By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 will sell more in its first year than PS3 in its peak year

Troll_Whisperer said:
binary solo said:

So that suggests the yearly sales charts never get adjusted, which is disappointing as this means there is redundant information here, including all the software numbers. E.g. for 2011 you can see that CoD:MW3 has 12.5 and 10.3 million on the yearly chart. But using the game comparison tool it shows 11.5M and 9.6M. The game pages match the game comparison graphs.

Oh well, that makes the yearly sales chart completely useless as a quick and easy reference if there are adjustments made. They might as well remove them if they are not kept up to date.

That's VGC for you. I remember the weekly sales articles having wrong cumulative sales for months on end, despite me and others saying in the comments that they should be fixed. I don't think they ever did correct them.

Whenever in doubt trust MS shipped numbers to be within 500k of total sold and Sony sold true as possible untruth numbers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
Dusk said:
DonFerrari said:
Dusk said:
Turkish said:
Dusk said:

What makes you think it's going to drop to 299 next year? Maybe near the end of the year to try to boost sales if it's necessary (meaning if sales slow down), but Sony can't afford to throw away too much money on consoles, their software sales haven't been as good as they were hoping. Well, the entire industries software sales have been down.

What makes you think Sony can't afford to lower the price to 299 next year? Do you seriously think consoles dont become cheaper to manufacture?

What makes you think their software sales havent been as good? Go check how many million sellers there are on the platform, and this is without the unranked digital sales which are much bigger this gen.

They are still loosing money on each console sold right now, with how well it has been selling, unless they need the boost in sales again why would they take more of a cut? Please don't assume to know what I know, I never said that consoles don't become cheaper to manufacture over time. 

Software sales have been down YOY from everything I have read, add that to the rising cost of game development and it seems like a fairly educated guess. Perhaps I should say the profits from the games though as opposed to my prior stance. I do wonder how well the digital sales are doing on the new platforms with the increasing size of the games though, 40GB can be quite a lot for many people with limited bandwidth. Likely the best case scenario is that sales YOY are roughly the same with digital sales included. 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-11-14-up-to-25-percent-of-ps4-xbox-one-game-sales-are-digital-analyst

DO a little research before downplaying and bashing... Sony already confirmed they had a little profit with each HW like 6 months ago (in launch the sale of 2 games or 1 game and PS+ already made profit) So by next year holidays 50 off will still be profitable and 100 will need some games sold to profit... And as discussed before Sony took 300 loss per console during PS3 launch, so don't base Sony willingness or capacity to pricecut on your perceived notion of loss and Sony financial situation.

Before the price drop. That is why they were able to drop the price. It's normal business tactics dude. Sony screwed themselves on the massive losses they took with the PS3 when it was released. Sony is also in a much worse financial situation than they were at that point in time, it would not only be irresponsible for the business to take massive losses on the console, but it would also be crazy. 

What price drop? PS4 standard price is still 400$ And they did confirm making money off each console sold like months ago and thats not counting the PS+ subscription which most people will buy as well

Yeah, I already covered that in a later reply, to you...

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.