By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Nintendo turned the Wii U around

Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:

1) Too many easy games?!  My favorite 3 series are MGS, Demon's Souls, and The Last Of Us.  How about you try those on the hardest difficulty (With DS only having 1 difficulty: NO MERCY). 

I went back on emulators and demolished Mario, Paper Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, and dozens of other games.  They are no harder than even COD on Veteran.

Oh and I owned an N64, not a Playstation.

2) Anyone I know who played the Zelda games, started them when they were kids; and few still play em.  I'm not saying they are bad or even kiddie, but they are far from mature and definately appeal to the "Family" demographic.  I would play Zelda in front of my little cousin, I would not play GTA V in front of her though.

I played and finished MGS when I was 12 lol... So did my friends. Yeah, we played "mature" games. Those games are super easy, so was The Last of Us. And why should I play on the hardest difficulty? Only thing that changes for most games is enemies hitting harder/having less health. I'll pass. 

LOL you lost all credibility when you said you refuse to play on harder difficulties.  Hell MGS4 was clearly designed to be played on Hard+ by those who want that sneaking feel to the game (Instead of Run-n-gun).

Maybe you think these games are for "Kiddies" because you keep playing them in Kiddie mode.  Games haven't gotten too easy, they just offer the option for lesser players to finish the story, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:

1) Too many easy games?!  My favorite 3 series are MGS, Demon's Souls, and The Last Of Us.  How about you try those on the hardest difficulty (With DS only having 1 difficulty: NO MERCY). 

I went back on emulators and demolished Mario, Paper Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, and dozens of other games.  They are no harder than even COD on Veteran.

2) Anyone I know who played the Zelda games, started them when they were kids; and few still play em.  I'm not saying they are bad or even kiddie, but they are far from mature and definately appeal to the "Family" demographic.  I would play Zelda in front of my little cousin, I would not play GTA V in front of her though.

I played and finished MGS when I was 12 lol... So did my friends. Yeah, we played "mature" games. Those games are super easy, so was The Last of Us. And why should I play on the hardest difficulty? Only thing that changes for most games is enemies hitting harder/having less health. I'll pass. 

LOL you lost all credibility when you said you refuse to play on harder difficulties.  Hell MGS4 was clearly designed to be played on Hard+ by those who want that sneaking feel to the game (Instead of Run-n-gun).

Maybe you think these games are for "Kiddies" because you keep playing them in Kiddie mode.  Games haven't gotten too easy, they just offer the option for lesser players to finish the story, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Ugh, read my post again.

I finished Metroid Prime 2 on hard mode with one energy tank and without a dark suit. So don't give me that crap of playing games in "kiddie mode". I only replay games if they resonated with me. I don't just replay games just because they offer a slightly more difficult mode. 

Dark Souls is super easy compared to MP2 with one energy tank, without a dark suit and on hard mode! And Dark Souls is already very hard! 

Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:

Ugh, read my post again.

I finished Metroid Prime 2 on hard mode with one energy tank and without a dark suit. So don't give me that crap of playing games in "kiddie mode". I only replay games if they resonated with me. I don't just replay games just because they offer a slightly more difficult mode. 

Dark Souls is super easy compared to MP2 with one energy tank, without a dark suit and on hard mode! And Dark Souls is already very hard! 

WOW I´m your biggest fan right now! :o

Goodnightmoon said:

WOW I´m your biggest fan right now! :o

Everyone can do it, but I don't think many people have the patience to die more than 2000 times and spend over 300 hours on something incredibly arbitrary lol. It took me over 3 years (and it did involve sequence breaking). I just love that game, it's the best Metroid.

But most kids would get frustrated finishing Metroid Prime 2 on normal mode (without a guide). Just like many kids will get frustrated while playing Donkey Kong: TF. It's a really hard game if you go for 100/200% and all puzzle pieces. So that's why I consider hard games for more adult players. That being said, I have gotten my ass kicked a lot of times playing Super Smash Bros. against kids... Lol. 

Most Nintendo games are incredibly hard to 100%. That's all the proof you need that Nintendo also targets a more mature demographic. There games are suited for EVERYBODY. Not just kids. Otherwise they wouldn't include some of those ridiculously hard levels in their games. I still haven't finished Super Mario 3D World 100%. I just can't get used to the isometric camera perspective lol... It's kind of annoying, SMG had a much better camera. Plus I suck at the game. 

