By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Okay. I admit it. The Last of Us is F'n Graeat.

Burek said:
d21lewis said:

Last time I played and Tess and Ellie got seperated from me in some old museum.  I saved them and then I turned the game off, never to play again.  This time, I kept playing.  Righta after that, the game just clicked.

The first time I played (on PS3) I got a little bit farther (the hotel), but then I just couldn't take it anymore, I was bored out of my mind.

So I finally forced myself to pick it up again on PS4, so I had to endure that whole section again, and then I got past it and.......I can't remember the last time I was praying for the game to be over. I forced myself not to quit it again, finally managed to stay awake all the way to the end and deleted it instantly.

Nothing inherently wrong with the game, the story is OK, the characters are OK, technical aspects are great, it is just so....flat! It just seems stuck in second gear, it never gets more interesting, doesn't introduce more challenging enemies, you've seen them all in the first few hours.

I understand people like it and love it, that's OK, tastes differ. I just know that if they ever make TLOU2, there is no way I'll be subjecting myself to that torture again.

I will be FULLY subjecting myself to that torture when The Last Of Us 2 comes out.

Can't wait for that bad boy to come out. The 1st time I played it, I thought it was alright because I was constantly expecting it to be Uncharted. After I played it again and without the expectations of anything, I started realizing why everybody  was calling it a masterpiece. I dont personally feel comfortable calling it a masterpiece myself right now though (The only game I EVER felt comfortable calling a masterpiece was Metroid Prime).

Out of all the games I've played on the Wii, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, I can't think of ANY game that I would say is "better" than the last of us. I also can't really think of a story that had "better" story telling than The Last Of Us either. The characters were damn near UNMATCHED and top notch. I personally can't think of a SINGLE game that had "better" character development than The Last Of Us. I also can't think of a game out there where I can say that I cared or felt some type of connection with the characters more than I did in The Last Of Us.

About the praying for the game to be over thing.. ive done that a few times with some popular games that didn't click with me for some reason like Bioshock, Infamous 1, Resistance 2, Halo 3, etc. I know they're all good games in their own right but they just didn't click with me the same as you said. So I feel your pain there lol.

Uncharted 4 is slightly looking more like The Last Of Us with its interactions, and listen mode thingy and that shit makes me want to play this new Uncharted so damn bad among other things. I also can't wait for The Last Of Us 2. I'm ready for that torture!

Around the Network

Didnt have it on PS3 but I bought the remaster and I'm liking it.
I think I ruined it by being tempted into watching the first chapter ages ago when it first came out. But im still early into it and know it must get significantly better since it did better than uncharted.

Its a game that I'd play on a sunday, not one that I can get into right after work.

I made a bit of noise and the next thing I know, 3 clickers run towards me and take me down.... this game is going to take a lot of patience.

I f'n loved it! The multiplayer is so awesome as well!

Welcome to the dark side.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

TLOU is good and enjoyable, but it's not the second coming of Christ some users have made it out to be!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
AZWification said:

TLOU is good and enjoyable, but it's not the second coming of Christ some users have made it out to be!

The second coming of Christ has nothing on The Last of Us. 

I haven't completed it either. I doesn't grip me enough to want to play through it in one streak. I just escaped the city with the black man and son.

It's a good game, sure, with a very refined way of story-telling, characterization and presentation. Beautiful really, but it's gameplay is sorely lacking. It's overly simple and mechanics are sluggish. Move a plank here and there, climb it, rinse and repeat. Melee combat feels slow and imprecise. I get why they designed it that way, but it just isn't working for me. The Uncharted series is way better in that regard. The game is supposed to be all about stealth, but by now I have so many bullets I can just shoot my way through. Just stand in a corner somewhere and fire a shot, wait for every enemy to come rushing in mindlessly and kill them off one by one. This is an AI problem, but not the only one. Enemies don't seem to react to Ellie or other allies. I've seen multiple instances when they just literally run into Ellie, but don't react to her being there (she's stupid to be so out in the open anyway but that's beside the point) or even see her. Not until I myself pop my head from behind a counter do they react.

I think it's one of the weaker games in Naughty Dog's portfolio, and I don't get the huge praise it gets. The Uncharted soon-to-be-quadrilogy is just better in practically every way. I'll beat The Last of Us some day it just isn't in any hurry. It's unlikely I would buy a sequel.

So basically I like it for it's story and presentation, but not for it's simple gameplay and lower level of 'fun', which are the most important parts of any game. Couldn't resist a little rant, even though I know this game's somehow impervious to criticism here on VGC and I'll get flak for it.

Fusioncode said:
AZWification said:

Maybe if you are an atheist, yes!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
Fusioncode said:
AZWification said:

Maybe if you are an atheist, yes!

I believe in Shu. 

Its a good game and ive just got to the winter bit in hills but then i got gta5 on ps4 too ( i avoided bith games on last gen waited until i got ps4 was sooo tempting to buy them on ps3 cheap but i resisted) l. Now i have gta5 tlou is relegated to back off cupboard

)