By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GameSpot tried to build a Pc which costs around the same as a console.

sc94597 said:

You mentioned thar the PC wont have Xbone or PS4 exclusives. Well the same argument can be made for the Xbone/ps4 with regards to Pc, but also with regards to eachother. An xbone doesn't have PS4 exclusives nor does a PS4 have Xbone exclusives.

How many times can I say it. I don't care. As much as PC snobs like to promote the idea that you can buy a PC for the same price as a console, they always completely miss the whole point in wanting a console. If I wanted PC exclusives, I'd buy a PC. I'm sure people who do that always go for the cheapest PC ... no? It's absolutely nonsensical. Why put a PC together for the same price as a console when you can't play the console exclusives? There's no point. It's just some strange and utterly bizarre thinking.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Chazore said:

Way to be civil.

If going by your logic we shouldn't mention anything enar console exclusives, if you were to then the PC list would have to come out which would factually trump the current gen offerings along with last gen and the ports that came over inbetween both.

If you're so sick and tired and hate PC then why are you in a thread that's entire subject started with a PC build which is mainly mroe about the PC than the console?, it seems highly illogical for you to even warrant being here if you've no actual input that doesn't revolve around claiming your hate for one platform and calling someone weird.

But it's pointless and stupid. People buy consoles because they like to play on their TVs and like the exclusives. Why would you build a PC that matches a console? WHY? I'm sat here absolutely bewildered at the sheer stupidity of this article and those that have gone before it. You build a PC to play PC games at the best possible performance. Building a PC to compete with consoles price wise makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Oh great, now I can play PC games at a lower resolution and with lower framerates ... SEE, we can complete with consoles.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
I've never understood this. Do people think that if you build it the Sony/MS exclusives will come?

You mean former console-only games like Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Gears of War, Halo 1 + 2, Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Condemned, Resident Evil 5, Brütal Legend, Darksiders, Enslaved, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Street Fighter 4, Final Fantasy XIII, the Saints-Row-serie, the Oddworld-games...?

No, these games and IPs will stay exclusive to consoles forever ;)

Conina said:
GribbleGrunger said:
I've never understood this. Do people think that if you build it the Sony/MS exclusives will come?

You mean former console-only games like Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Gears of War, Halo 1 + 2, Fable, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Condemned, Resident Evil 5, Brütal Legend, Darksiders, Enslaved, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Street Fighter 4, Final Fantasy XIII, the Saints-Row-serie, the Oddworld-games...?

No, these games and IPs will stay exclusive to consoles forever ;)

That's not the point. I do not understand these articles showing how you can build a PC for the same price as a console when those cheaper PC will never play games exclusive to consoles. Even if you can throw a PC together for £10 it will never play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Infamous or The Order. THAT'S why people buy consoles.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
sc94597 said:

You mentioned thar the PC wont have Xbone or PS4 exclusives. Well the same argument can be made for the Xbone/ps4 with regards to Pc, but also with regards to eachother. An xbone doesn't have PS4 exclusives nor does a PS4 have Xbone exclusives.

How many times can I say it. I don't care. As much as PC snobs like to promote the idea that you can buy a PC for the same price as a console, they always completely miss the whole point in wanting a console. If I wanted PC exclusives, I'd buy a PC. I'm sure people who do that always go for the cheapest PC ... no? It's absolutely nonsensical. Why put a PC together for the same price as a console when you can't play the console exclusives? There's no point. It's just some strange and utterly bizarre thinking.

Because there exist people who don't want console exclusives as much as you do. You aren't the only type of console gamer. There are also people who might enjoy PC exclusives more, and have distanced themselves from PC gaming because of myths they've heard. People don't just buy consoles because they prefer the exclusives. Otherwise there would be no point in an Xbone gamer trying to persuade a PS4 gamer to choose an Xbone instead, or vice-versa. 

Around the Network
RepedeGoesWoof said:

This really has nothing to do with what we're discussing or arguing for that fact, but I'm going to go ahead and refute some of your claims.

1) PCs do not "demand" maintenance. Once you build it, you're set until you decide to upgrade the parts years down the road. If it does indeed break down, then replacing a part generally suffices in fixing it.

2) Yes, we understand people who don't possess a comprehensive knowledge on gaming would probably just go to a store to purchase a console. That's why that market exists, but sticking to the assumption we game as a hobby (which I'm sure all of us do on this site), then this argument has gaming enthusiasts in mind.

3) This has nothing to do with being "socially aware."

We shouldn't have to "learn to deal with it." I think it's fair to demand a quality product, and we shouldn't have to settle for whatever the market gives us either.

I know what the topic  is and I responding to what I heard from like Mohammadbadir. Just a response, nothing serious, but it does represent something that I've spoken to a lot of PC gamers about and seems to frustrate them.

1) PC's do demand maintenance. Virus protection, sometimes technician maintenance (For those who don't know how to fix things themselves: IE: Cleaning ups, Disk Defrag) upgrades, the works. On PC its product upkeep > games when were talking about actual gamers...not casuals who do not even care to even have medium specs on their PC's. 

http://www.itconsultingnj.com/pc-replacement-cycle-is-it-time-for-a-new-computer

"Gartner Research conducted a study of 177 large businesses and discovered that the average life span of a desktop PC is 43 months, and only 36 months for mobile PCs. More than a third of respondents claimed the main reason for PC replacement is to improve user productivity, while more than a quarter cited escalating support costs with older machines. More than 20% said new software requirements led to the need for new computing systems."  