MoHasanie said:
They didn't turn around anything. The console had a promising start but now is clearly a failure.

This, so much potential.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
MoHasanie said:
They didn't turn around anything. The console had a promising start but now is clearly a failure.

This, so much potential.

Failure, yes, but Nintendo did turn around. They were losing money for the first time as a gaming company and now they will most likely be profitable for the rest of the generation. 

I do hope to see the gamepad return next gen. Maybe the handheld will take over the gamepad's function. I'd be ok with that. Free controller for my home console if I also buy their handheld. :p 

Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:
Samus Aran said:

Shouldn't we start banning people for claiming Nintendo only makes kiddie games?

Have any of the people who made those claims beaten Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 100%?

Is Fire Emblem a kiddie franchise? When one of your party members dies in this game he/she is gone for good! You can even let your party members fall in love with each other so they can make babies! How freaking hardcore is that!

Or what about Metroid Prime trilogy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PhRiX0sTDo

this is a trilogy for kids? Uhm...

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are for kids??? Are you guys for real? 

What about Bayonetta 2 (funded and published by NINTENDO)? Also for kids?

Or Devil's Third? 

Eternal Darkness? 

Fatal Frame V?

So ban people just for having an opinion unfavorable to the eyes of almighty nintendo fans? I never said that nintendo ONLY makes kid games. I did say that the MAJORITY of nintendo's games were intended for kids. Why does "the majority of nintendo's games are intended are for kids" or "the majority of nintendo's games are kid games" that bother you so much? You do realize that the "everyone" rating is really the "for kids" rating. Kids can't touch the teen, mature or AO stuff, so kids can only play the "everyone" games. Anyone can play these games and enjoy them. It's not a matter of "an adult playing a kid game, he must be immature". Is that what you think I mean by when I say the majority of nintendo's games are for kids? I do not mean that or even imply that.

Lol, in what fantasy world? Go play some CoD with voice chat on and then tell me kids don't touch that stuff. That's the flaw of your entire argument. It renders it moot. 

And who said I was referring to you? I saw some people (don't remember their names) say some cringe worthy stuff about Nintendo games. 

In case you don't understand, I'm not talking about age ratings. I'm talking about the factual demographic userbase of Nintendo, Sony and XBOX fans. It's impossible to know which demographic is younger than the other(s). Your perception might differ from reality. 

For example, you'd think that higher costs of studying (Univerity/College) would translate to less people participating in higher education. But that is not supported by factual statistics! It's debunked by it! There's no correlation between cost of studying and participation (there is however a correlation between participation in higher education and the amount of money a country invests in education). 

You were saying that they should ban people who say nintendo only makes kiddie games. You didn't quote anyone and so it was directed broadly at anyone saying that nintendo makes kid games. You would have to rely heavily on surveys to find out what's nintendo's true userbase. How many parents bought it for their kids/family versus how many adults bought it for themselves. So far, there's no statistics on that other than who bought the console or games. Any kid can and would probably play a mature game if their parents let 'em but It doesn't change the fact that the majority of nintendo's games that are INTENDED for kids

Aquietguy said:
Aeolus451 said:
Aquietguy said:
Aeolus451 said:
bowserthedog said:
bonzobanana said:
That article doesn't make a lot of sense. We are entering 2015 with just about all major third party support cancelled for wii u. This year the wii u will be even more a niche format and not get any of the impressive, state of the art games that ps4 or xbone get or the weaker ps3 and 360 versions.

Both ps3 and 360 are still more relevant and in mainland Europe the ps3 is still outselling wii u most of the time despite the huge existing ps3 userbase.

Nintendo are stuck with the wrong product which they must support for a few more years yet.

I don't see the appeal of have yet another GD console to play the same games. We've already got pc, xbox, and playstation, and now steam box. And you peeps want another console playing the same games? I buy one console to play cross platform games and then I buy others for the exclusives and wiiu is by far the best system for exclusives.

Most of it's exclusives are kid games and because it doesn't have 3rd support, it's not attracting anyone but nintendo fans and kids.

Kids games? Could you define "kids games".

