By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 will sell more in its first year than PS3 in its peak year

Dusk said:
Turkish said:
Just wait when it's 299 next year... it's gonna sell even more.

What makes you think it's going to drop to 299 next year? Maybe near the end of the year to try to boost sales if it's necessary (meaning if sales slow down), but Sony can't afford to throw away too much money on consoles, their software sales haven't been as good as they were hoping. Well, the entire industries software sales have been down.

bolded: Says who?

Also at the end of 2015 the PS4 might well be cheap enough to produce to not lose money on it when selling it for $300.

Around the Network
Dusk said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the PS4's peak year. Sony has hyped the hell out of it and it has worked. More hyped than any other console so far. Unfortunately much of the hype has been about the power of the system but little on the games. People were clamouring for it. I don't think this momentum can really keep up. It's still going to sell well, but not to the same extent as where the bar has been set for it. It'll be down YOY, the hype is fading and many of the games haven't come out yet or have been pushed back farther and farther. 

It wouldn't make sense. Next year it will have a better library and maybe even a price cut in the holidays at least in the US. I would take a bet that 2015 > 2014 for the PS4 any day.

DerNebel said:
Dusk said:
Turkish said:

What makes you think it's going to drop to 299 next year? Maybe near the end of the year to try to boost sales if it's necessary (meaning if sales slow down), but Sony can't afford to throw away too much money on consoles, their software sales haven't been as good as they were hoping. Well, the entire industries software sales have been down.

bolded: Says who?

Also at the end of 2015 the PS4 might well be cheap enough to produce to not lose money on it when selling it for $300.

just the 3 four million sellers, 5 three million sellers, 12 two million sellers, the 22 one million sellers, and the 66 million retail games sold resulting in an approximatly 4:1 tie ratio. of course, all this is without digital sales, DLC sales and revenue from microtransactions from the F2P games. 

Dusk said:

That's not what I said. You are inferring that. All I'm saying is that it seems that the sales have started slowing down, that's a hell of a lot different than peaked lol. 

Actually here in Canada (where I'm from), the prices for the PS4 are far better than the X1, but there are some good X1 bundles with multiple games, but they are usually about $50 more than a comparable PS4 bundle. 

I agree about Europe, not sure about Japan, they seem so handheld-centric. 

Sure patterns are good, grand, wonderful and all, but that doesn't mean there aren't one offs. I'm not trying to be pessemistic, the PS4 has had a great year and next will likely be good as well, I just think it won't be as high, that doesn't mean it will stop selling. 

so you're not saying it's peaked...but you just said next year won't be as high.  Are you optimistic about the 3rd year then?

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Dusk said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Dusk said:
vivster said:
So PS4 peaked early.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the PS4's peak year. Sony has hyped the hell out of it and it has worked. More hyped than any other console so far. Unfortunately much of the hype has been about the power of the system but little on the games. People were clamouring for it. I don't think this momentum can really keep up. It's still going to sell well, but not to the same extent as where the bar has been set for it. It'll be down YOY, the hype is fading and many of the games haven't come out yet or have been pushed back farther and farther. 

No way its first year is going to be its peak year. That's almost unheard of in video game console history. As far as I know, it only happened to GameCube and PS4 ain't no GameCube.

With more software, a price cut and more people that have friends with PS4s, it's guaranteed to be up YoY.

I'm willing to bet on it if you want.

What's your point? It has nothing to do with a comparison between consoles, it has to do with the market, marketing, saturation, hype and games.

From some of the people I know that own PS4's, the more I hear that they aren't that happy with them because it's much of the same as PS3 just with less games. They weren't impressed with rereleases of games like GTAV and TLOU because they already had them on their PS3's, they enjoy shooters but for the most part don't like Destiny, so it's back to the same games with COD, AC, BF4 ect. I know a few Sony fans that are waiting for some Japanese RPG's to be released before they think about picking up the PS4 as well. 

From what I have seen on here, the betting thing is kinda redonk, I'm gonna pass. But if I'm wrong, then that's fine. Although with how oddly successful the PS4 has been this year, especially when we keep hearing that the console market is shrinking, it could still be it's best year. Only time will tell. 

Your anecdote doesnt prove anything. These are facts:

1.) PS4 is the only console so far without a single price drop

2.) Unlike the competition, not a single heavy hitter exclusive has been released on the console yet

3.) Japanese sales have yet to take off in the following years with the proper games for the japanese audience

Around the Network
Dusk said:
Turkish said:

What makes you think Sony can't afford to lower the price to 299 next year? Do you seriously think consoles dont become cheaper to manufacture?

What makes you think their software sales havent been as good? Go check how many million sellers there are on the platform, and this is without the unranked digital sales which are much bigger this gen.

Turkish said:
Dusk said:
Turkish said:

What makes you think Sony can't afford to lower the price to 299 next year? Do you seriously think consoles dont become cheaper to manufacture?

What makes you think their software sales havent been as good? Go check how many million sellers there are on the platform, and this is without the unranked digital sales which are much bigger this gen.

they need a something big to cut 100$ like a ps4 slim. the chips will not become cheaper so much on its own.

Turkish said:
Dusk said:
Turkish said:

You know that since PS3 costing almost 900 to make and selling it for 600 racking a pure lost of 300 (per unit) but even though cutting the price within 2 years of launch definetely rule out the possibility of Sony cutting 100 while that would probably mean 30-50 lost per console.... logic in VGC is always strong.

If someone reasons that it isn't in the best interest of Sony to cut the price and lose money on HW maybe he could be right, but to say they can't afford is wrong... Sony will cut the price when demand isn't matching their expectation/producing capacity and they analyse and see they can make more money selling more at loss to have more SW sold (growing marketshare, then SW and PS+ being more important than profit on HW). But if they keep selling close to their inventory level at current price they will hold out... that is the main reason X360 and PS3 stoped dropping in price after some time, they saw there wouldn't be enough gain in marketshare to justify the lost revenue in HW.

But some users will always go to the "MS can afford to sell the console for 100 to pass PS4 (losing 300-400 per console)" and/or "Sony can't afford a 50 price cut (breaking even at the moment)", like if MS is a charity or ruled by fanboys or as if Sony is so broken they can't take some millions hit to recoup with more profits if that is their plan.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

PS4 this year will break 17M...
This VGChartz undertracked are just ridiculus.

OT: Above PS2 (16M) and the Wii (16.5M)

Why don't you all just ignore Dusk? ..