By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - When should have The Simpsons been cancelled?

I utterly adored the Simpsons at the beginning and it continued this way for at least 12 seasons. Sometime after that I realised I had started to dislike it as the formula was tired and the stories unfunny. There were some later good episodes but most just didn't work for me. The most recent seasons have been quite embarrassing in quality terms. The magic has completely gone.

Around the Network

Seasons 17 - 23 were just awful

24 and 25 have been more "OK", though

To answer your question, Season 9

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

After season 10 the show started getting kinda bad. There gems after that, but the quality was down.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It should be canceled after 90% of television that is worse is canceled (looking at specifically you, entire MTV, Bravo, and E! networks).

mornelithe said:

Actually, no, I don't agree.  The Simpsons had some great years, and some not so great years.  A rollercoaster of quality if you will.  However, I'd elect to watch the Simpsons over 95% of the horseshit people call TV nowadays.  Then again, watching TV, like playing a video game, is something you choose to do.  Fox will cancel the Simpson's, when it's no longer drawing big ratings.  Not only do I watch the Simpsons every week, I also watch reruns on FX constantly.

I am just about the biggest Simpsons nut on the planet and if you asked me around 2002 if they were in delcine, I'd have said hell no and been in total denial but looking back now? The show began it's dip in the 11th season. Seasons 1-10 were gold and will probably never come close to being challenged as far as animation is concerned. But, I really think they should have called it quits after season 10. 

Much like the show Seinfeld which went off the air on top, The Simpsons could have and probably should have done the same after year 10. It's still good from time to time, but it's a shadow of what it was in the 90's.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

Season 10 had enough gems to justify its existence.

After that though... meh.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Conegamer said:

Season 10 had enough gems to justify its existence.

After that though... meh.

Season 10, yeah maybe.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

mornelithe said:

Actually, no, I don't agree.  The Simpsons had some great years, and some not so great years.  A rollercoaster of quality if you will.  However, I'd elect to watch the Simpsons over 95% of the horseshit people call TV nowadays.  Then again, watching TV, like playing a video game, is something you choose to do.  Fox will cancel the Simpson's, when it's no longer drawing big ratings.  Not only do I watch the Simpsons every week, I also watch reruns on FX constantly.

This. Real Housewives of (insert city here) is still on the air. MTV STILL exists. Dance Moms is a thing. Modern Family has been one of the most overrated comedies in the history of television. People are still calling for the cancellation of The Simpsons? It's not as if the quality has become so bad where it hurts the first 9 seasons or so of the show. The writers actually still care about their characters (looking at you Family Guy).

Never! The show isn't funny anymore but I still enjoy watching.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

the movie was surprisingly good however