3 update and game update. This was soooo boring. I remember the Wii's loading time in MH3 being quite long. I remember the jump between cartridge and disc during PS1 time that really put me off console gaming ^^

Conina said:
Captain_Tom said:

P.S.  Get an R9 290 over a 970.  It is the same performance for 20% less...

When I bought my GTX 970 for €290 (taxes + shipping included) directly at launch, it was cheaper than ANY available R9 290... even the cheapest 290s with the unbearably loud standard fan.

AMD had to slash its profit margin since then and lower the prices for the 280 and 290 models due to the lower demand. IMHO the GTX970 is still the better deal than a R9 290 or R9 290X... more VRAM, less power consumption, less heat to exhaust.

And the performance depends totally on individual games and settings... in most games, the 970 is between 290 and 290x, in some games/settings slower than a 290 and in some games way faster than a 290x.

It is never WAY faster than the 290X.  But yeah I don't really care why it is cheaper, only that it is.  Practically every recent game that has come out since the 970's launch has shown the 290 winning just as often as losing, if not more often.

P.S.  Yeah they had to lower the price on the 290, but it was a one year old card that had not seen a price drop yet!!!  The 970 is nothing special considering its competion is old hardware.

I will be able to do Ultra soon when I get Geforce 970 or 960.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Captain_Tom said:
Conina said:
Captain_Tom said:

P.S.  Get an R9 290 over a 970.  It is the same performance for 20% less...

And the performance depends totally on individual games and settings... in most games, the 970 is between 290 and 290x, in some games/settings slower than a 290 and in some games way faster than a 290x.

It is never WAY faster than the 290X. 

Never say never ;)

And yes, those Benchmarks are cherrypicked.