Sure. :D A game that's mainly designed to target or appeal to kids but anyone can play it. It's the same with kid shows like teletubbies, spongebob squarepants, power rangers or pokemon. There's nothing wrong with watching or playing something that's mainly for a kid but I'm just gonna say how it is instead of saying that games like that are for "everyone" for the sake of feelings.

Nintendo games are targeted to everyone. Just because there is no blood, violence, or bad language doesn't mean its targeted at kids. Certainly thats not all it means to be adult. And its certainly not need to make a good game.

That is garbage.

How are they aimed at everyone? Making a product for everyone is actually very hard, so people like yourself who claim that Nintendo games are "for everyone" is flat out wrong. Many of the games storyline, script, concepts, artistic style etc are aimed at kids eg. bright colour, simple game mechanics and so on. Then to add to this, Nintendo killed off nearly all western games after the N64, thus not only do you have the above, but you have almost an entirely Japanese based style of games (which is known to have been struggling for years).

The poor sales would only confirm all of the above, otherwise why else would a console so balanced (as you claim) be selling so poorly?

Aeolus451 said:
Samus Aran said:
Aeolus451 said:
Samus Aran said:

Shouldn't we start banning people for claiming Nintendo only makes kiddie games?

Have any of the people who made those claims beaten Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 100%?

Is Fire Emblem a kiddie franchise? When one of your party members dies in this game he/she is gone for good! You can even let your party members fall in love with each other so they can make babies! How freaking hardcore is that!

Or what about Metroid Prime trilogy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PhRiX0sTDo

this is a trilogy for kids? Uhm...

Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X are for kids??? Are you guys for real? 

What about Bayonetta 2 (funded and published by NINTENDO)? Also for kids?

Or Devil's Third? 

Eternal Darkness? 

Fatal Frame V?

So ban people just for having an opinion unfavorable to the eyes of almighty nintendo fans? I never said that nintendo ONLY makes kid games. I did say that the MAJORITY of nintendo's games were intended for kids. Why does "the majority of nintendo's games are intended are for kids" or "the majority of nintendo's games are kid games" that bother you so much? You do realize that the "everyone" rating is really the "for kids" rating. Kids can't touch the teen, mature or AO stuff, so kids can only play the "everyone" games. Anyone can play these games and enjoy them. It's not a matter of "an adult playing a kid game, he must be immature". Is that what you think I mean by when I say the majority of nintendo's games are for kids? I do not mean that or even imply that.

Lol, in what fantasy world? Go play some CoD with voice chat on and then tell me kids don't touch that stuff. That's the flaw of your entire argument. It renders it moot. 

And who said I was referring to you? I saw some people (don't remember their names) say some cringe worthy stuff about Nintendo games. 

In case you don't understand, I'm not talking about age ratings. I'm talking about the factual demographic userbase of Nintendo, Sony and XBOX fans. It's impossible to know which demographic is younger than the other(s). Your perception might differ from reality. 

For example, you'd think that higher costs of studying (Univerity/College) would translate to less people participating in higher education. But that is not supported by factual statistics! It's debunked by it! There's no correlation between cost of studying and participation (there is however a correlation between participation in higher education and the amount of money a country invests in education). 

You were saying that they should ban people who say nintendo only makes kiddie games. You didn't quote anyone and so it was directed broadly at anyone saying that nintendo makes kid games. You would have to rely heavily on surveys to find out what's nintendo's true userbase. How many parents bought it for their kids/family versus how many adults bought it for themselves. So far, there's no statistics on that other than who bought the console or games. Any kid can and would probably play a mature game if their parents let 'em but It doesn't change the fact that the majority of nintendo's games that are INTENDED for kids

To sum it up; how many xbone/ps4 AAA games have a rating of 15 to 18? Now how many Nintendo games have a rating of 15/18 over the last 20 years?  Nintendo do have a certain target market which many people on this forum hate to admit for some reason.

Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:
Samus Aran said:
Captain_Tom said:

Ugh, read my post again.

Try being one of the guys that beats DS2 without dying once or using any bonfires.  Some people have legitly done that to unlock the 2 most powerful rings in the game.  Hell people have been making SL1 runs since Demon's Souls (That's where you beat the entire game without leveling up).

Yes, these games are just as hard as any game you have been listing.