By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - For what purpose will you buy Mario maker?

Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:
Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:
Making the most impossible levels in Mario history. Nah, that's stupid. I was thinking remaking SMB with NSMBU's graphics. But someone will before I do. I wonder how Nintendo's gonna handle level creation though. There has to be a size limit and all sorts of limitations that prevent creators from devaluing the next 2D Mario games.

We're getting 3 2D games next year. Let's hope Nintendo knows that this is ENOUGH. Release some 3D games, it's 2014! 

I wouldn't be surprised if all the new 2D Mario games came with this level editor from now on. And why not? All the hard work will be done with Mario Maker, they'd just need to fine tune it and add some new graphical styles with each new game. 

What do you mean?

3D: Zelda, Starfox, Splatoon, Xenoblade X

2D: Kirby RC, Mario Maker, Yoshi WW, am I missing something?

You'd expect that the vast majority of games on a HOME CONSOLE these days would be in 3D.

I love DKC: TF and will get Yoshi's Woolly World, but the rest looks like shovelware to me. 

3D and 2D both have followings in the gaming world. SImply phasing out a certain style would be ludicrous. Zelda...shovelware? Each game that I've listed, I'm sure they're giving it 101% on the development.

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:

3D and 2D both have followings in the gaming world. SImply phasing out a certain style would be ludicrous. Zelda...shovelware? Each game that I've listed, I'm sure they're giving it 101% on the development.

There hasn't been a good 2D Mario since Super Mario World 2.

And where did I call Zelda shovelware? That game isn't 2D. Top down Zelda (ALBW) even uses 3D models lol. I'm obviously calling them out on their lazy 2D side scrollers (basically every NSMB). Not top down Zelda games. 

Kirby also looks lame. Won't sell wel either. 

I will not buy it since I don't own a WiiU. If I would, probably to let my creative side go absolutely ape shit crazy.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:

And where did I call Zelda shovelware? That game isn't 2D. Top down Zelda (ALBW) even uses 3D models lol. I'm obviously calling them out on their lazy 2D side scrollers (basically every NSMB). Not top down Zelda games. 

Oh, 2D games. But Super Mario Bros. Wii/DS were great. It's just that whatever we grew up on, is always the best because our minds were easily amazed.
Yeah, kirby won't do well but they're putting great amounts of effort into it like they always do. I guess that since I'm an artist/designer my goal in games is to find things that haven't been done before or stand out. Like Kirby, it doesn't look like much fun but the design style is notable.

Ljink96 said:
Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:

Oh, 2D games. But Super Mario Bros. Wii/DS were great. It's just that whatever we grew up on, is always the best because our minds were easily amazed.

Nah, I only grew up with Super Mario Land 1 & 2. I think 1 sucks and 2 is pretty good. I like it because it's so different to normal Mario 2D platformers. Mario's main enemy will always be Wario to me. :)  

I hate the NSMB art style. 

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:
Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:

Nah, I only grew up with Super Mario Land 1 & 2. I think 1 sucks and 2 is pretty good. I like it because it's so different to normal Mario 2D platformers. 

I hate the NSMB art style. 

Wait you grew up with Super Mario Land 1+2? Miyamoto didn't even work on those. Yeah, they're different but not Mario. I hate the NSMB art style too but when playing with friends/cousins/idiots I've come to overlook it and just enjoy the game.

Samus Aran said:
Ljink96 said:

Kirby also looks lame. Won't sell wel either. 

Hey Samus...I always like to hear your input, since you're obviously a "newer" Nintendo fan.  What could Nintendo have done to make Super Mario Wii or Super Mario WiiU "good" titles?  

I'll buy because I love retro Mario and can't wait to see all the crazy levels people will come up with!

Ljink96 said:

Wait you grew up with Super Mario Land 1+2? Miyamoto didn't even work on those. Yeah, they're different but not Mario. I hate the NSMB art style too but when playing with friends/cousins/idiots I've come to overlook it and just enjoy the game.

Super Mario Land 2 is the best 2D Mario game for me lol. 

And my parents never bought me a console until the GC. I grew up with the gameboy during the Pokémon hype. 

This is something I have wanted for over 20 years. I love making worlds. Mario Maker is a dream.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.