By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 5 reasons the Wii U won the console war in our house

What ya think?

I wholeheartdly agree. 172 56.03%

Maybe 27 8.79%

No, not in hell! 89 28.99%

See result 19 6.19%

Total:307

Come on, bruh. You're reaching.

#5 and #4 are legit though.

Around the Network

Hmm... I wonder why was the " in our house" part left out of the thread's title!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Most important statement in the article, which was egregiously omitted from the OP:

"... in our house."

The list included all extremely valid reasons why the Wii U is a better fit for many households than the two consoles that have already eclipsed it in sales in half the time on the market, but history will likely show how Nintendo went from the biggest lead in the market in the previous generation, to the biggest deficit.

I personally compare my Wii U to my PS3, not to my PS4... it makes more sense IMHO.

The hardware power of the Wii U is much closer to the PS3 than to the PS4. Most multiplatform games look almost the same on Wii U and PS3 (some slightly better on Wii U, others slightly better on PS3). Some Wii U exclusives look better than most PS3 games, but some PS3 exclusives also look better than most Wii U games... it's a tie for now, but the Nintendo exclusives next year will probably tip the scale.

Both WiiU and PS3 are backwards compatible. My PS3 can play all retail PS1 games, many digital PS1 games, most retail PS2 games and many digital PS2 games. Many PS2 games are also available as upgraded HD versions for good prices... digital and physical.

My Wii U can only play retail Wii games and no GameCube games... I can't buy Wii games digitally, which is a bummer (especially these out-of-print-titles like Xenoblade Chonicles). Only very few GameCube or Wii games are available as upgraded HD version (yet).

Both systems (Wii U + PS3) have free multiplayer, neither of them needs an online subscription. And there are (naturally) many more games with online multiplayer out there for PS3 than for Wii U. The Wii U has a clear advantage in local multiplayer, which is great for families (if the parents or siblings or friends in the neighborhood are into Nintendo games), but it doesn't matter for many adult gamers (friends lost interest in gaming, don't live in the neighborhood anymore or have rarely time to come around to play video games).

And I have my doubts, that the next Nintendo home console will be backwards compatible to WiiU games... they will have the same problems when changing the architecture as Sony and Microsoft had with the switch to x86-APUs.

How come only first party titles count? All the consoles have a good quality library, it just so happens that most of the quality (but not all) is 3rd party for PS4 and Xb one. And the fact is the majority of that 3rd party quality is not available on Wii U. So, it does depend a lot on the sort of games you want. And in that regard the differences are stark and obvious. If you have any interest in the major 3rd party franchises then you get PS4 or Xb one (or PC of course). And then you look at the exclusives and features of those 2 bring to decide which one to get.

If you much prefer the library Nintendo brings to the table then the choice is as clear as day. But the choice you make isn't just about what the first parties bring to each consoles.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
alternine said:

Considering the fact you have Nintendo in your name makes this thread invalid. Can we please stop with the fanboyism on this site?

Maybe check the user's history before claiming something like this.

Hey what ever helps them sleep at night knowing they don't get 90% of the games coming out. I get articles, its click bate. But "fans" supporting crap like this with false titles, seems really desperate to justify their own buys to them selves then anything else.

Local multiplayer is available in a lot of games on ps4/Xbox one

And man, Ps4 and the One have only been out for little more than a year, give them time

Those reasons target a niche market excluding the unpredictable blue ocean.

dat reach

Most of these reasons are incredibly weak