By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo turned the Wii U around

Goodnightmoon said:

What a superficial look, cause you know, everything has to be dark, and dirt, and ultrarealistic, and disturbing, and ultraviolent, otherways, is all kiddie.

I've been watching...trust me.

As for your examples, you just listed what makes a great adult game.   You cannot honestly say there is much of that on Nintendo.

Kallumsmarties said:

Wii U wasn't selling well, but it isn't doing shit like people make out. How it's all doomed still actually Nintendo's doing better financially than others. They are still managing to do some great things dispite sales which would of been way better. Amiibo was probably their best idea in years, probably going make up for all the losses Nintendo lost in the past few years. Nintendo just need to make sure they don't make the same mistakes. I just get bored of people's comments now. Hard to take people seriously when their ownly insult is "Same Mario and Zelda game"...... I've got like 1 Zelda game and 3 Mario games out of 24 games lol. 

WiiU "wasn't" selling well?   At what point do you consider it selling bad?  50k a week during christmas?

Look, nobody is saying it's doomed however even though they're making money off the hardware, they're not selling much software.  Without 3DS, they would be in serious financial problems and firing people to maintain fiscal responsibility.  Their drop off this Christmas is nothing short of stunning to me.  I never personally forcasted this big of a drop off.

Around the Network

What's really happened, is that the Wii U has developed into maturity, as is normal for virtually any console that wasn't marginalized or ill-conceived from the very start. And yes, I realize many see the Wii U as being just that; marginalized, with diminishing/non-existent third party support and ill-conceived, due to the Game Pad and general inability to demonstrate the value of the new system to the Wii buying general public who have since moved on to other products.

But after two years, Nintendo has released the majority of its most important IPs, with remaining standouts like Zelda impending, and to the core Nintendo consumer who presumably buys Nintendo hardware to play Nintendo games, this still comes off as delivering what was desired. This ties into the whole "The Wii U is this generation's winner in my family living room" sentiment.

Adoption rates and sales on the other hand, profitability aside, has been about as luke warm as could be coming off the success of the Wii. Overall revenue matters. Growth matters. With as shrunken consumer base, there's really no upside to reverting back to a smaller niche product.

Is Viz for kids then?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.