By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Up 6 December 2014

Next week of numbers for PS4 should be huge, with the boost from Japan and elsewhere

The One and Only

VizionEck.com

Around the Network
Ninsect said:
DexInDaJungle said:
Ninsect said:

PS4 adjusted down once again...

All three main consoles were adjusted down weren't they? Since early VGC numbers didn't match up with NPD.

What about the 100k behind in Germany? Why wasn't that added in turn?

I believe VGC will be forced to update when Official figures will be released by Sony.   I still think PS4 is undertracked by VGC by 300-500k in the Global.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Finally we get numbers! GTAV is selling a lot more then expected.

vivster said:
tbone51 said:

When SSBU gets that free promotion deal, then it'll be more fair.......... (and yes technically your correct)

Because everyone suddenly bought a Wii U and MK8 because of that little promotion. Without that promotion probably only half of the people would have ever gotten MK in those weeks.

C'mon dude.

Cuz i said sales would be cut in half right? MK certainly got a boost from it, thats all i was saying. And you call that a little promotion? Free Game with a purchase of 1 game = little promotion? Dafunkkk

It seems like there's only 3 consoles doing at least decently. PS4's November looks very similar to what I first predicted now while XB1 is much higher. I'd guess both totals are reasonably accurate although PS4 is still under in Germany! 

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
vivster said:
tbone51 said:

When SSBU gets that free promotion deal, then it'll be more fair.......... (and yes technically your correct)

Because everyone suddenly bought a Wii U and MK8 because of that little promotion. Without that promotion probably only half of the people would have ever gotten MK in those weeks.

C'mon dude.

Cuz i said sales would be cut in half right? MK certainly got a boost from it, thats all i was saying. And you call that a little promotion? Free Game with a purchase of 1 game = little promotion? Dafunkkk

1 additional free digital game to a bundle. That's maybe a little bargain but not even close to anything we've seen with other console bundles. Now if the console had an actual price cut that time, that would be a different thing.

So if it's not responsible for half the sales how much do you think it boosted sales? We can take that percentage off to make it fairer :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Mummelmann said:

Wii U basically flat yoy for this week (185k least year), did 265k on the week ending Dec. 14th last year and peaked the week after that at around 340k, all this in 2014 in the very recent wake of the second biggest title they will ever release on the platform, I wonder how long people will keep opposing my ideas for this console and its future.

One suffered a very big and equally predictable drop, NA accounting for almost 300k out of 515 shows the skewed balance in global numbers but also shows that my assumption all along is possibly correct (the One will win the US market, and likely the UK when all is said and done, and might end up at around 70% of the PS4's lifetime totals if things go well). At the very least; there is potential there for this console to do very well.

PS4 selling very well, as we've grown accustomed to over the span of 2014, actually showing numbers comparable to the Wii in the corresponding week in 2007, which was actually followed by a dip down to a "paltry" 680k the week after and then followed by a smashing week of over 1.4 million, showing for all how difficult, and possibly irrelevant, this comparison is since the Wii was ridiculously supply constrained and these numbers really reflect that. Another interesting tidbit is that the PS3 actually managed a 660k week in December 2007 in its first full CY, which also shines some light on the PS4's figures, and this was at a time when the PS3 was considered to still be moving very slowly overall and the price was very high and system selling software still lacking. The PS3 also managed two million selling weeks in a row in 2009, so numbers in this range are not automatically an indication of a "new PS2 era" that many seem to still believe we're seeing.

This is a good week, but not mindblowing by any measure, and the corresponding week in 2007 saw about 1.45 million home consoles sold against the roughly 1.4 million sold this week in 2014. The 3DS nails the biggest point though; it is down to almost 1/3 of the DS' numbers in the same week of 2007, that is really telling of the 3DS current situation and the health of the handheld market (about 2 million handhelds sold with the PSP added in, the PSP actually sold about 10% more on that week than the 3DS is showing in 2014).

Good read.

vivster said:
tbone51 said:
vivster said:
tbone51 said:

C'mon dude.

1 additional free digital game to a bundle. That's maybe a little bargain but not even close to anything we've seen with other console bundles. Now if the console had an actual price cut that time, that would be a different thing.

So if it's not responsible for half the sales how much do you think it boosted sales? We can take that percentage off to make it fairer :)

Wait, just 1 thing^ I could be reading that wrong but are you saying the free game only came with a bundle? (meaning buy mk8 wiiu bundle get game free?)

If thats wat you mean then yes its not a big deal as its something that quite happens alot especially with the other systems.

That said that wasnt the promotion. It was buy MK8 standalone, just the game get 1 of 4 games free (1 of 10 in Europe).

Thats damn huge^ 

WiiU sales depress me so much.

Like, given how many great games there are on the system it should be doing so well!

But it really seems like by the end of the year it'll still be below the Sega Saturn :(

tbone51 said:
vivster said:

Wait, just 1 thing^ I could be reading that wrong but are you saying the free game only came with a bundle? (meaning buy mk8 wiiu bundle get game free?)

If thats wat you mean then yes its not a big deal as its something that quite happens alot especially with the other systems.

That said that wasnt the promotion. It was buy MK8 standalone, just the game get 1 of 4 games free (1 of 10 in Europe).

Thats damn huge^ 

You are right, I forgot about that. Still, the selection wasn't really that stellar. Not even SM3DW or Donkey Kong in there.

So what's your guess on the boost? You're basically saying that there are (many?) people who wouldn't have bought MK8 at that time if it wasn't for the promotion.

edit: ah looks like we have global software now. Smash U is at 1.5m.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.