By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - GameSpot tried to build a Pc which costs around the same as a console.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sc94597 said:
GribbleGrunger said:

Weird, weird weird. Who the the hell cares what exclusives the PC has? Stuff PC. I'm not interested in PC. I'm sick and tired of PC. This is an article about putting a PC together to compete with consoles. Are you with me yet?

You mentioned thar the PC wont have Xbone or PS4 exclusives. Well the same argument can be made for the Xbone/ps4 with regards to Pc, but also with regards to eachother. An xbone doesn't have PS4 exclusives nor does a PS4 have Xbone exclusives.

Outside of Far Cry, Portal, Battlfield and the WItcher....what PC games that came to console has console gamers truly been clamouring for as of late? I've heard more PC people making statements for console exclusivity than ever anyone bragging about PC exclusives. This is why a lot of PC gamers who value console gaming above all else have a secondary console so they can enjoy the exclusives. Not saying that no one has been talking about PC exclusives, but the way the marketing goes the masses will notice a console game before they will ever hear about a PC game unless its WOW.

Usually the secondary console is a console that doesn't get the same games as PC (see: Wii U.) You don't hear so many people bragging about PC exclusives because there are just fewer PC gamers in general on these forums or in the world. Honestly, it is only the PS4/Wii U that has so many exclusives that PC gamers want anyway. I can't think of a single Xbone exlusive that PC gamers are pleading for. Hell, usually Xbone exclusives come to PC because they fail on Xbone (see: Ryse.) 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
sc94597 said:

Because there exist people who don't want console exclusives as much as you do. You aren't the only type of console gamer. There are also people who might enjoy PC exclusives more, and have distanced themselves from PC gaming because of myths they've heard. People don't just buy consoles because they prefer the exclusives. Otherwise there would be no point in an Xbone gamer trying to persuade a PS4 gamer to choose an Xbone instead, or vice-versa. 

Then write an article about how to build a cheap PC and don't bring consoles into it. There's absolutely no point in showing how you can build a PC for the same price as a console but then end up with something that can't play console exclusive games. It's ludicrous and I wonder why it has become a thing. Why would you even do that? Most PC owners I know build the best PC they can so they can play PC games at the best resolution and the best framerates. Why would you cripple that potential by building a PC to match the price of a console? It's really odd.

The same can be said for the PS4 vs. Xbone. But people still argue that one is better than the other, and they are vastly closer platforms than PC is to either of them. And why would I cripple that potential? Because I'm not rich and I'm quite fine with the performance of a mid-ranged PC. There is much more to PC gaming than performance. I made a huge list already about that. 

Most people on this forum are so stupid, it hurts my brain. ( I am looking at you op)

User moderated for this post -RavenXtra

sc94597 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sc94597 said:

Hes right, if you want to look at true value its $400 and declining by the years. With the Kinect its $500. The Kinect has nothing to do with PC gaming outside of being an add on, so if you're going to compare value for value its $400 or less until January 3rd and even by next year Microsoft will most likely drop the price again being that they are losing. The PS4 will stay at a solid $400 and both console prices will decline. 

If we want to look at true value we can include the 100s of things a PC has thar is not relevant to gaming but is included in the package. There was no kinectless sku back when this article was written. If you wanted to buy an Xbone you had to spend approximately $550. Just because it had hardware nobody wanted is no excuse. The same can be said with the extra features PCs have.

Well...not these days.  Consoles don't need to prove themselves PC gaming, they only hold them back (in terms of ports) since console gamers pay for the major AAA iterations that hit PC and they are made for consoles with lesser graphics. They live a simple existence where you can just pick up and play games simply and enjoy a unified OS made for gaming and multimedia. PC's have gained a lot of ground that the lost at the beginning of last gen through Valve and because of that people can finally show what PC has to offer. Regardless of the sales of the Xbox One at launch we're talking about base price based on parts. The Kinect is not a part of it even though I understand your point. Now that Microsoft stopped forcing it upon people there is a proper competitive price with the PS4. Between October to January 3 the Xbox One was $400-350.....so show me a high powered PC that can be put together for those prices even at 900p on NVidia or AMD. The PS4 is the same price. 

sc94597 said:

Usually the secondary console is a console that doesn't get the same games as PC (see: Wii U.) You don't hear so many people bragging about PC exclusives because there are just fewer PC gamers in general on these forums or in the world. Honestly, it is only the PS4/Wii U that has so many exclusives that PC gamers want anyway. I can't think of a single Xbone exlusive that PC gamers are pleading for. Hell, usually Xbone exclusives come to PC because they fail on Xbone (see: Ryse.) 

