By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How many of you who mainly game on a Pc can run all games on Ultra @ 1080P/60fps?

Give me 1K$ and I make you a desktop that can do that

Im a pro console gamer myself, but I dont see the reason why you constantly try and downplay the merits of a PC. With that money I have a gaming rig, a media center and a work station all in one. Always keep that in mind

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Landguy said:
Kerotan said:
Landguy said:
I just got an MSI Dragon Edition Gaming laptop about a week ago that has a 980 with 8gb in it. I have tried quite a few games and it plays them in ultra at 60fps or better and 1080p.

I haven't bought any games that are available on consoles yet. I have also played a bit of WOW on a 10 day free pass and have been a little surprised that the graphics in ultra look so much better. I have been very pleased to finally have a computer that can play games at a high level.

How much did that cost and how many years should it play games at ultra?

$2,400 for the laptop.    How long?  Don't know, but I would guess at least a year or 2.  And after that, It will play games at a high level.  I usually get 3 years out of a laptop, and then hand it down to one of my kids.  So it will get plenty of life out of it.  

you see that sort of price tag puts a lot of people off. i understand you can get ps4 quality set ups for 600$ but you're going to feel very left out when pc threads have people showing off games running 3 or 4 times better than you. 

Well, this is my my first gaming laptop.  I am already more than impressed with how fast Everything happens on it.  I don't need to have the "best" performance, as I use it as a laptop only.  I don't hook it up to high end monitors, so the 1080p display that it has will be what it is.  I just replaced a 5 year old Sony Vaio that couldn't play a game for shit even when I bought it.  

As far as the price being bad goes, I don't think that it puts off anyone who wants to game on a laptop.  You have to decide up front and live with it.  It has an i7 4870HQ processor and 24 gigs of ram.  I think that it will last 2-3 years before I get the old PC envy.  

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:

Well, this is my my first gaming laptop.  I am already more than impressed with how fast Everything happens on it.  I don't need to have the "best" performance, as I use it as a laptop only.  I don't hook it up to high end monitors, so the 1080p display that it has will be what it is.  I just replaced a 5 year old Sony Vaio that couldn't play a game for shit even when I bought it.  

As far as the price being bad goes, I don't think that it puts off anyone who wants to game on a laptop.  You have to decide up front and live with it.  It has an i7 4870HQ processor and 24 gigs of ram.  I think that it will last 2-3 years before I get the old PC envy.  

if people can afford your laptop they will be more than happy. i meant if you bought a 600$  pc to rival a ps4 for a similar price. 

This is my current PC.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ofrm1/saved/9fMmP6

A couple things aren't correct. I actually have a Fractal Design Define R3 Silver Arrow, but they don't offer that case on pcpartpicker. It was around $100. The ram probably had a CAS latency of 11, rather than the 9 that I picked there, and the power supply was cheaper because it was Gold rated, rather than Platinum rated, but still a Corsair AX 860.

Overall, pretty modest computer. All games run at 1080/60. When the newer games with crappy optimization start coming out, I'll probably get another 290 vapor-x and crossfire, considering the new 380 will be out, the price should drop down even more.

As far as $2400 for a laptop putting people off, that's a pure enthusiast-grade price. If you want a cheaper gaming laptop, you can get the ASUS ROG G7551 at Newegg right now for $1500. $1750 for one with a 256GB SSD. Add a $100 2-year warranty on that and you're at either $1600 or $1850. Either way, for an enthusiast-grade laptop laptop that will run you 1080p 60fps at ultra for 4-6 years, that's a really good price.

Lawlight said:
So, do people who game on PCs and have desktops also buy a laptop?

Only because I got a laptop as a gift a few years back. I'm transitioning to high-end desktops for scientific computing (physics major) and gaming with a tablet and smartphone to suit my portable computing needs (the tablets being under $200 Android tablets.) It fills in gaps only  having a simarly priced laptop would not. 

Around the Network

Definitely not me.

Some water-soluble hydroplosion got in my computer :/

Last time i played Rage at 1080/60fps, i don't remember how much i spent, i know my PC spec before i sold it, hmm... It was i7 2600, 8gb RAM & GTX 560 TI. 2 months later, i sold my PC & that was back in late 2011.... Bravo Epic, id & Valve...

Nope, the most I can get is 1080p/30fps if I want to run a game like Alan Wake or Witcher 2 on Ultra.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
16 GB Ram
Intel core i5-3570K

I'll be honest, I'm a noob when it comes to PC gaming and specs, I still prefer to game on consoles (cause of Gamefly). I just play indies and old PC titles I missed out on.

I'll be honest now, It was kind of nice to play Alan Wake and Witcher 2 at 1080p/60fps on High. (Missed out on these games cause I only own PS and Ninty consoles)

sc94597 said:
Lawlight said:
So, do people who game on PCs and have desktops also buy a laptop?

Only because I got a laptop as a gift a few years back. I'm transitioning to high-end desktops for scientific computing (physics major) and gaming with a tablet and smartphone to suit my portable computing needs (the tablets being under $200 Android tablets.) It fills in gaps only  having a simarly priced laptop would not. 

Your situation makes sense but, in most cases, it doesn't make sense to have a desktop without a laptop.

If I had an I7 and a 980 I could play most games at 1080P / 60 FPS.