This leaves the average PC replacement time at a little over 3.5 years. Consoles have a six to ten year lifespan and the majority of the money for multiplats that PC gamers enjoy come from consoles. If we align this with the average time  that comes with a new PC replacements, new parts, games and other things will come into the pictures. Once newly turned PC  they've upgraded from consoles to PC and get used to PC it tends to use benchmarks as a key to follow for optimum response. I've also noticed from a lot of PC/console gamers on youtube is that even though they boast its obvious they have a higher ability to understand frames than console gamers, so they invest to make sure their PC is at peak performance. They become very critical about it and if you want me to show you a couple videos where that is the case I would be pleased to show you. Average joe gamers don't care about that, its games > console for them. Consoles are simpler to use, plain and simple. Not much thinking needs to be done to control it.

2) You can sell a PC to a gaming enthusiast, but once he enters that world and begins to understand it, remaining complacement will not do. You know it and I know it. Remember we're dealing with a spectrum of knowledge. Its not just something you can point your finger at and say "Thats it". Even some console gaming enthusiasts just want to focus on games and don't believe its n their best interest to upgrade. Also, yes...it is a social misunderstanding...hence why PC gamers call themselves even jokingly "The master race"....and yet look who is paying for the majority of the multiplats they play. One party is talking, the other party is buying.

3) It has a lot to do with being socially aware. If you know better...with great power of knowledge comes responsibility and the most we can do is let people know and if they dont accept the knowledge and move on to the next. More often than not most people wont care to understand the developed nature of some things. This goes for many thigs like music, art, building, mathematics, science and more. Everythig that has a profession (which demands learning) or form of connosuier taste has a majority of people who only look at it from the most basic of perspectives. The reason I said this is a social misunderstanding, because I pay attention to the behavior of markets. No matter which way you slice it....its social. Its because of social awareness that they key understanding of sales in general becomes a science in itself. This is how we know to make projections and forecasts.

PC is for those who understand the possibilities and also the drawbacks and vice versa for consoles. Its a majority vs minority way of thinking.

GribbleGrunger said:

That's not the point. I do not understand these articles showing how you can build a PC for the same price as a console when those cheaper PC will never play games exclusive to consoles. Even if you can throw a PC together for £10 it will never play Uncharted, Bloodborne, Driveclub, Infamous or The Order. THAT'S why people buy consoles.

And if you ONLY buy a PS4 it will never play Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Civilization 5 and Star Citizen.

You need several systems anyway if you don't want to miss out on most exclusives... so why shouldn't a decent PC not be one of them, which has its own exclusives and can deliver the best quality of all the multiplatform games? 8th generation games as well as older games (7th and 6th generation games) in extremely high quality settings.

sc94597 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Weird, weird weird. Who the the hell cares what exclusives the PC has? Stuff PC. I'm not interested in PC. I'm sick and tired of PC. This is an article about putting a PC together to compete with consoles. Are you with me yet?

Outside of Far Cry, Portal, Battlfield and the WItcher....what PC games that came to console has console gamers truly been clamouring for as of late? I've heard more PC people making statements for console exclusivity than ever anyone bragging about PC exclusives. This is why a lot of PC gamers who value console gaming above all else have a secondary console so they can enjoy the exclusives. Not saying that no one has been talking about PC exclusives, but the way the marketing goes the masses will notice a console game before they will ever hear about a PC game unless its WOW.

GribbleGrunger said:
Chazore said:

Way to be civil.

If going by your logic we shouldn't mention anything enar console exclusives, if you were to then the PC list would have to come out which would factually trump the current gen offerings along with last gen and the ports that came over inbetween both.

If you're so sick and tired and hate PC then why are you in a thread that's entire subject started with a PC build which is mainly mroe about the PC than the console?, it seems highly illogical for you to even warrant being here if you've no actual input that doesn't revolve around claiming your hate for one platform and calling someone weird.

But it's pointless and stupid. People buy consoles because they like to play on their TVs and like the exclusives. Why would you build a PC that matches a console? WHY? I'm sat here absolutely bewildered at the sheer stupidity of this article and those that have gone before it. You build a PC to play PC games at the best possible performance. Building a PC to compete with consoles price wise makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Oh great, now I can play PC games at a lower resolution and with lower framerates ... SEE, we can complete with consoles.

Well I'll tell you why I built a PC that is moderately better than a PS4 at $500 instead of buying a PS4. 

1. I can modify my games. 

2. I can have the exact resolution/framerate I want. 

3. I can play on any media device I want. I happen to be a transient college student without my own Television, it is nice to use the family television as well as my cheap and portable monitor. 

4. I prefer the PC exclusives. 

5. I can use my PC for other functions than gaming, saving me money. 

6. I can upgrade my PC in the future if I so deem it desirable to have better hardware than what I have now. 

7. I can emulate Wii/PS2 games on my PC. 

8. There is much better backwards compatibility. 

9. I save money in the long-term, because I buy a lot of games. 

10. I prefer PC's online. 

11. I prefer mouse and keyboard controls for FPS/TPS/Strategy games. 

12. My favorite genres play better on PC (RPG's and Action-Adventures.) 

sc94597 said:

Because there exist people who don't want console exclusives as much as you do. You aren't the only type of console gamer. There are also people who might enjoy PC exclusives more, and have distanced themselves from PC gaming because of myths they've heard. People don't just buy consoles because they prefer the exclusives. Otherwise there would be no point in an Xbone gamer trying to persuade a PS4 gamer to choose an Xbone instead, or vice-versa. 

Then write an article about how to build a cheap PC and don't bring consoles into it. There's absolutely no point in showing how you can build a PC for the same price as a console but then end up with something that can't play console exclusive games. It's ludicrous and I wonder why it has become a thing. Why would you even do that? Most PC owners I know build the best PC they can so they can play PC games at the best resolution and the best framerates. Why would you cripple that potential by building a PC to match the price of a console? It's really odd.

The PS5 Exists.