By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It Looks Like PS4 Has Overtaken Xbox One On All Major Retailers Including Amazon.....

Yeah no, I trust Amazon and this is a definite win for X1. The margin would still be interesting though. Gonna be a fun NPD.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
On Amazon it's been relatively close all month so if that is any indication then a late surge by PS4 could tip the month in its favour. But I think it will be close these final weeks even if Ps4 is ahead these weeks, so pulling ahead of the lead xb one builds up will be a tall order.

No it hasn't. It was in the 30's before the 2 free game deal came. While Xbox One was chilling at the top the whole month. Hasn't dropped out of the top 10 yet. That's why its #1 on the monthly and PS4 is all the way at 19. Not close at all.

Interestingly enough, the PS4 has never done poorly. Its the Xbox One that has picked up. The PS4 is just consistent. So, in the end, unless the PS4 slows down, it may be quite some time before the Xbox One can break even in the states. Obviously, they made good ground in November, and have a shot to do decent in December, but ultimately, the PS4 is not stopping. More importantly, we should discuss how a potential price hike in January will play out... assuming Microsoft is sticking to its guns with the temp price drop.

Looks like stuff is falling back to pre holiday order to me.

NobleTeam360 said:
Looks like stuff is falling back to pre holiday order to me.

Seems like it. I also think that it's a win/win for MS/Sony the way it's going to play out.

From MS's perspective, coming into this holiday things were somewhat disastrous. Their ROW sales were bad, US/UK sales were decent but not leading, and the total install base was not that great yet. All news and PR related to X1 were not that great, and getting beat for a year straight in their home territory was virtually guaranteed if they didn't do something major. Their strategy had never really been a hugely profitable one, so the only thing that was at stake was their pride. I remember posting a predicted price-drop thread for the X1 way back in July/August, and people simply couldn't comprehend that there would have to be one before the end of the year for things to get jump-started.

And they succeeded in jump-starting things pretty well in the states and UK. The amount of value presented with some of the X1 deals was just incredible. Multiple games, gift cards, and massively lower cost of entry across the board. It will probably tail off considerably now, but the mission to get the install base jump-started and get some positive PR out there (by way of avoiding terrible PR!) was accomplished for sure. We can tell that Microsoft has wisely written off the X1 outside of the territories that are most lucrative for them, which seems to strongly indicate a new plan moving forward.

For Sony, they continue to win globally with ease, all by doing basically nothing. A very limited GTA bundle, a nearly unmarketed LBP / Lego bundle that was also fairly limited, and of course the regular $399 sku plugging away. It very much lines up with Sony reserving their real price cut for PS4 all the way to 2015, which will either be at E3 or November 2015. It is actually somewhat beneficial for Sony to keep their unit profits intact, and not to overdo it too much in all territories. If Sony had price-matched the PS4 at $329 with a free game coupon, sales would have been bananas for both consoles going well over 1M/mo for Nov/Dec imho. $399 is still a pretty high price of entry, and it's my opinion that the window for those sales will wind down considerably over the next few months. Really anything over $300 should start to disappear other than value-add bundles before 2016 at the very latest.

$299 will bring MASS numbers in, along with both Sony and Microsoft really getting 1st party moving. Gears and Halo, Uncharted and Gran Turismo, and all the rest, we should see some pretty epic sales for 2015-2017, with the first full year that includes the first true $299 msrp being insanely huge.

Around the Network

Good for PS4. It just sucks that it's Dec 24th and the most up to date numbers we have here is from Dec 6th. (And even that took awhile) I can understand going on holiday but like 3 weeks early?

Unrivaledx said:
thats funny cause i went into a best buy tn and ther was almost no PS4's for sale and a little bit more xbox one's..

but then i went to the PS section and there was people everywhere buying games and playing the PS4 it self.. then the Xbox one section didnt have the crowd that the PS4 had. i also think MS needs to put a Playable X1 on the floor idk why the X1 arent playable.. "demo kiosks"

Same. I went to BB last night and picked up some amiibo and there were no ps4s on the floor and about 15 xb1s and many 360s.

Nope. XBO will win.

i think we should just not say anything until we get the npd, we don't want to look stupid. however, based on some anecdotal reports in this thread ps4 has a chance, but just to be safe i'm going to say xbox will win again, but not by nearly as much as november.

I think xbox one will win december too in npd, but much closer than november