By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cosnoles vs. Handhelds: which will die first?

Which will die first?

Consoles 24 12.37%

Handhelds 92 47.42%

Neither 78 40.21%

Total:194

I have seen zero kids ask for gameboy or ps vitas in the recent years... At least not more than showing a passing interest, however they all play with their parent's big console, tablet or computer.

i see no future in handhelds... But I do see a future in console like gaming... Well, i hope... Or I'll just keep playing my old machines.

Around the Network
alabtrosMyster said:

I have seen zero kids ask for gameboy or ps vitas in the recent years... At least not more than showing a passing interest, however they all play with their parent's big console, tablet or computer.

i see no future in handhelds... But I do see a future in console like gaming... Well, i hope... Or I'll just keep playing my old machines.

That could possibly be due to Gameboy being replaced about a decade ago

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I don't see consoles dying anytime soon. Handhelds are on the decline but they will survive as long as console manufacturers adapt to the changing marketscape. We may never see DS like numbers again but I think handhelds will still have life in them.

IMO both consoles and handhelds are here to stay.
Sony fumbled many things with Vita, but there's still a market for a portable Playstation, it just needs support for more AAA western games and to use cheap memory storage.
3DS had a fumbled launch, but it's still sold very well and the New 3DS will breath life into the platform, along with continued game support, Vita can still have that too.

As for home consoles, cloud gaming can't match dedicated hardware, the experience is too unreliable and costs are an issue, because no one is going to be willing to a subscription service every year, nor will software publishers be willing to reduce their profits to support this kind of business model.
PS Now will work because it's a supplementary service, provided the pricing isn't much more than PS+ and it works because it's for games that have already sold through their margins, so publishers just get a bit more revenue from it or a lot depending on the game.
No one will be willing to pay hundreds to thousands of pounds per year for something that will be less reliable than their home console, that they don't own.

We're back at Xbox One, 24 hour check-ins being forced on people.

When games like No Man's Sky can generate an entire galaxy's worth of experiences for gamers the cloud is a useless prospect for a games platform.
9th gen home console tech will make AI, physics and all of that a vastly superior environment compared to this generation, just like the 8th gen is to the 7th and the 7th was to the 6th, so on and so forth.

Latency will be even more noticeable because processing technology on a die is getting even closer together and huge amounts of memory will be stacked on a processor, local bandwidths are going to get ridiculously quick over the next few years.

Mobile phones are going to die first. They are introducing this new technology that you can speak through your mind that will release in 2016 to the consumer. Trust me.

Around the Network
JustBeingReal said:
IMO both consoles and handhelds are here to stay.
Sony fumbled many things with Vita, but there's still a market for a portable Playstation, it just needs support for more AAA western games and to use cheap memory storage.
3DS had a fumbled launch, but it's still sold very well and the New 3DS will breath life into the platform, along with continued game support, Vita can still have that too.

As for home consoles, cloud gaming can't match dedicated hardware, the experience is too unreliable and costs are an issue, because no one is going to be willing to a subscription service every year, nor will software publishers be willing to reduce their profits to support this kind of business model.
PS Now will work because it's a supplementary service, provided the pricing isn't much more than PS+ and it works because it's for games that have already sold through their margins, so publishers just get a bit more revenue from it or a lot depending on the game.
No one will be willing to pay hundreds to thousands of pounds per year for something that will be less reliable than their home console, that they don't own.

We're back at Xbox One, 24 hour check-ins being forced on people.

When games like No Man's Sky can generate an entire galaxy's worth of experiences for gamers the cloud is a useless prospect for a games platform.
9th gen home console tech will make AI, physics and all of that a vastly superior environment compared to this generation, just like the 8th gen is to the 7th and the 7th was to the 6th, so on and so forth.

Latency will be even more noticeable because processing technology on a die is getting even closer together and huge amounts of memory will be stacked on a processor, local bandwidths are going to get ridiculously quick over the next few years.

May I mention that online networks are already strained past breaking point during certain days of the year?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

Consoles this gen are front-loaded, make no doubt about it. The XOne and PS4 are going to track far more similarly to the Wii than the X360 and PS3, respectively. So, I can't really count on the first few years to check what would happen later on.

Handhelds this gen look to slip back to GBA-levels.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

The next consoles will be console/handheld hybrids.

Nintendo's next console will allow cross play between handheld and console. At least that's what they should do, this would make buying a handheld that much more better, along with their console.

Of course handhelds but both will be dying in the next decade.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54