By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby and the Rainbow Curse price announced!

Boutros said:
JWeinCom said:
Boutros said:
JWeinCom said:
Boutros said:

Nintendo isn't giving away anything free here. They price it $39.99 because you get $39.99 of content. It's a 2D platformer that recycles many ideas from its predecessor (Canvas Curse and every other 2D Kirby games really). It wouldn't have been priced as such if it were a more ambitious title.

Most companies make games that recycle nearly all of the ideas from their predecessors, and still charge full price.

But most of the ones you have in mind (probably like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed) don't come from a genre that's been around for over 30 years, that's been run into to the ground extensively and that requires limited technology. It feels like for a 2D platformer to stand out these days they need a unique artstyle because we all know they ultimately all play the same (or so). So if such a familiar genre recycles ideas then we know it probably didn't require much work, hence the lower price point.

1.  I never said what I had in mind.  

2.  First person shooters have been around for at least 20 years.  

3.  First person shooters most certainly have been run into the ground.

4.  Using a unique art style is a negative now?

5.  They all play the same?  There's been all of one game that plays similarly to Rainbow Curse.  You could debatably throw Yoshi Touch and Go and Mass Attack in there.  Since you brought up Call of Duty, I assure you there are far more games that play like Call of Duty than Rainbow Curse.

6.  I guess platformer require no work now?  Ok.  And somehow first person shooters and open world games are not familiar genres..?  

7.  Values of games have never correlated to the amount of work they took.  If they did, all sequels should be lower priced than their predecessors because of the amount of assets developed and the engine (Rainbow Curse does not reuse any of these as far as I can tell).  Ports and HD remakes should be significantly cheaper.  

8.  There are many games that can and should be priced at a much lower rate by your silly and arbitrary standards, but are not. 

Woah the defensive stance is way too real. Not responding to that LOL

Sounds like a copout to avoid admitting ur wrong

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

Yawn I guess I can respond (because I'm not wrong!) but I've been here long enough to know this discussion isn't going anywhere when one side reacts so defensively.

Boutros said:
zorg1000 said:

Yawn I guess I can respond (because I'm not wrong!) but I've been here long enough to know this discussion isn't going anywhere when one side reacts so defensively.

JWeinCom wasn't even acting defensive, u made an extremely ignorant comment and he explained how it was.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ill pick it, no doubt.

yay!

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Boutros said:
zorg1000 said:

JWeinCom wasn't even acting defensive, u made an extremely ignorant comment and he explained how it was.

"There are many games that can and should be priced at a much lower rate by your silly and arbitrary standards, but are not."

That's a defensive reply. I don't know what kind of discussions you have with people but I don't call their opinion silly because I disagree with them.

JWeinCom said:
Boutros said:

But most of the ones you have in mind (probably like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed) don't come from a genre that's been around for over 30 years, that's been run into to the ground extensively and that requires limited technology. It feels like for a 2D platformer to stand out these days they need a unique artstyle because we all know they ultimately all play the same (or so). So if such a familiar genre recycles ideas then we know it probably didn't require much work, hence the lower price point.

1.  I never said what I had in mind.  

2.  First person shooters have been around for at least 20 years.  

3.  First person shooters most certainly have been run into the ground.

4.  Using a unique art style is a negative now?

5.  They all play the same?  There's been all of one game that plays similarly to Rainbow Curse.  You could debatably throw Yoshi Touch and Go and Mass Attack in there.  Since you brought up Call of Duty, I assure you there are far more games that play like Call of Duty than Rainbow Curse.

6.  I guess platformer require no work now?  Ok.  And somehow first person shooters and open world games are not familiar genres..?  

7.  Values of games have never correlated to the amount of work they took.  If they did, all sequels should be lower priced than their predecessors because of the amount of assets developed and the engine (Rainbow Curse does not reuse any of these as far as I can tell).  Ports and HD remakes should be significantly cheaper.  

8.  There are many games that can and should be priced at a much lower rate by your silly and arbitrary standards, but are not. 

1. Then what were you talking about?

2. The scale of the changes from early 2D platformers to recent ones isn't even close to the ones for first-person shooters. The more complex game design of first-person shooters has allowed for far greater improvements along the years.

3. But they don't require as limited of technologies as 2D platformers. And that's a very important aspect because that's the difference between a small budget and a big budget which is the difference between a low retail price and a high retail price. First-person shooters are quite a notch above 2D platformers when it comes to the complexity of the game design. They imply 3D environements which then involves a more complex level design, control scheme, collision system and so much more and all of that means more bugs and glitches that require extensive testing phase.

4. Never said that?

5. I said they all play the same or so. And I meant ultimately the same as something that's already out there. Rainbow Curse does try to bring a twist the way Canvas Curse did but if it's already been done in Canvas Curse than we can say it recycled the idea. And that's only meaningful because then they didn't have to come up with a new idea for Rainbow Curse (which would imply R&D costs) which lowers the budget and allows for a lower price point. Call of Duty isn't unique no but they still cost a ton of money to make however much similar they are one another and that justifies the full retail price.

6. I said that pertaining to the complexity of creating a 2D platformer that uses previously developed assets and ideas. 2D platformers are as simple as it gets on a technical level which is why they've been around for so long and are still the go-to genre for small teams or indie developers. It requires less ressources to create than pretty much any other genre. That means a lower budget and thus an appropriately lower retail pricing.  What is there to deny?

7. Where did I disagree with that?

8. LOL lower budget = lower price point is certainly not an arbitrary standard. And again I don't disagree that many sequels should be priced lower but there's no reason for companies to do this if their games sell regardless of how much smiliar they are to their predecessors (Cod, AC and every sports games really).

The $40 price tag has made me reconsider picking this up.

Boutros said:
zorg1000 said:
Boutros said:
zorg1000 said:

"There are many games that can and should be priced at a much lower rate by your silly and arbitrary standards, but are not."

That's a defensive reply. I don't know what kind of discussions you have with people but I don't call their opinion silly because I disagree with them.

But ur post was silly, u downplayed a game by describing things that most games are guilty of.

zorg1000 said:
Boutros said:
zorg1000 said:
Boutros said:
zorg1000 said:

But ur post was silly, u downplayed a game by describing things that most games are guilty of.

Wth I didn't downplay the game at all. I gave a justification for the lower retail pricing. And my comment applied to the whole 2D platformer genre. They just don't cost as much to make. It's as simple as that. I don't know what's silly or ignorant about it. Puppeteer is another example of a 2D platformer given a 40$ price point and rightfully so. Not because of its quality or its value but because it was a smaller project that didn't justify a full price at retail.