By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the differences between Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo gamers?

LudicrousSpeed said:

From Software came up with the setting and gameplay for the game. aka the online co-op. Not that it matters, it would have been in there whether Sony were actually developing it or not.

Where did I say anything about it being the focus of Uncharted 4? It will be a big component of the game. That's what I said. Just like MP is a big component of Halo, yet its also got a huge universe and expansive story that many buy the game just to experience.

We can go back and forth on this all you want, someone replied laughing at the stupid notion that PS is starting to cater more to single player worlds and that's what I was agreeing with. That's clearly false. There's this myth running around that some people like to perpatuate that their fanbase has some sort of more well rounded taste in games yet you look at sales charts and it's the same shit on both consoles.

Eh, Playstation gamers have a much broader taste in games due to the fact that Playstation is big in every market where Nintendo and MS are not. 

Around the Network

I'm a NintendoSoft gamer - so I can't speak for myself as a one platform holder only kinda guy.

I get Nintendo for the first party/Japanese stuff - MS for the third party/superior online/Western games.

I was a Sega and Nintendo "guy" until 1995 when I went Sony - until gen 6/2002 - (when I owned XB, GC and PS2) - and found myself won over by the diversity and quality of the combined XB/GC library over the quantity of the PS2 library which was rife with quality 3rd party exclusives but lacking in first party I cared about (God Of War arrived a year or two later, by which time I saw it as an inferior/simplified Ninja Gaiden. Even preferred DMC1) - and often those exclusives would eventually show up on one of my other consoles in a superior version (GTA 3/VC/SA for example), and I'd regret double dipping.

At the start of gen 7 - the 3rd party exclusives on Sony platforms that i cared about dwindled (though I guess I still like to play MGS4 among others) - and since most of the studios Sony pacman'd up in gen 6 (ND, Guerilla, SuckerP) hadn't really got started - there were no first party IPs I really cared about for the first few years of gen 7. Though a worthy PaRappa sequel ( Lammy2? They messed up Parappa2, which probably led to my disillusionment in Sony first party back in 02) would probably have tipped me.

All said - just one guys experiences and opinions from my 38 years.

Anyway - that's basically why I'm a MS/Nintendo guy - not really an answer to the OP - so in an attempt to answer that - I'll give my impression of what each single platform "fan" likes about his chosen platform.

Nintendo guys - Love the IP. Are rarely let down in first party quality hence their loyalty. And they like a sturdy system.

Sony guys - Love anime licenses/Sony first party. Larger share of under 35s than MS. More likely Apple fans.

MS guys - Larger share of over 35s. Probably gamed on DOS in the 80s. Value system /network stability. Less likely to be Apple fans.

My opinions. All anecdotal.

Mmm

Mr.Playstation said:
PS gamers: All rounders ( Average amount of first party games and average amount of third party games in terms of how much they play)
Xbox gamers: Shooters ( COD and their beloved Halo )
Real Nintendo gamers: Mainly only first party games.

you can't say this because a lot of best selling games on PS are shooters.

I have an Xbox and PC, I play lots of different games. 

Xbox owners are generally less cultured and prefer more violent straightforward games. They are also heavily motivated by patriotism to buy american and tend to be ill informed about console specs and gaming in general, tending to simply pick up the latest madden and cod each year.

Sony owners are more sophisticated and informed, generally better educated, and value more thoughtful and diverse storytelling in games. For them, the playstation is the obvious choice - why, after all would you opt for a technically inferior system with a weaker games library just to save ~ $80 or so? It doesn't make economic sense.

Nintendo fans are quirky individualists who march to the beat of their own drummer and value imagination, magic, and fundamentally sound gameplay. Truly they are the best of us.

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
the biggest difference to me is arrogance. Pro Sony fans are pretty bad

I didn't know you were a pro Sony fan

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

spurgeonryan said:

I say the biggest difference is the amount of gaming each group plays. Especially Nintendo gamers vs the other two.

You will constantly see Microsoft gamers talking about new games they are playing ( see the xbox mega thread for proof). Same with Sony gamers (see vita mega thread for proof).

You would be hard pressed to find a "Nintendo gamer" playing anything other than MK8, Smash, or Pokemon this past year.

What do you think the biggest differences are?

You weren't looking very hard.

The list of games I've been playing this past year is:

[3DS]: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Bravely Default, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Theathrhythm: Final Fantasy, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl, Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Super Mario 3D Land.

No mention of Mario Kart, Smash, or Pokemon there~!

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Xbox gamers= Competitive gamers (Primarily sports and shooters)
Sony gamers= Diverse gamers but like to play storybased games in many genres. Sony takes the jack of all trades master of none route, but still has quality.
Nintendo gamers= First party enthusiasts who like party games and platformers.

Since when were Nintendo fans not proud of the various puzzlers, RPGs, and strategy games available?

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

McGilliguts said:
Xbox owners are generally less cultured and prefer more violent straightforward games. They are also heavily motivated by patriotism to buy american and tend to be ill informed about console specs and gaming in general, tending to simply pick up the latest madden and cod each year.

Sony owners are more sophisticated and informed, generally better educated, and value more thoughtful and diverse storytelling in games. For them, the playstation is the obvious choice - why, after all would you opt for a technically inferior system with a weaker games library just to save ~ $80 or so? It doesn't make economic sense.

Nintendo fans are quirky individualists who march to the beat of their own drummer and value imagination, magic, and fundamentally sound gameplay. Truly they are the best of us.

Really? How often do you see the Xbox gamers here raving about Madden and COD every year?

And I've seen some very unsophisticated and ill-informed owners from every fanbase. Sony included.

jlmurph2 said:
McGilliguts said:

Really? How often do you see the Xbox gamers here raving about Madden and COD every year?

And I've seen some very unsophisticated and ill-informed owners from every fanbase. Sony included.

You are right. These are only broad generalizations, not meant to apply to individuals, and suggestive only of overall tendencies. And of course vgchartz members are much more knowledgeable than typical gamers.