By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cosnoles vs. Handhelds: which will die first?

Which will die first?

Consoles 24 12.37%

Handhelds 92 47.42%

Neither 78 40.21%

Total:194

This is not really possible to predict. Either will only die if their parents let them. I could see both dedicated consoles and handhelds go on for the next 20 years if they carry big enough exclusives and are still profitable for the manufacturers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Voted handhelds.

Currently the market already has devices that fill the handheld need. Smart Phones are the evolution of the handheld, and have already surpassed them in every aspect besides input controls. With the ability to connect your smart phone to a DS4 and play PS4 and PS Now, there is little reason for a dedicated and underpowered handheld device. The industry is much better off with developers dedicating their skills to the most advanced hardware.

As of right now consoles have no competition when it comes to gaming on the television. PC's are not as media center friendly in either design or function. To this point Apple and Google have not put out any legitimate competitors based on iOS or Android. At this point PS4 and XBO are the must user friendly, and most functional, devices that can play legitimate current games while also delivering every other forum of video or audio entertainment.

I believe that as this generation presses on, and MS and Sony continue to push the consoles with non gaming, and non media applications consoles will become even more relivent. By the end of this generation I think a very large number of people will be using something like Direct TV and PS Vue OTT TV services, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, and more via PS4 and XBO. This will be the generation that console finally graduate from childrens gaming device, to legitimate home entertainment and productivity computers. Due to many factors I see PS4 and XBO along with android and ios based devices turning into an industry that brings traditional PC to its knees in the next 5 years.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Well, ofcourse sales are down when you compare it to the most succesful gen ever...

Probably the Cosnoles

"So as probably everyone predicted, everything has gone down"

no nonsense consoles are doing much better than last gen with regards to sony and microsoft it is nintendo's inability to perform that is lowering the numbers

so i'd say consoles are just fine

i can't see handhelds doing well past next gen though

Around the Network

Handhelds will probably die first because their direct competition is growing, but Nintendo has Pokemon which changes everything. If I had to choose out of the two though it would definitely be handhelds.

Depends on what you mean by handhelds, because we will always have mobile gaming! I guess?

Handheld may shrink to much smaller market but I can't see it dying, especially when so much of its market is kids. I can however see PS6 being a cloud device.

home consoles or handhelds are going to clouds, soon you will be able to play all games on your handheld devices, or tv.
but nintendo has pokemon, and if they dont go to the clouds, they will still sell handhelds.
so, home consoles will die first.

Consoles in the east, handhelds in the west.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"