By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii becomes 1st home console to have 10 games sell over 10 million!

And to think I had arguments with some people here, back in 2008, about Wii being the best platform for 3rd party devs, yeah right... Judging from this, i was right. 1/3 of all sw its here in this top ten. Formula to achieve this, alienate 3rd party on your most successful console, bundle every console ever sold with one or more games from your own portfolio (yes, that one with the games that use that same old characters over and over again) and tahdah. Well done nintendo.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network

That's great but ironic that it will end up with the lowest software sales numbers.

RolStoppable said:
Jranation said:
(...)

And to those that are saying bundles games doesn't count,Please show us how much those games sold without being bundled.

Well, that's easy.

1.) Wii Sports - It's the game that sold the Wii. It was never bundled in Japan and sold over 3m copies there, so only a complete and utter moron would argue that Wii Sports wouldn't have sold 10m copies as a standalone game.
2.) Mario Kart Wii - Crossed 10m before it got bundled.
3.) Wii Sports Resort - Crossed 10m before it got bundled.
4.) Wii Play - Was never bundled with the console as far as I recall.
5.) New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Crossed 10m before it got bundled.
6.) Wii Fit - Crossed 10m before it got bundled.
7.) Wii Fit Plus - Crossed 10m before it got bundled.
8.) Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Was never bundled with the console as far as I recall.
9.) Super Mario Galaxy - Was never bundled with the console as far as I recall.
10.) Just Dance 3 - Was never bundled with the console as far as I recall.

So it can be safely concluded that those who scream "Bundles!" either suffer from serious butthurt or lack the knowledge to discuss the topic. Of course, butthurt doesn't rule out ignorance or stupidity; these things aren't mutually exclusive.

Very true... but what is even more frightening is how many games they got over 20M and even more than that.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nintendo dropped the ball hard, it could have been the first one to have 5 games selling 30m+.

Haters

gonna

hate

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network
sergiodaly said:
And to think I had arguments with some people here, back in 2008, about Wii being the best platform for 3rd party devs, yeah right... Judging from this, i was right. 1/3 of all sw its here in this top ten. Formula to achieve this, alienate 3rd party on your most successful console, bundle every console ever sold with one or more games from your own portfolio (yes, that one with the games that use that same old characters over and over again) and tahdah. Well done nintendo.

It's on both Nintendo and Third Parties though. Third Party Publishers didn't allocate any budget to the system until it was taking off, and by then, the quality of their games.....I mean look at the quality of some their games now and you can see. 

Joaco <3 N64 said:
Nintendo dropped the ball hard, it could have been the first one to have 5 games selling 30m+.

How? Do you mean with the Wii U? Because they were well aware of what they intended to do when going into this new generation, and it was sort of the equivalent of MS trying to make a Mario Killer with Kinect last gen. It was always going to be a challenge for them.

But having said that, theres only a few third parties left. By the time next gen rolls round, there'll be even more indys with fresh talent looking to trust Nintendo's Indy dev. support more than MS's.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Wow! The little console that could. Easily the best Nintendo home console along with NES. 

megaman79 said:
Joaco <3 N64 said:

How? Do you mean with the Wii U? Because they were well aware of what they intended to do when going into this new generation, and it was sort of the equivalent of MS trying to make a Mario Killer with Kinect last gen. It was always going to be a challenge for them.

But having said that, theres only a few third parties left. By the time next gen rolls round, there'll be even more indys with fresh talent looking to trust Nintendo's Indy dev. support more than MS's.

No, I meant the Wii, it could have had 5 games selling 30m+ but its last years they didn't support it as they've should.

KLXVER said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It is when you're comparing it to other consoles which is what this thread is about. In order to compare, it needs to be apples to apples.

So youre saying that no other console maker had bundles...?

At launch? No. The PS3 and Xbox 360 did not have games bundled at launch like Wii Sports.