By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: To the people against remasters...

How do you feel about games being remastered?

I'm all for it! 134 40.98%

Not really bothered to be honest 121 37.00%

I'm against it! 42 12.84%

See results. 29 8.87%

Total:326

The shift to DVD was a format change with many benefits. The shift to Blu Ray gave you some more pixels if you sit close enough to a big enough TV to see them.

This is unrelated to my thoughts on video games.

Around the Network

Depends. I'm not a fan of remasters of games that just came out (ie. Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs), but older games like Ratchet & Clank, God of War, Devil May Cry (the HD collection, not DmC) are good to me.

I'm fine with remasters of old games as they allow younger gamers to experience some older games with some improvements. However, I don't like the trend of getting remasters a year after the game's original release like The Last of Us.

kljesta64 said:
remasters are only welcome if the game is at least 10 years old.

Why? It's the same improvement if the jump is only one generation and it will take the same amount of time to remaster.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

When DVDs were beginning to be remastered on Blu Ray I kept buying the DVDs because there was a small noticeable difference in picture and the DVDs were half the price. Now I buy Blu Rays but try not to re buy the ones I have on DVD already (unless dirt cheap).

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network

I won't buy a remaster of a game I already own, but I could buy a remastered game that I never owned in the original version. Anyway, old for old, I'll buy a remaster when it's old and lower priced enough.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I'm both for it and against it. Whilst I see the merits in games like Last Of Us where by a whole group of people might have missed it (360 users) some remasters defy logic. Sleeping Dogs for example. That game previously was available to every one and it was a damn fine game. The remaster doesn't really cater to anyone and its still (on new gen consoles) a way behind the original PC release.

I think they have a place so long as they represent value for money. Releasing a 2 year old game for the sake of it (IR Sleeping Dogs) stinks of cash in to me. But some games so far have done it right. Metro Redux is great value for money for what you get with significant improvements etc.

If they are going to release them, then do them as a package. Uncharted 1,2,3? Yes please. Mass Effect 1,2,3? Go on then. Releasing one at a time though with barely enough to make it worthwhile is a massive no no though

PREDICTIONS FOR END OF 2015: (Made Jan 1st 2015)

PS4 - 34M - XB1 - 21m - WII U -12M

vivster said:
kljesta64 said:
remasters are only welcome if the game is at least 10 years old.

Why? It's the same improvement if the jump is only one generation and it will take the same amount of time to remaster.

because for me its not really a big improvement as I would like it to be unless the game really sucked..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

PenguinZ said:

I want Pong remastered...

I'm pretty sure, most of us never played the original Pong but a port / remastered version

lol, people are acting like they're being forced to buy them.

The only valid argument is that resources are taking away from new games but I question whether that is actually tangible? Did Tomb raider remastered delay new the game, did TLOU delay Uncharted 4 or Naughty Dogs next project?

Normally remasters are outsourced or handled by a tiny portion of a team, so even the fear of them delaying other games is largely unfounded.