By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo turned the Wii U around

spurgeonryan said:

http://www.geek.com/games/how-nintendo-turned-around-the-wii-u-1609920/

It took Nintendo nearly two years to get there, but the Wii U is now a fantastic game console. There are more “must own” games on the Wii U right now than either of the other next-gen consoles, and all but two of them are family friendly titles that anyone of any skill level can enjoy for hours. Getting to this point was no easy task, but now that Nintendo has a solid, inexpensive console with no shortage of great content, the chances for success increase significantly. The road Nintendo took to get here was far from smooth, and as a result it’s going to be hard to regain the trust of gamers.

When I left Nintendo’s press event for the Wii U back in October of 2012, there was no doubt in my mind that I had just seen the future. Nintendo had managed to successfully deliver their DS experience on the television, with hardware that was on par with the current generation of consoles and a focus on the entire living room that I found entirely refreshing. Unfortunately, what Nintendo delivered at launch was exactly none of these things. The launch was full of problems, not the least of which was the sheer volume of consumers who didn’t even understand that Nintendo was delivering a new gaming console. Features were missing, the launch lineup was less than exciting, and the console itself was just plain slow.

The first step towards getting the Wii U up to fighting strength was actually finishing the console, which included simple things like ensuring the GamePad would always work when in range of the console. Nintendo also quickly reacted to the desire for better battery life on the GamePad, and released larger batteries for those who wanted to lose a Saturday inside games like The Wonderful 101.

In finishing the OS and releasing most of the features that were promised at launch, Nintendo also figured out a clever way to give users something to do while the console started up. The Quick Launch menu on the Wii U GamePad made it easy for users to just jump straight into an app as soon as they hit the power key, and in many cases makes the console feel significantly faster than it actually is when it comes to booting and loading games. Quick Launch is a fantastic feature to have if the GamePad is your primary method of playing with the console, and it goes a long way towards making the Wii U feel nimble.

read more at link above!

I get that you're really really REALY into WIIU but it's getting destroyed sales wise in every single market.  If anything, they're weakening.  If Nintendo designers aren't throwing themselves on to their professional swords, they're thinking about it.   They sold 220K in the whole world THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS.  Do you understand how bad that is considered there's not one single constricted market???

I can tell you that I for one was really looking forward to a WiiU.  I was sure it would be a HD box because do build and sell one otherwise this generation would literally be suicide.  In the end, I obviously haven't and will not be buying a WiiU which is THE FIRST Nintendo console I've ever not purchased.   Thats not quite right...maybe when they're $99 next christmas?(they sure better be if they expect to sell any)

Was your post a troll?

User was warned for the last sentence of this post.

--Veknoid_Outcast

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:
bonzobanana said:
That article doesn't make a lot of sense. We are entering 2015 with just about all major third party support cancelled for wii u. This year the wii u will be even more a niche format and not get any of the impressive, state of the art games that ps4 or xbone get or the weaker ps3 and 360 versions.

Both ps3 and 360 are still more relevant and in mainland Europe the ps3 is still outselling wii u most of the time despite the huge existing ps3 userbase.

Nintendo are stuck with the wrong product which they must support for a few more years yet.

I don't see the appeal of have yet another GD console to play the same games. We've already got pc, xbox, and playstation, and now steam box. And you peeps want another console playing the same games? I buy one console to play cross platform games and then I buy others for the exclusives and wiiu is by far the best system for exclusives.

Most of it's exclusives are kid games and because it doesn't have 3rd support, it's not attracting anyone but nintendo fans and kids.

Psyberius said:

I get that you're really really REALY into WIIU but it's getting destroyed sales wise in every single market.  If anything, they're weakening.  If Nintendo designers aren't throwing themselves on to their professional swords, they're thinking about it.   They sold 220K in the whole world THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS.  Do you understand how bad that is considered there's not one single constricted market???

I can tell you that I for one was really looking forward to a WiiU.  I was sure it would be a HD box because do build and sell one otherwise this generation would literally be suicide.  In the end, I obviously haven't and will not be buying a WiiU which is THE FIRST Nintendo console I've ever not purchased.   Thats not quite right...maybe when they're $99 next christmas?(they sure better be if they expect to sell any)

Was your post a troll?

My goodness, this was like a JDrama Script.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Aeolus451 said:
bowserthedog said:
bonzobanana said:
That article doesn't make a lot of sense. We are entering 2015 with just about all major third party support cancelled for wii u. This year the wii u will be even more a niche format and not get any of the impressive, state of the art games that ps4 or xbone get or the weaker ps3 and 360 versions.

Both ps3 and 360 are still more relevant and in mainland Europe the ps3 is still outselling wii u most of the time despite the huge existing ps3 userbase.

Nintendo are stuck with the wrong product which they must support for a few more years yet.

I don't see the appeal of have yet another GD console to play the same games. We've already got pc, xbox, and playstation, and now steam box. And you peeps want another console playing the same games? I buy one console to play cross platform games and then I buy others for the exclusives and wiiu is by far the best system for exclusives.

Most of it's exclusives are kid games and because it doesn't have 3rd support, it's not attracting anyone but nintendo fans and kids.

Kids games? Could you define "kids games".

Aquietguy said:
Aeolus451 said:
bowserthedog said:
bonzobanana said:

Sure. :D A game that's mainly designed to target or appeal to kids but anyone can play it. It's the same with kid shows like teletubbies, spongebob squarepants, power rangers or pokemon. There's nothing wrong with watching or playing something that's mainly for a kid but I'm just gonna say how it is instead of saying that games like that are for "everyone" for the sake of feelings.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
zippy said:
If we are comparing Wii U 2014 to Wii U 2013, then yes i think Nintendo has turned things around a little. They have sold more software this year, will make profit, got more high quality exclusives and created a successful venture into the NFC toyline.

But still in terms of actual sales, the turnaround is minimal. It's up about 500k or so YoY with that majority of that simply due to releasing Mario Kart in a time that was facing a drought in the previous year. 

They are making money which is the primary objective and are now focusing on their loyal Nintendo crowd, who will buy their software in high numbers despite a small install base. Right now, high software sales are what matter to Nintendo regarding Wii U, and the fact its up yoy is a small bonus. I still think 2015 has potential because its loaded with games (fingers crossed no delays), and they have a real chance to build a lead over the first half of 2014 if Nintendo play their cards right.

Aquietguy said:
Aeolus451 said:
bowserthedog said:
bonzobanana said:

Yes, Call of duty, Minecraft and FIFA instantly spring to mind, Kids love that casual shit.

Make mature action pack games instead of making games for little kids would be a great start. They also need third party support and an online service that rival xbl/psn. Price it competitively and there you go Nintendo is saved.

sweetoothj said:
Make mature action pack games instead of making games for little kids would be a great start. They also need third party support and an online service that rival xbl/psn. Price it competitively and there you go Nintendo is saved.

Just like that eh

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Aeolus451 said:
Aquietguy said:
Aeolus451 said:
bowserthedog said:
bonzobanana said:

Sure. :D A game that's mainly designed to target or appeal to kids but anyone can play it. It's the same with kid shows like teletubbies, spongebob squarepants, power rangers or pokemon. There's nothing wrong with watching or playing something that's mainly for a kid but I'm just gonna say how it is instead of saying that games like that are for "everyone" for the sake of feelings.

Nintendo games are targeted to everyone. Just because there is no blood, violence, or bad language doesn't mean its targeted at kids. Certainly thats not all it means to be adult. And its certainly not need to make a good game.