Indeed, there are loads of really great PC only games that I have never even heard of. I only discovered Spintires as a result of a Eurogamer 2014 recap.

I'd LOVE Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 to come to PC now I've just got a new rig, as they're back to the only 2 games I can't play elsewhere.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

The same can be said for the PS4 vs. Xbone. But people still argue that one is better than the other, and they are vastly closer platforms than PC is to either of them. And why would I cripple that potential? Because I'm not rich and I'm quite fine with the performance of a mid-ranged PC. There is much more to PC gaming than performance. I made a huge list already about that. 

Why are you completely missing the point? Why do 'building a PC as cheap as consoles' articles exist? Why? There's no point in them whatsoever other than some arbitrary self indulgent nonsense to prove something that is of no importance or consequence. You wouldn't build a cheap PC to complete with consoles, you'd build a cheap PC to compete with expensive PCs.

The PS5 Exists. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sc94597 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sc94597 said:

Hes right, if you want to look at true value its $400 and declining by the years. With the Kinect its $500. The Kinect has nothing to do with PC gaming outside of being an add on, so if you're going to compare value for value its $400 or less until January 3rd and even by next year Microsoft will most likely drop the price again being that they are losing. The PS4 will stay at a solid $400 and both console prices will decline. 

If we want to look at true value we can include the 100s of things a PC has thar is not relevant to gaming but is included in the package. There was no kinectless sku back when this article was written. If you wanted to buy an Xbone you had to spend approximately $550. Just because it had hardware nobody wanted is no excuse. The same can be said with the extra features PCs have.

No. Consoles don't need to prove themselves PC gaming, they only hold them back (in terms of ports) since console gamers pay for the major AAA iterations that hit PC and they are made for consoles with lesser graphics. They live a simple existence where you can just pick up and play games simply and enjoy a unified OS made for gaming and multimedia. PC's have gained a lot of ground that the lost at the beginning of last gen through Valve and because of that people can finally show what PC has to offer. Regardless of the sales of the Xbox One at launch we're talking about base price based on parts. The Kinect is not a part of it even though I understand your point. Now that Microsoft stopped forcing it upon people there is a proper competitive price with the PS4. Between October to January 3 the Xbox One was $400-350.....so show me a high powered PC that can be put together for those prices even at 900p on NVidia or AMD. The PS4 is the same price. 

$450 seems about the cheapest for a PC that can perform as well as the PS4 right now. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/PCMasterRace/wiki/builds

Look at the next-gen crusher option. It is priced at $376 without the OS and Mouse+Keyboard. One can find an OS easily for about $40 (or less with work) and a mouse + keyboard that is decent for $30. That brings the total price after tax to $446 (no tax if you order from a company that isn't in your state in the U.S.) A console will cost about $428 in my state (7% sales tax.) That is a $18 difference, assuming no rebates. 

As for capabilities, the graphics card will be able to play AC Unity at high 1080p or ultra 900p @ 30fps and 26-30fps respectively. It might need a little bit extra ram, but since the card has 2gb VRAM, and the most I've experienced my system ram being used by modern games is about 2.5 gb, I think it would get by with only 4gb system ram for at least 5 years or so.  Remember AC Unity has drops on Xbone and especially PS4 at 900p as well. 

GribbleGrunger said:
sc94597 said:

Why are you completely missing the point? Why do 'building a PC as cheap as consoles' articles exist? Why? There's no point in them whatsoever other than some arbitrary self indulgent nonsense to prove something that is of no importance or consequence. You wouldn't build a cheap PC to complete with consoles, you'd build a cheap PC to compete with expensive PCs.

For the budget buyer. There are plenty of people on consoles who want to get into PC gaming, but think it would cost them close to $1000 to do so. The point is to show that PC gaming has become vastly cheaper than it was in the past, and if they want to play their games on PC without spending an arm and a leg they can do so. 

MohammadBadir said:
PCs cost more than consoles but the cheap games make up for the price. That's literally it. Why's this so hard for some people to understand?

Luckly, the consoles dont have the DRM bullshit that is on PC and second hand market exists 

GribbleGrunger said:

Perhaps because many of the most popular game series aren't exclusives and some people don't care one bit about exclusive titles? They want a system for their Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, Battlefield, FIFA, Assassin's Creed, The Elder Scrolls, Resident Evil, Borderlands, Mass Effect, MineCraft, Lego Games or Telltale Games.

Not every article is written for you personally. Should no articles exist that don't interest you? A little bit egocentric, ain't it?

And by the way.... this thread wasn't started by a fan of PC gaming.